- The SSW Harrier IIB Plus looks like the most realistic model so far available for FSX, its characteristics make it in in many aspects unique, there are currently no other Harrier for FSX with its features.
- This is an interim release, there are some minor details of the internal model that need attention, instead systems are complete, the model can be used without limitations; the high expectations of the model and the numerous user requests have persuaded us to publish it even if not 100% complete. A complete version release will follow in a few days.
- This is the first release of a completely new model, we can not claim to be error free, that's why we rely on feedback from our users, we can safely declare that we pay attention to each bug that will be reported on the support forum.
- This is the first impression of a real Harrier pilot that yesterday tested the SSW Harrier pre-release:
"Congratulation! This AB-8B+ is realistic, the graphic and the details are showed with excellent care. Impressed ! Clemente Ingenito, Italian Navy Harrier pilot, former Blacksheep 17 (1990-1993)"
To get the model visit the SIM SKUNK WORKS site at "Software workshop" top menů, need registration, which is free.
VISUAL MODEL CHARACTERISTICS
- Highly detailed external model, fully animated
- Highly detailed 3D internal model, fully animated
- Equipped with 3D lights system, both internal and external.
- High quality external/internal textures, bump, specular mapping and backing. Italian, Spanish an USA liveries provided
- Light weight, frame rate friend model
- Cames in two configurations: "SOLO" and "UBUNTU" optimized for multiplayer sessions.
- SSW Harrier is a not conventional model, it can be considered both a wing-borne and a jet-borne aircraft model since it can take-off and land using wing-lift or using engine nozzle vectored thrust.
- To implement such not conventional characteristics was a challenge but we believe to have obtained a behaviour very close to real as witnessed by real pilots and real former Harrier pilots.
- Transition flight from jet-borne to wing borne and viceversa is surprisingly smooth, all typical vertical or short types of takeoff and landings can be performed with a very high degree of realism
- Flight characteristics have been accurately reproduced, almost all flight conditions: conventional takeoff, climb, cruise, combat, descent and landing are very close to flight tests and performances tables.
- The model has, like in the real plane, the SAAHS (Stability Augmentations And Holding System) that greatly enhances manouverability and departure resistance.
- Flaps are handled by a computer controlled schedule, no flap lever is provided, like in the real airplane user can choose from 3 flap operation modes: CRUISE, AUTO an STO.
- The RR 408 engine combat trust and JPT control have been reproduced.
- All aspects of Harrier vectored thrust flight has been reproduced with an high grade of realism:
* Water injection control, wet/dry RR 408 engine
* Ground effect
* Wind effect
* LIDS (Lift Improuvment Device System)
* Sideslip acceleration with RPS (Rudder pedal shaker) a system to warn the pilot of a sideslip condition
* Computed and displayed hover weight based on air temp, altitude and gross weight, therefore computed fuel quantity permissible on board
* Computed and displayed STO parameters, nozzle STO stop angle, STO nozzle rotation speed, ground roll, etc.
* To enhance the real feeling some random perturbations are injected on the three axes during the hover.
All of above systems assure an high degrre of realism and a great smoothness in the transiction from jet-borne to wing-borne flight and vice versa.
In developing avionics we have choosen an incremental approach, systems have been reproduced to the maximum extent possible, what is provided works as the real thing, next versions will see more and more systems.
* DDI (Digital Display Indicators)
Both rigt and left MFD has been implemented with following modes:
* EHSI DISPLAY
Slaved to TACAN and INS, shows TCN/INS informations, both in steering and tacan offset modes.
INS can store up to 25 different waypoints with WOF (waypoint overflight) capability.
* VRST DISPLAY
To aid the pilot in determining the operational capability of the aircraft it shows vertical takeoff, vertical landing, and range endurance calculations. These calculations are presented on the V/STOL REST display
* ENG DISPLAY
Displays engine status information
* HUD DISPLAY
Replicate HUD on DDI
* STRS DISPLAY
Displays Storage Management System permitting to select weapon drop/launch sequence
* RDR DISPLAY
Displays radar in GMT and AA (air to Air modes), Radar is capable of RBGN (real beam ground mapping), GMT (Ground Moving Target) and A/A (Air-to-air) modes. In A/A modes is capable of STT (Single Target Track), LOCK-ON, ATTACK modes.
* HEAD UP DISPLAY
HUD is a conformal, collimated head-up display with 3 operational modes: NAV, STO and AG.
In NAV mode shows navigation informations
in STO mode informations for a short/vertical take off
in AG use INS to show CCIP (continuosly computed impact point), bomb falling line and GUN shooting slant range.
Slaved to Air-toAir radar it shows visual clues of aerial target in LOCK-ON/ATTACK mode.
All above systems work as in the real plane.
Model has a realistic air refuelling system, thanks to a third part gauge (Jivko Rusev) adapted to SSW Harrier, it works both on single and multiplayer.
- All aircraft stations can be loaded with tanks/weapon using a windowed pop-up configurator, laoding/dropping weapon affects aircraft weight and therefore dynamics.
- Provided weapons are MK82, MK83, BDU48B, AIM9L and 25 mm GAU-12/U five-barrel Gatling gun with 300 rounds.
- Weapon launch/drop is visible and effective both in single and multiplayer, bombs impacting on ground leave a permanent crater.
- In multiplayer weapon drop/launch is server-safe (no clogging).
- More weapons will be added on next versions.
Model cames in two versions: SOLO" and "UBUNTU":
- The UBUNTU models are perfectly suitable for MULTIPLAYER, FPS drop is close 0 with no FSX server flooding, test have been made with up to 15 players with a negligible frame drop.
- The SOLO models are still suitable for MULTIPLAYER with some limitations as far multiplayer consinstency is concerned, however we do not suggest to use them with more than 4-6 players since the FPS drop may be too high for a low-end machine.
- Model cames with all necessary checklist and docs specifically derived from the original:
SSW-av8bb-nfm-501.pdf 29 pages, NORMAL PROCEDURES
SSW-av8bb-nfm-503.pdf 16 pages, OPERATING LIMITATIONS
SSW-av8bb-nfm-504.pdf 21 pages, PERFORMANCES DATA
SSW-av8bb-nfm-505.pdf 29 PAGES, DIGITAL DISPLAY/HUD/ODU/UFC QUICK REFERENCE
SSW-av8bb-nfm-506.pdf 16 pages, JET-BORNE FLIGHT CHARACTERISTICS
SSW-av8bb-nfm-601.pdf 16 pages, WEAPON SYSTEM POCKET CHECKLIST
harrierhints.pdf 14 pages, useful hints for an effective use of the model
ssw_av8b_cockpit_layout.jpg, cockpit layout
Making the minimum donation to have the model version 1.0.0 guarantees:
free upgrade to all 1.x.y versions
free download of:
A1-AV8BB-NFM-000, 750 pages real Aircraf Flight manual
A1-AV8BB-NFM-400, 264 pages real performances tables
A1-AV8BB-NFM-500, 230 pages real pocket check list
A1-AV8BB-NFM-700, 32 pages real functional test pocket checklist
A1-AV8BB-TACMAN, 800 pages real tactical manual on radar/weapon system
LIBG Grottaglie (Italy) Navy Station scenery, higly detailed with photoreal background
LERT Rota (Spain) Navy Station higly detailed with photoreal background
CVS 550 "Cavour" italian aircraft carrier model
CVS 551 "Garibaldi" italian aircraft carrier model (under development)
Free account to SSW support forum
SSW Harrier paintkit