Interesting French page on German bunkers

Thread: Interesting French page on German bunkers

Interesting French page on German bunkers

While searching for information on a German bunker (Regelbau 608) we have in Copenhagen, I found this interesting French site with computer models of several bunkertypes - even some that Rami has asked for. Files may be downloaded via the "telecharger" button.
    http://www.militarytrainz.com/t%C3%A9l%C3%A9chargements/atlantik-wall-bunkers-part-3/

The files however are not for everyone to use, since they come as .im and .tga files
    :isadizzy:Finn

My French is limited to about 5 words, can any of our French reading/speaking members check to see if these models are free to use or if there are conditions/permissions required ? :ernae:

They can be converted, but would need their creators permission. :salute:

EDIT:

After looking through the site most of the models are Google Sketchup 3D models that were created by other persons.
    Any use of their models would need checking with the original creator for okay and approval.
    Some of the models are of excellent quality, some of them are early attempts at learning Sketchup 3D.

SOH-CM-2013
    Madison County, Iowa (3rd Corn Patch On The Left)

Question How To Open ?

Seagull;

I have Google Sketch-up 8, but it refuses to open ANY of these files.
    :isadizzy:

What am I doing wrong ?
    SC

"...And, When I died, They washed me out of the turret with a hose..."

The files on the site linked above have all been converted to Trainz format hence the filename *******.im
    This is done with a utility called RubyTMIX_1_1_0.zip

2 options :-
    Use another program to convert the *******.im file to a .obj or a .3ds file (I prefer the .obj file as you also get the textures translated over)
    or
    You locate the original Sketchup .skp model and open them in Google Sketchup (now called Trimble Sketchup)

There are a number of ways of converting Sketchup to usable files in other formats, however the main thing to remember is that traditional 3D models the vertice edge lines while sketchup models the actual surfaces. This can cause issues depending on how you want to use the models.
    Some of the work done in Sketchup is top quality, some is also very ordinary so you need to look at the model and assess if it is what you want.

The other main issue is that any conversion that is used for other than private purposes should have the original modellers okay to do so.
    With the top quality work that has been done it would be great to see that work continue and for us to obtain permissions to use those files in our mods with full credit given.

SOH-CM-2013
    Madison County, Iowa (3rd Corn Patch On The Left)

Exclamation Ah !

I understand now - I'm going to dig around and find a usable conversion proggie, unless you have a recommendation.....?

And I just wanted to SEE the bunkers and such - no plans for conversions ATT....

Thanks
    SC
    "...And, When I died, They washed me out of the turret with a hose..."

Hello SC

Check your PMs !!!!!!!

Regards SGV

Some of the models are really great!! They would be a great addition to CFS2 if they could be converted.

Very interesting site. Thanks for sharing.

Hi
    Sketchup models and any other type of model made with other 3d modeling software do not always convert easy. What I do is convert a sketchup model with modelconverterx to 3ds and then use this model as a template. While working with that model I research it.
    I have converted cfs3 models for my own use and a way of studying how diffrent artist work.
    There is no better satisfaction than looKing at drawings and plans to build your own model.
    I built but its lost forever now, a model of monticassino abbey as it is now. It was a very difficute
    model but the textures was the hardest.
    I have converted some macros and studied how they were built, and see if can I make them more frame rate friendly.
    In the magazine coming out in August there is a section in there on adding LOD'S to a model.
    RJ

I have converted cfs3 models for my own use
    how'd you do that?