... and to the Republic for Which We Stand ...
Page 1 of 15 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: ... and to the Republic for Which We Stand ...

... and to the Republic for Which We Stand ...

Well, I got the xp47j out of the back of the hangar and started the serious mods necessary to get her up to date.

Exterior model is complete but work on the VC interior and panel/gauges remain, and in progress.

This is good "filler work" as most of the heavy lifting is done, and Fliger has the flight model mostly completed.

I can't remember where the 2D panel bitmap came from so if anyone can help identify it, I need to request permission to use it.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Watch out for brown recluse spiders lurking inside that XP-47J, it's been stored away for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Watch out for brown recluse spiders lurking inside that XP-47J, it's been stored away for awhile.
    True that is; I actually started this project in May 2007. :-)

Gave the gmax source to someone 2 years ago and they released their modified version of it.

After further mods in 2010 and 2011 and completing the exterior model, now updating the interior model with serious cockpit work, and hope to get it done with the group of aircraft in progress.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    For what it's worth, that panel has a number of gauges in it that look like something out of CFS2 . . . think they're from one of those aircraft?

The gauges are all temporary.

The bmp and VC will look more like the real thing (by that I mean like the "N" that was under development about the time this was being tested).
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Any time Uncle Milton talks about releasing ...

... a WWII era aircraft I get the same feeling I had when I was 10 years old and it was Christmas morning!

Thanks Milton and team!

PS and OT, glad to hear Nigel is feeling better!

Milton,

That 2D panel BMP is the same one that came with Gnoopey's P-47. Inside is a readme from the author, Claudio Di Lullo. I'll PM the details (e-mail etc.)

- Paul
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Milton,

That 2D panel BMP is the same one that came with Gnoopey's P-47. Inside is a readme from the author, Claudio Di Lullo. I'll PM the details (e-mail etc.)

- Paul
    A

Ah yes, thank you Paul. It would be nice to use for a basic 2D panel but I think I will use a variant of the VC panel instead. I will use this one for testing until I get the VC done however. Thank you for your time and research. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Another "Battle Wagon"... bristling with all the latest and greatest weapons technology that 1941 can offer.... It is a rather nice looking bird tho. Looks really good, Milton. Can't wait to see the finished version in all it's magnificant glory. LOL!

:ernae: - BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Interesting facts about the series: http://www.faqs.org/docs/air/avp47.html#m7

"The "XP-47J" began as a November 1942 request to Republic for a "hot rod" version of the Thunderbolt, using a lighter airframe and an uprated engine with water injection and fan cooling. Kartveli designed an aircraft fitted a tight-cowled Pratt & Whitney R-2800-57(C) engine with a war emergency rating of 2,090 kW (2,800 HP), reduced armament of six machine guns, a new and lighter wing, and many other changes.

The first and only XP-47J was first flown in late November 1943, but by this time Republic had moved on to a new concept, the "XP-72", described in the next section, and the XP-47J was used mainly as a test machine. With various refinements, such as a GE CH-5 turbosupercharger, this aircraft achieved a top speed of 813 KPH (505 MPH) in level flight in August 1944, making it one of the fastest piston engine fighters ever built. However, the new jet aircraft being designed were clearly capable of much better performance, and the XP-47J was a dead end."
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

After finishing that off, how about the XP-69. I know you could pull it off, but Nigel would have a real challenge with the Wright R-2160 Tornado engine

A bit of research material here....

http://crgis.ndc.nasa.gov/historic/T...and_Cooling%29

http://www.weakforcepress.com/XP-69/index.html

I know building one off airplanes is almost a waste of a talented polybenders talents and every detail of such a project is much more difficult due to the limited details available.

Cheers
    Stefan

That is one hot puppy, Mr. Shupe!

- H52
    A tad high and a tad hot is better than a tad low and a tad slow - H52

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny9850 View Post
    After finishing that off, how about the XP-69. I know you could pull it off, but Nigel would have a real challenge with the Wright R-2160 Tornado engine

A bit of research material here....

http://crgis.ndc.nasa.gov/historic/T...and_Cooling%29

http://www.weakforcepress.com/XP-69/index.html

I know building one off airplanes is almost a waste of a talented polybenders talents and every detail of such a project is much more difficult due to the limited details available.

Cheers
    Stefan
    Wow! Amazing that those drawings are still available! I have only seen one picture of the 69 so that is very interesting. :-)

If I do variants, I would do the XP47H. It's ugly and awesome at the same time. :-) Of course the xp72 would also be fairly easy to get out if I share cockpits with the xp47j.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye52 View Post
    That is one hot puppy, Mr. Shupe!

- H52

Legally "Hot" indeed ... she can be a handful if abused. Fliger did the FM for this one.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

"If I do variants, I would do the XP47H. It's ugly and awesome at the same time."

Lordy Lord A'mighty!! I was HOPING you'd say that.

- H52

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    If I do variants, I would do the XP47H. It's ugly and awesome at the same time. :-)
    Oh, real Hemi power. I've always liked this beast.

I have to say, the XP-47J is my favorite though. My understanding is Kartveli was originally asked to develop it to counter the FW-190. This could get me out of my Bearcat.

"If I do variants, I would do the XP47H. It's ugly and awesome at the same time."

Lordy Lord A'mighty!! I was HOPING you'd say that.

- H52
    Yup, been wanting to do this for a long time too. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Oh, real Hemi power. I've always liked this beast.

I have to say, the XP-47J is my favorite though. My understanding is Kartveli was originally asked to develop it to counter the FW-190. This could get me out of my Bearcat.
    Plenty of toys and time to enjoy each, one at a time. :-)

Mean looking too!
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

No question about it; the Jug is one BIG aeroplane!

- H52

Will be fun to peek back at the flight dynamics for this one, as a light weight souped up jug it is a fun flier. Glad to see this one floating to the surface!

T

No question about it; the Jug is one BIG aeroplane!

- H52
    AND... just imagine how hard it was to see over the nose cone of that thing. Definately a case for "weaving" back and forth over the centerline on the taxiway. But once in the air... Oh what fun!!

BB686:USA-flag:

Well, while awaiting textures for the Avia 57, the Harpoon, the Dash 7, and the S2Turbo, I thought I would get the XP47H going ... and I am making some headway here. :-)

Now if we can just get that inverted Chrysler cranking out the proper HP, and get some appropriate sounds assimilated ...
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I wonder what the beast sounded like? An inverted 16 cylinder engine with both turbo and supercharging. Must have been pretty awesome.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Well, while awaiting textures for the Avia 57, the Harpoon, the Dash 7, and the S2Turbo, I thought I would get the XP47H going ... and I am making some headway here. :-)

Now if we can just get that inverted Chrysler cranking out the proper HP, and get some appropriate sounds assimilated ...
    I doubt if there is anyone left alive that ever heard that proto hemi run. But it would sound different than the v12's based on there being a difference in sound between a wedge and a hemi v8 with similar exhaust systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdflieger View Post
    I wonder what the beast sounded like? An inverted 16 cylinder engine with both turbo and supercharging. Must have been pretty awesome.
    Just LOOK at how streamlined that engine is. Now that is some real design engineering. It probably had a very unique sound... being inverted, my guess would be that it sounded like a Daimler-Benz DB-603 on steroids.

BB686:USA-flag:

A little more "H" progress to share getting all the exterior skin ports and exhausts in place.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Very shark like. It's looking great.