Meshbuilderbudgets V2

Thread: Meshbuilderbudgets V2

SOH-CM-2020

Meshbuilderbudgets V2

I've submitted an updated meshbuilderbudgets.xml file to SOH, for inclusion under CFS3 Other. It is an improvement on the original that I submitted. NB largely trialled on a modified stock testbed.

Also included are my scenery and terrain texture budget xmls, and comments on the configoverrides file. I suspect that the meshbuilderbudgets file renders best when the other files are in sync. The reason being that sometimes when I tested in other installs I couldn't see so much difference, but in the stock install together with the overrides files it is an improvement IMHO.

Well worth trying in other installs too.

David

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    You can Bet, I shall jump on this like a chicken on a June Bug!!
    Thanks very much for you great work..
    BRAVO!!

Will the new mesh files work in ETO 1.4?

David, thanks for sharing your new files. Do you know if they will work with the ETO 1.4 expansion? Or, is it primarily only for the stock CFS3?

Thank you gecko!

Even MAW?????????????????????????

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by josepicos View Post
    Even MAW?????
    yeah, verily, indubtiably and irrefutably. (Sorry I've been into the scrumpy :isadizzy

Even though North Africa has some FLAT places, there are also Mountains in the mediterranean Theatre

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Less flat and crash land able areas

Not less, what is there is just better rendered.

Better rendered means ups and downs.............so its gonna be a hell of a tricky landing!

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Many Thanks for the files, They work GREAT!
    In ETO,PTO, CFS3, MAW, and Rising Sun too..

off to land a few birds in the pretty scenery..

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseHobbit View Post
    Many Thanks for the files, They work GREAT!
    In ETO,PTO, CFS3, MAW, and Rising Sun too..

off to land a few birds in the pretty scenery..
    hey Owen,

thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear they are working well - I'm never too sure how they will go on other peoples' rigs.

Erm, about the landing.... are you planning to land sunny side up or sunny side down?

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Hi David,
    I always land with the sunny side up..

Is there an easy way to install this new file? (pardon my ignorance pls.)

Put it into your assists folder in the main cfs3/eto/maw/kto/pto folder

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by icutler View Post
    Is there an easy way to install this new file? (pardon my ignorance pls.)
    Hi icutler,

yes place the meshbuilderbudgets.xml in the Assets folder. Same location too for the texturebudgets files. Remove and BackUp any identically named files from the Assets folder (or from any sub-folders of the Assets folder!). Back up files before you overwrite them. While on this subject, don't have any duplicate files in subfolders in the Assets folder. It is surprisingly easy to do. But keep the Assets folder spring-cleaned or everything will look like rubbish.

Its the same story as for .dds files. CFS3 picks up any .dds files in any part of the root install, so duplicates will pop up unexpectedly. A classic is the aircraft\shared folder, where after a few years you should go through ALL sub folders in the Shared folder and do a massive clean-up otherwise you will have old duplicate texture sheets for gauges, gunsights, reticles etc stuffing up the look of your shiny new cockpits.

If I also included a configoverrides file, this is to replace the one in your install folder under the Application Data pathway (after backing up of course).

You can of course simply install the meshbuilderbudgets.xml and not the others.

Oh, don't forget to eliminate the zx files in BOTH Terrains folders. I'm not sure if this is necessary but its just to be on the safe side, to ensure that the effect of the new file is discernible. There is a "zxzapper" out there in most of the net theatre installs. Otherwise its easy enough to simply sort the files in the Terrains folders by file type then select the zx files ONLY and delete.

Darn, I'm starting to think I should have written a far more comprehensive Readme... sorry about that.

D

Hi David

I've added your new files to my ETO installation and it looks excellent!

I've used your previous version of the Meshbuilderbudgets since it was released, but I'm uncertain what that file actually does.... :isadizzy:

I used the OFF budgets earlier and replaced them with your files and the settings you've suggested and the ETO landscape looks better IMHO.

Thanks for the update! :salute:

Cheers
    vonOben

“Wer den Tod fürchtet, hat das Leben verloren.” /Johann Gottfried Seume

vonOben's Flight Sim Mods
    7 Season Scenery for CFS3 ETO Expansion

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by vonOben View Post
    Hi David

I've added your new files to my ETO installation and it looks excellent!

I've used your previous version of the Meshbuilderbudgets since it was released, but I'm uncertain what that file actually does.... :isadizzy:

I used the OFF budgets earlier and replaced them with your files and the settings you've suggested and the ETO landscape looks better IMHO.

Thanks for the update! :salute:

Cheers
    Hi von Oben,
    thanks for the feedback! I wish I could enlighten you about how the meshbuilderbudgets file works, but really I am just an xml file tweaker. At some stage I did read the relevant bits of the terrain SDK readme, and that no doubt helped. However the main thing is to think of all the zillions of triangles that go to make the terrain mesh - hills and gullies. If you look in the configoverrides.xml file, you will see numerous entries relating to triangles.

Hence I guess the meshbuilderbudgets and the configoverrides files work in tandem, instructing the computer to allocate sufficient resources to render as many of the triangles as possible, to make the terrain look smoother and to render at a greater distance. Of course the limiting factor is the quality of the underlying mesh.

That is why I am curious to hear from Rising Sun Theatre to know if the mesh in a more recent theatre is noticeably improved too.

With a smoother terrain, the stock theatre's other quirks are more obvious - like streams half way up hillsides. My hat goes off to all the people who worked on the original ETO, locating waterways and putting in all those confounded bridges....

hilsener,
    D

it works well , what i will say once to play with this whole asset folder and add on and etc...one can create pending there system graphics, and there luck ,, mine imho looks excellent on eto-maw- cfs3/4 - i call it

many tks ,,,,i have added alot in mine and effects looks almost better than fsx,,,,,,,

or the moded ones for ps3

tks

open your asset folder find the one named ....same back it up somewhere and replace with this new one ........

yeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

SOH-CM-2020
    Rock On rocketred!!

I have a problem with MAW ,it may not have anything to do with the meshbuilder ;some of the buildings apartment buildings show up in a white square twith the details sitting on top. Might have to do with a bab sink.
    Any idea on how to correct this ?

I don't have that problem.........

David, please pardon dumbness: got the 2011 version in ok, nice in CF3/Firepower, see above will work in all.

Can't find latest V2 in Archive: presume not released yet?

thanks v. much

Its out

Though it can't be seen, I almost didn't find it but its here http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...3&linkid=13469