Specular Material

Thread: Specular Material

Specular Material

it has been a couple of years since I did this and I cannot figure it out, Trying to get my model shinny but it is is not working any help would be grateful

Thanks taz

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by sdsbolt View Post
    are you applying maps?
    applying the red_s map in the specular part and get nothing mathias showed me how years ago but when my computer got stolden lost everything and now I am back to ground zero and it looks like i am going to be stuck here for awhile which is not good for me cause I will just except the fact I have no clue and leave it alone again, I have been googling all morning with no luck and it iss getting to me due to my issues I do not want to get stressed over this so I will end up kicking it to thhe curb like the last time but this time I will know to leave it alone all together count my loses and call it a day. my meds help but they can only do so much got it to work in Max but lose it in Gmax no I am not happy any direction or help would make my day

Thanks
    Taz

Well I am not sure if your going forward with this or not. I suspect 3d modeling as not the best thing for our mental and physical health. I am serious about that.

if you are still planning on finishing then it sounds like you are applying the red_t(diffuse color) map ok but not the red_s map(specular level)?

Correct

in 3dsmax 09,10,13 I get the look I want when I go to gmax I lose the shine and reflection any help onn how to do this would be great if not I am going to drop modeling all together until I find the answer on how to get your model to be shinning like plastic means these are caartoons I want the cartoon look like get in some of the pics of it being reflective and shinny in gmax I just get a dull no shine paintjob if you look in the peanuts project of red being in thee game you will see what I am talking and the picture above it about 2 posts is what I am looking for if that helps.

Thanks Taz

*_.dds files don't work in Windows 7?

Also replied to the Peanuts thread, isn't there a problem in that Windows 7 doesn't support specular reflection the way that CFS3 does it? Something about the *_.dds files not being supported. We've had threads here, I can't find them now.

Best,

Tom
    Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX580 OC'd / 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor
    FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
    Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/ CFS3 OFF HiTR

Quote Originally Posted by Human Drone View Post
    ...Windows 7 doesn't support specular reflection the way that CFS3 does it?
    Quite right, it seems the CFS3 engine uses DirectX 8 shaders for specular textures and W7 only supports as far back as DirectX 9. Lots of people still use Vista and XP so I'd still put specular maps in a model.

Taz, if you open the Ju-88A supplied with the CFS3 sdk and check the material applied to the model's fuselage object you'll see this:-

Attachment 67149

This is how specular textures are added and reflective textures are put in the Reflection slot further down the Maps list in the Material Editor. Hope this helps!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

F! M$

So what you are telling me Win 7 will not display specular maps will then I guess I will wipe this computer and go to Vista or XP which one do I use XP or vista which is best for this modeling stuff

Thanks Taz

To be clear, they won't be displayed in CFS3. But if you make a model and apply the maps properly, they would show up in game on windows XP.

You also need an nvidia graphics card, as with ATI they won't display even in XP.

Do like I do and dual boot, you get the advantages of W7 and XP without losing anything.
    If try to fail, and succeed; which have you really done?

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction."-Blaise Pascal

bummer

I have to go with Vista XP will not load on this Asus Laptop looks like it was made for windows 7 only Vista might work but XP pro is a no go cross our your fingers if all else fails I have a back P4 3.00 ghz that I can put back together but I think I have a ATI Card so I am screwed again hehehehehehehehehehehehehe

Mom Said there iswould be days like this all this for a silly dog

Be Back in about an hour to let you know if vista was able to install on this machine.

ouch!

Taz

ok up again

Got Vista and windows 7 installed on my laptop so lets see what happens from here ....... I have a P4 3.00 ghz system on stand by if needed will most likely be putting it together later this week and see if it will take XP so I can use all the tools for designing hehehehehehehehe will let you know what happens from here.

Taz

The only tool I used which won't work in Win7 was Max 7 (and I have 2008 now...). All the rest work just fine: gmax, Paintshop Pro, Lithunwrap, .MOS Editor, AirWrench, Photoshop, ImageTool, DXTBmp. I keep XP on a second drive to test models with specular textures!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Mos editor

how did you get the mos editor to work I keep getting a directX 9 error on vista and in 7

specular maps still don't work so I am thinking about giving up it turns my plane grey and hides the paint scheme strange but i guess it is telling me it is time to stop doing this all together cause I set it up like he showed in the pic above and when I get in the game my plain is a light grey no paint scheme. and i cannot find any tutors on it so I really am lost on this did it in the past but for some reason not working now strange

Taz

yes I am having a issue day and the meds are not helping.

Australia Mate! living the good life in Gods Country
    Hi Taz,

this will fix your MOS editor. supplied by Mathius and Polovski a few years back. It works just fine I was having the same issue as you.

your plane being light grey in game, sounds like you have a MOS file but its calling on a different texture name to the actual name of the _T.dds texture your model uses.

regards Rob.

readme file content:
    After installing Direct9 and .NET1.1 you still get a "file not found" error when running the MOS editor
    then run this fix (thanks to Mathias).
    --
    Polovski
    No other success can compensate for failure in the home..

There's a recent post in the Knowledge Base sticky on this very subject. I expect Rob's attached file contains mdxredist.msi as mentioned in the sticky thread.
    Tom