The best way to install FSX..?

Thread: The best way to install FSX..?

The best way to install FSX..?

Concidering a reinstall of FSX on my system and adding one or two additional harddisks to boost the performance
    what is THE optimal way to install FSX?
    what amound of memory is optimal (Vista os)
    Should i install THE scenery separate on a harddisks?
    where is THE best place to install FSX ( program files, microsoft games....) or is an other path better?
    :salute:

This is my one out of thousand roads which lead to Rome:

Windows 7 - 32bit Home Premium + all non-FS Programs on harddisk.
    Memory: 4GB RAM (more than 4GB does not make much sense for a 32bit OS, even if I had the 64bit OS installed, FSX will not benefit from any extra memory because it still is a 32bit program. Even flying over a dense urban area, the task manager indicates the amount of total used RAM stays well below 2GB.

FSX + addon scenery + addon aircraft on a dedicated SSD. Using the SSD really did speed up the time it takes to load the program. Path does not influence speed so I would stick to the default suggested by the installer: \Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\

Conclusion: If you want to buy another HD specially for FSX or the scenery files, go for an SSD. Assuming you run Vista 32bit I would not invest in more than 4GB RAM. Some tweaking of the FSX.CFG file will probably help you more - Jesus Bojote has an excellent tool for that:
    http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

And this is what most experts say: To run FSX with minimal stutters you need a fat CPU with high clock speeds, preferably 3.5 - 4.0 Ghz.

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post

FSX + addon scenery + addon aircraft on a dedicated SSD. Using the SSD really did speed up the time it takes to load the program. Path does not influence speed so I would stick to the default suggested by the installer: \Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\
    Not because of the speed but if you want to edit something (and that certainly will happen from time to time) I'd prefere to put the sim into some other folder than the default. Some third party programs may not run properly in the default folder either.

2 words -

hammer and duct tape

Quote Originally Posted by cheezyflier View Post
    2 words -

hammer and duct tape
    I was going to say either prayer or lots of alcohol...

Time. Take your time reinstalling it.

I bought the FSX:Gold version to install on the new computer.
    Seems like it's cheaper than most budget add-ons, if you do a little online hunting.
    Made it easier to install everything in one shot, least for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post
    This is my one out of thousand roads which lead to Rome:

Windows 7 - 32bit Home Premium + all non-FS Programs on harddisk.
    Memory: 4GB RAM (more than 4GB does not make much sense for a 32bit OS, even if I had the 64bit OS installed, FSX will not benefit from any extra memory because it still is a 32bit program. Even flying over a dense urban area, the task manager indicates the amount of total used RAM stays well below 2GB.

Conclusion: If you want to buy another HD specially for FSX or the scenery files, go for an SSD. Assuming you run Vista 32bit I would not invest in more than 4GB RAM. Some tweaking of the FSX.CFG file will probably help you more - Jesus Bojote has an excellent tool for that:
    http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

And this is what most experts say: To run FSX with minimal stutters you need a fat CPU with high clock speeds, preferably 3.5 - 4.0 Ghz.
    Thanks Henk for your excelent knowledge of FSX and add ons