... and to the Republic for Which We Stand ... - Page 7
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: ... and to the Republic for Which We Stand ...

Those Experimental P-47s are a Beaut, Milton. Can't wait to try 'em out.

Nigel, How are the engine sounds coming along?

Quote Originally Posted by BoeingvsAirbusNKL View Post
    Those Experimental P-47s are a Beaut, Milton. Can't wait to try 'em out.

Nigel, How are the engine sounds coming along?
    The "J's" sounds are becoming more realistic with each round. We just threw in some added challenges Nigel is addressing regarding the canopy, magneto tests, prop bite, and supercharger air flow through the cockpit.

I really look forward to what can be done with sounds for the "H" model's turbosupercharged Chrysler inverted V16 :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    I really look forward to what can be done with sounds for the "H" model's turbosupercharged Chrysler inverted V16 :-)
    She'll probably whistle, and hum along at the same time. And don't forget those "smooooth" transitions when you advance the throttle, chaps. Nope... no "rotten oranges" here...LOL!

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

The "J's" sounds are becoming more realistic with each round. We just threw in some added challenges Nigel is addressing regarding the canopy, magneto tests, prop bite, and supercharger air flow through the cockpit.

Thanks for the info, Milton.

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Squish...plop...squish...plop...squiiiiish...

Attachment 1570 Attachment 1571
    Attachment 1573 Attachment 1572

Oh sorry, must have been one of those rotten oranges...hmmm!

or was it an over-ripe olive?
    (blasted canopy runners!)

Aha!

Hello Ole Cocks!
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Blog Entries

Ready Razz!

Attachment 1574

and... ah...what's that?

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    Attachment 1574

and... ah...what's that?
    You know... the propeller on the front of that jug is actually a big fan... designed to keep the pilot cool. When the prop stops turning, as depicted in your screen shot... you can actually start to see the pilot sweat. (Taken from "Rules of the Air"). Stop eating all the bloody oranges and start that thing back up!

BB686

Blog Entries

Oyl!!!

Oh, you mean the "Olives" will be ripe soon. That is a striking paint scheme! Very sharp looking. Gotta get these VC's done.
    Yes Sir!

OYL!
    Attachment 1575

just a few more hours in the oven.

Y'all come back now...hear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtvTE3m5jpM

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

This thread has been quiet but behind the scenes, lots of work going on with these two experimentals.

Duckie has been crankin' on the XP47H VC textures as Nigel has been crankin' on the XP47J cockpit textures.

We also added a bubble cockpit version for both aircraft types for some special liveries.

Just trying to wrap up 2D cockpit work now and then we shall prepare for the beta testing phase.

Fliger has finalized the "J" flight model but the "H" needs a little tweak I think.

Sounds completed for the "J" but those big Chrysler V-16 sounds are a WIP for now.

Duckie's Reno Racer should be popular; well, it is with me although I love the vintage stuff as well.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

And Some Screens of the XP47J WIP

Adding to the above posted Duckie "H" collection are a few shots of Nigel's work.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Ho my god! what a beautiful aircraft!

I swear, it's like looking at and sitting in a real world classic warbird. I would say unbelievable but
    considering where it's coming from.. It's not!

I can not wait to jump into that cold cockpit.
    "May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, And may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars" Cheers George!

Those are looking amazing! It's great to hear there will be bubble canopy versions as well. That's going to give us some great choices for some really interesting repaints.

"RAAAZZZZZ... WHIP"! LOL!

Some nice stuff there, Milton.

BB686

Milton, and Nigel... Really amazing and beautiful work !!...

Great work guys!

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOBO View Post
    Milton, and Nigel... Really amazing and beautiful work !!...
    You must include Duckie in that list as well. He has the XP47H and Nigel has the XP47J responsibilities. Fliger747 had the flight model duties for both very different aircraft. Lots of things coming together now as we put the finishing touches on them.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    Ho my god! what a beautiful aircraft!

I swear, it's like looking at and sitting in a real world classic warbird. I would say unbelievable but
    considering where it's coming from.. It's not!

I can not wait to jump into that cold cockpit.
    It is a fun place to be unless of course you have to paint all those individual parts :-) It's been an arduous and challenging task at times but rewarding in the end for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Those are looking amazing! It's great to hear there will be bubble canopy versions as well. That's going to give us some great choices for some really interesting repaints.
    Yes, just when you think you are done with the modeling thing, someone gets a brilliant idea (Nigel) to add some fun to the pot. :-) I do have some side views of some great paint possibilities that I will post as well. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    "RAAAZZZZZ... WHIP"! LOL!

Some nice stuff there, Milton.

BB686
    Thanks Tom; these have been a long time coming as I and Damian Radice started the "J" in 2009. I set them aside to conclude the AT-11 project and did not pick them back up again until last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Great work guys!

Cees
    Duckie and Nigel have done yeomen's duty on these schemes and interiors I assure you. Fliger747 has been working and tweaking the FM's for these two for a long time, so long that Nigel who can't stay idle for long is on his 4th sound set variation for the "J". Music to my ears.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

You must include Duckie in that list as well. He has the XP47H and Nigel has the XP47J responsibilities. Fliger747 had the flight model duties for both very different aircraft. Lots of things coming together now as we put the finishing touches on them.

Milton, Nigel, Duckie, Fliger747.... Apparently, a Great pack to come... ...

Blog Entries

Duckie and Nigel have done yeomen's duty on these schemes and interiors I assure you. Fliger747 has been working and tweaking the FM's for these two for a long time, so long that Nigel who can't stay idle for long is on his 4th sound set variation for the "J". Music to my ears.
    Np.5; A concerto to grant a very special wish.

No.6; A wish...a day dream...an obsession?

No.7; FINISH TEH HARPOON - PDQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Great work guys! Thanks for all your efforts!

Cheers,
    Huub

Last night was an FSX port over testing event starting with the xp47j and finishing with the CRDA Z1007.

After a few minor texture alpha fixes, things are just about perfect, at least on the ground. "Air time" comes after the ground checks :-)

I also got a quick satisfying peek at the XP47H but had to stay focused on the task at hand.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Two other bright stars thundering in the sky.

LOL Thanks guys. :-)

I am looking for two XML based gauges: an accelerometer and a turbo RPM gauge. Anyone know if these exist in freeware that may be share-able with permissions?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

XP47J Performance

The fastest version of the Thunderbolt was the XP-47J, which was proposed in November 1942 as a lighter-weight version of the Thunderbolt designed to explore the outer limits of the design's basic performance envelope. The XP-47J was fitted with a 2800 hp Pratt and Whitney R-2800-57(C) housed inside a close-fitting cowling and cooled by a fan. The ventral intake for the CH-5 turbosupercharger was separated from the engine cowling and moved aft. The four-bladed propeller was fitted with a large conical-shaped spinner. The wing structure was lightened and the armament was reduced from eight to six 0.50-inch machine guns. The contract was approved on June 18, 1943.

The XP-47J was a completely new airframe and not a conversion of an existing P-47D. The serial number was 43-46952. The XP-47J flew for the first time on November 26, 1943. On August 4, 1944, it attained a speed of 504 mph in level fight, becoming the first propeller-driven fighter to exceed 500 mph. At one time, it was proposed that the J model would be introduced onto the production line, but the advent of the even more advanced XP-72 resulted in plans for the production of the P-47J being abandoned before any more could be completed.

A proposal to adapt the XP-47J to use contrarotating propellers with an R-2800-61 engine was dropped.

Maximum speed of the XP-47J was 507 mph at 34,300 feet, range was 765 miles at 400 mph, 1070 miles at economical cruising speed. An altitude of 15,000 feet could be reached in 4.5 minutes. Service ceiling was 45,000 feet. Weights were 9663 pounds empty, 12,400 pounds normal loaded, 16,780 pounds maximum. Wingspan was 40 feet 11 inches, length was 33 feet 3 inches, height was 14 feet 2 inches, and wing area was 300 square feet.

------------------------------ More -----------------------------------

The "J" was fitted with a high output version of the P&W R-2800. Specifically, the R-2800-57. This engine made 2,800 hp @ 2,800 rpm at 35,000 feet. This is in War Emergency Power.

The aircraft actually attained 507 mph at an altitude of 34,300 feet. 2,800 hp is 133% of rated power. At military power (100%), the XP-47J could sustain 470 mph. 435 mph was attained at 81% of its rated power (1,700 hp). All performance figures were obtained at 34,300 feet.

The "J" model was an especially good climbing fighter too. It had a climb rate at sea level of 4,900 fpm. At 20,000 feet, it was still rocketing up at 4,400 fpm, and got there in 4 minutes, 15 seconds. Time to 30,000 feet was only 6 minutes, 45 seconds. Now that's an interceptor! Yet it had a usable range of 1,075 miles. Rather impressive, don't you think? No, this was not a stripped down hotrod. It was fully armed and carried ballast in the wings equal to 267 rds per gun. The aircraft was flown to a height of 46,500 feet and was capable of a bit more.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/avi...rvice-913.html
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Impressive report Milton. The XP-47J was indeed a real powerhouse of a plane.
    Interesting to note that XP-47J was faster and more agile than it's successor, the XP-72 Superbolt. Suffice to say both versions of the "venerable ol' Jug" fell victim to the jet age.

BB686