Mosquito KA114 Goes to the Paint Shop

Thread: Mosquito KA114 Goes to the Paint Shop

Mosquito KA114 Goes to the Paint Shop

Nearing ever closer to the aircraft's first flights taking place just next month, Jerry Yagen's Mosquito KA114, under restoration at Avspecs, located at Ardmore, New Zealand, was recently rolled over to the Airspray guys (located at the same airfield) for paint. The aircraft has been long finished in authentic/correct base silver dope (just as they were from the factory, before paint application), and will be painted in a standard RAF green/gray scheme, with (rightfully) the markings of a WWII RNZAF squadron example (a very historical one).

Here is some TV coverage with video: http://www.3news.co.nz/Mosquito-gets-fi ... fault.aspx<!-- m -->

And some photos posted here: http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi...d=16707&page=4

Note these latest views show the radiators and radiator intakes in-place (for the first time, I believe). The aircraft, in these views, actually looks less complete than it really is, however, as all of the cowlings and wingtips are finished, and they simply aren't fitted at this time, or at least at the time of the photos/video of the move. I believe the internal systems are now complete.

And the company's Facebook page that is doing the paint work on the Mosquito: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ai...59682704139188
    (They also did the painting of Rod Lewis' P-40C, that was also restored at Avspecs).
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Many would say the Spitfire was the most elegant fighter aircraft of WWII. I disagree. To me,...the <label for="rb_iconid_14"></label>Mossie<label for="rb_iconid_14"></label> wins hands down.
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

Some early images of the painting in process can be found here (only apppears glossy before drying to a nice matte-finish): https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/se...4139188&type=1

Just a bit more than six weeks away, and flying will surely commence sometime before the Sep. 29th show!

Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Going to be pretty cool seeing this fly ....maybe a formation with its DH stablemates - the Vampire and Venom (due to fly shortly)?

A recent photo via Airspray's Facebook page:

Also, here is a great recent article, about the restoration of the aircraft, the upcoming September events (it seems to sound like the first test flight might actually not happen until September 29, at the show itself (sort of like the P-38 "Glacier Girl's" test flight), and the pilots who have been selected to test fly it (I had no doubts who they might be): http://www.theaucklander.co.nz/news/restored-mosquito-to-fly-september2012/1506052/

In the article, Warren Denholm mentions that he'd like to fill KA114's spot with another (to be restored), as if at this time there isn't one - he's being very coy here, because he isn't allowed to make mention of the fact that the Flying Heritage Collection's complete Mosquito T.III is already in the shop, waiting its turn. ; ) (Because of the agreements that FHC/Vulcan insist on placing with the restoration companies they do business with, the restoration companies are often not even allowed to state that the project even exists in their shop, let alone lay mention to any updates or photos of the progress/work being done. The only reason why it is known that the FHC Mosquito is at Avspecs, is because it was photographed by some people outside of the companies, when it arrived (otherwise it has been shrouded behind covers in the Avspecs hangar, due to the secrecy that FHC/Vulcan enforce). Unfortunately, as a result, I don't imagine we will be seeing much if anything of the FHC Mosquito until it is completed, unlike KA114, which we have been able to follow along every step of the way.)

She's really coming along now (first look at the chosen code letters - the "EG" code is connected with 487 Squadron RNZAF (the Squadron markings the aircraft was said it would be painted in), though I'm not familiar with an "EG-Y" - at least not one of those which participated in the Amiens Raid (like EG-F, EG-T, and EG-R) - perhaps "Y for Yagen"? (which would be just fine in my book)):

I was at a car show yesterday, and started chatting with an elderly gentleman sitting next to me. After a while we got on to the subject of aviation, and it turned out he used to be a navigator on Mosquitos - but not in the military (although he had been an RAF navigator on Canberras). He flew in the Mosquito for three years in northern Canada, with Spartan Airways, when they were mapping the great wilderness up there. He had some amazing stories, and we must have chatted for approximately two hours. Said he had a large collection of photos in a box from that time, which he hadn't looked at in 30 years, and I strongly encouraged him to get in touch with the Canada Aviation Museum.

An example of the company aircraft: http://shortfinals.wordpress.com/201...anadian-twist/

Just a really nice experience.

Mike

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    Woohoo she is getting closer to being here at the museum! We really need to get the German hangar done so we have room for her when she arrives. Otherwise it will have to go outside with the Ju-52 since there is no room left in the other hangars.
    Steve
    FSX Hours: 3000+

Mike, what a wonderful experience that must have been! I don't know how much most people with an interest in warbirds know about how much service aircraft like the Mosquito had in the years after WWII (both military and civilian). One of the unique items (amongst many) within the now restored KA114, is the pilot's leather seat, which is completely original, correct to WWII era, but was manufactured in 1948 - found/purchased still in its original box/crate (as was another, to be used on one of the other Mosquito projects).

KA114 actually originated from Canada, but never had much flight time on it. It was manufactured in Toronto, at De Havilland Canada's Downsview factory, and only served very briefly, in Nova Scotia, between late February and late April 1945, only to be put into reserve storage, where it remained until 1947. It was finally put up for public disposal in April 1948. It was then purchased by a farmer, who stored it on his land for the next 30 years. In 1978, a member of the Canadian Museum of Flight and Transport heard about it, and negotiated a deal to transfer it to the museum. When found, it no longer had its engines or landing gear, and was in very poor (but essentially complete) condition. As the aircraft was being recovered and put onto a trailer, the wooden fuselage disintegrated, with the fuselage breaking in two (a solid indicator of the poor state the wood had reached after being exposed to the elements for so many years). Despite this, however, with the Mosquito still having as large a percentage of metal throughout as it does, which was all still in good condition, the aircraft remained in storage at CMFT until it was purchased in/around 2004 by Jerry Yagen (to provide a project to utilize a fuselage built by Glyn Powell). Although all of the wood is of course new on the restored KA114, it is filled with tons of original metal fittings and other items from the original aircraft and others.

The paint work on KA114 is now finished, and the aircraft was photographed being moved back to the Avspecs hangar. Now final assembly will take place, and many further tests, checks, and calibrations before the big day arrives.

Photos from the move:
    http://mrcaviation.blogspot.co.nz/20...sie-moved.html