... and to the Republic for Which We Stand ... - Page 8
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: ... and to the Republic for Which We Stand ...

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    Impressive report Milton. The XP-47J was indeed a real powerhouse of a plane.
    Interesting to note that XP-47J was faster and more agile than it's successor, the XP-72 Superbolt. Suffice to say both versions of the "venerable ol' Jug" fell victim to the jet age.

BB686
    Yes, the "J" was faster than the "H" as well by about 10 knots but the Chrysler GE TSC wasn't fully tweaked in time for testing either. We will likely bring in the "H" at 490 MPH ground speed at altitude and the "J" around 500 MPG GS. Fliger747 has a great job tweaking the performance on both these race horses.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post

Duckie and Nigel have done yeomen's duty on these schemes and interiors I assure you. Fliger747 has been working and tweaking the FM's for these two for a long time, so long that Nigel who can't stay idle for long is on his 4th sound set variation for the "J". Music to my ears.
    Greetings from Uncles;

Milt, Tom, Steve (Duckie), Nigel and Aunt Mabel (she makes great coffee).

Attachment 6304
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Blog Entries
    Yes, the "J" was faster than the "H" as well by about 10 knots but the Chrysler GE TSC wasn't fully tweaked in time for testing either. We will likely bring in the "H" at 490 MPH ground speed at altitude and the "J" around 500 MPG GS. Fliger747 has a great job tweaking the performance on both these race horses.
    No.6) tick. tick, tick...X?...

Cover!!!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

The XP-72 Superbolt used the P&W Major Wasp Engine.... So the P-47-H should be pretty close to the Superbolt's performance envelope. Note the rate of climb numbers on the Superbolt:

General characteristics
    Crew: One
    Length: 36 ft 7 in (11.15 m)
    Wingspan: 40 ft 11 in (12.47 m)
    Height: 16 ft (4.88 m)
    Wing area: 300 ft² (27.9 m²)
    Empty weight: 11,476 lb (5,216 kg)
    Loaded weight: 14,433 lb (6,560 kg)
    Max. takeoff weight: 17,490 lb (7,950 kg)
    Powerplant: 1 × Pratt & Whitney R-4360-13 radial engine, 3,500 hp (dash 13 engine) (2,574 kW)Performance
    Maximum speed: 490 mph (789 km/h)[1][N 1]/ 387mph (623 km/h at sea level)
    Range: 1,200 miles (1,932 km)
    Service ceiling: 42,000 ft (12,805 m)
    Rate of climb: 5,280 ft/min (26.8 m/s)
    Wing loading: 48.1 lb/ft² (235 kg/m²)
    Power/mass: 0.24 hp/lb (0.39 kW/kg)

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    Greetings from Uncles;

Milt, Tom, Steve (Duckie), Nigel and Aunt Mabel (she makes great coffee).

Attachment 6304
    Laughing my head off!

Tom,

The big difference between the XP-72 and the XP47H was weight.

The "H" was basically a P-47B with the nose severed at the firewall and rebuilt to house the Chrysler V-16. So the aircraft was quite heavy at gross weight over 14,000 lbs.

The XP-72 was built to be light weight, more streamlined, and run two props. Performance testing was done with the single prop as the counter-rotating prop setup was not ready at the time of flight testing.

Added to the mix of testing, the GE turbo-supercharger was not yet fully functional at the time of testing either the 72, 47J, or the 47H as I understand it.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Tom,

The big difference between the XP-72 and the XP47H was weight.

The "H" was basically a P-47B with the nose severed at the firewall and rebuilt to house the Chrysler V-16. So the aircraft was quite heavy at gross weight over 14,000 lbs.

The XP-72 was built to be light weight, more streamlined, and run two props. Performance testing was done with the single prop as the counter-rotating prop setup was not ready at the time of flight testing.

Added to the mix of testing, the GE turbo-supercharger was not yet fully functional at the time of testing either the 72, 47J, or the 47H as I understand it.
    Everything was being rushed along during development and testing. If the aircraft companies were allowed more time to work out the knots... I'll bet the P-47H would have been an even better performer than what we read about. There also was a P-47Q, I believe, but I don't have that much data on that version of the P-47.
    I couldn't help noticing the rate of climb for the Superbolt.... 5280 ft/min. A MILE A MINUTE!!! Now that's impressive for what the plane had at the time. None the less, I get white knuckles sitting here just thinking about the "H" and the "J" for FS.

BB686

You bet Tom. Once we wrap up the beta preparations, I'll ensure you are on the list of testers. Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

LOL Thanks guys. :-)

I am looking for two XML based gauges: an accelerometer and a turbo RPM gauge. Anyone know if these exist in freeware that may be share-able with permissions?
    We can scratch this request; I wrote my own.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by wbuchart View Post
    ... a WWII era aircraft I get the same feeling I had when I was 10 years old and it was Christmas morning!

Thanks Milton and team!

PS and OT, glad to hear Nigel is feeling better!
    Around the time I was getting into FS9 in 2004, Milton released his wonderful Howard 500. I've always had a strong affection for old radial twins and Milton's Howard was an instant grab. In fact, the Howard was the first FS9 aircraft I successfully landed.

Bob
    CPU: Intel i7-5960X OC 4.5
    MOBO: Asus X99 Deluxe
    RAM: 16GB (4x4) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2800
    GPU: Asus STRIX GeForce GTX980
    PSU: SeaSonic X850
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB (FS9)
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB (FSX)
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
    HDD: WD 7200 Black 1TB
    CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo (white)
    CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

Blog Entries

And an AWESOME job you've done rolling them, I must say, Sir!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Quote Originally Posted by rpjkw View Post
    Around the time I was getting into FS9 in 2004, Milton released his wonderful Howard 500. I've always had a strong affection for old radial twins and Milton's Howard was an instant grab. In fact, the Howard was the first FS9 aircraft I successfully landed.

Bob
    Well, thank you Bob. :-)

If the Howard 500 was the first you landed, that was quite the feat. It can be cantankerous if you do not keep your speed and power up. Hopefully you will enjoy the oncoming Harpoon and Lodestar family of aircraft coming in the June-July time frame.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Necessity is the mother of ..... Gauge making? ;-)

Thank you Milton.
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Reno May Never Be the Same ...

... when this shows up. Chrysler V-16 Turbo-Supercharged with a lick-overhead-jam-5, an AM and an FM, and double-clutching SC.

Hope to have a beta available by Saturday for interested parties with some time on their hands.

Can the 47J be far behind?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries

Interested parties?...

Attachment 6666 Attachment 6667 Attachment 6668

Version;1 (still polishin')

But watch this space...

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Milton -- That VC is stunning! Definitely payware quality IMO. Nigel, you have quite the imagination for paints and I enjoy seeing those images you think of, come to life on the XP-47H/J. If the "Savanna Queen" is any testament... the "H"/"J" Thunderbolts will be cracking fine work, mate.

BB686

Blog Entries
    Milton -- That VC is stunning! Definitely payware quality IMO. Nigel, you have quite the imagination for paints and I enjoy seeing those images you think of, come to life on the XP-47H/J. If the "Savanna Queen" is any testament... the "H"/"J" Thunderbolts will be cracking fine work, mate.

BB686
    Thanks Tom - the 'H' is beautiful Artwork from Duckie,
    yes his VC work is very professional too.

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Nigel, that texture you're working on is FANTASTIC!

I hope to see this on the downloads section soon.

BB686
    The "H" textures and cockpit are managed by Duckie; the "J" textures and cockpit are managed by Nigel

The FDE is by Tom Falley, "Fliger747", the sounds by Nigel, and we have are honoring the memory of Damian Radice with his original XP47J paint scheme.

Thanks for your interest. We should be able to get this released during April after the beta test phase.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

OK then... I thought the pics of the "J" model were Nigel's textures on the plane. Duckie's work is also superb, I have all of his A-4 Skyhawk repaints he did for the Razbam Scooters as of late, and his C-47 "Air Rescue Service" paints... among others. Reckon I've been outta the loop too long.

BB686

OK then... I thought the pics of the "J" model were Nigel's textures on the plane. Duckie's work is also superb, I have all of his A-4 Skyhawk repaints he did for the Razbam Scooters as of late, and his C-47 "Air Rescue Service" paints... among others. Reckon I've been outta the loop too long.

BB686
    LOL Tom; the issue is more mine. We have worked hard to keep the models separate and individualized. But the issue is that I have dragged this Republic XP project of teh 72, 47J, and 47H out over 7 years. Yes, seven years.

The xp-72 project initially started in May 2007. Once the xp-72 exterior was modeled, I started the XP-47J. But I was sidetracked then with other things. Got back on the J in late 2009 and Damian Radice started textures as shown below in Nov 2009. In May of 2010, we had J textures. Other projects were keeping us busy and then Damian Radice passed away in 2011 never seeing this completed. That took the wind out of my Republic sails for awhile. In 2013 at Nigel's encouragement, I got back on it eventually adding the XP-47H model. Nigel volunteered for the J work and Duckie for the H work and these projects were interrupted with some real world issues early during 2013 and we all took a break from it.

In late Fall 2013, we regrouped and committed to getting this project completed. I finally broke my mental block to getting a proper VC done. Nigel, Duckie, and Tom have worked steadily since to bring this to fruition.

I hope you all will be happy with the results and I am pleased to get this out in Damian "Windrunner" Radice's memory.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

They're looking absolutely amazing. To be honest I was shocked when you announced you were working on an XP-47J, because I thought we would never see one of those in FS. Then when you announced you were also going to make an XP-47H as well I was doubly surprised and very, very happy. On top of that, you've had such quality help on it from Duckie, Nigel, Fliger and the late Damien, that means it definitely ends up being a very high quality project. Plus, it's also nice working in a group for the mutual support.

Great work guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    They're looking absolutely amazing. To be honest I was shocked when you announced you were working on an XP-47J, because I thought we would never see one of those in FS. Then when you announced you were also going to make an XP-47H as well I was doubly surprised and very, very happy. On top of that, you've had such quality help on it from Duckie, Nigel, Fliger and the late Damien, that means it definitely ends up being a very high quality project. Plus, it's also nice working in a group for the mutual support.

Great work guys.
    Hear hear!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I doubt if there is anyone left alive that ever heard that proto hemi run. But it would sound different than the v12's based on there being a difference in sound between a wedge and a hemi v8 with similar exhaust systems.
    I guess we will find out soon what Nigel thinks it sounded like, but I agree with you Sir. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I guess we will find out soon what Nigel thinks it sounded like, but I agree with you Sir. :-)
    Giving that problem a little thought I would go back to 1964-65 drag racers and compare the 426 wedge sound to the 426 hemi sound they were switching to at that time. Both had 2 4bbl carbs so the heads were the main difference. Once you get the sound you like just double the frequency for the same RPM and you should be somewhere close. We still won't know what it sounded like but it's fun to speculate.