DC-4
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: DC-4

DC-4

Took a little flight from Los Angeles to Las Vegas in the JBK DC-4. I'd forgotten how much fun it is to fly this one. Although it did get a little tight getting over those hills just east of LA with a full load without causing Real Engine to do something that I probably wouldn't like. I'm thinking I might want to keep this up for a while.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Decided that the Las Vegas to Salt Lake City flight sounded like a good one for United Airlines. I kept it to about 9000ish feet and did some weaving in and out of mountain passes taking the long way around some mountain ridges. I did learn on this one to only take off with what fuel it will use with a good reserve. Fully loaded in the mountains, it just hates to climb.

This is fun...

Big fan of the DC-4 - it set the configuration of so many subsequent four-engine airliners - and enjoy flying Jens's version. After watching Ice Pilots, I found some great repaints including nice VC textures for the DC-4 at the Virtual Buffalo site people might wish to check out.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Willy: What panel are you using?

Kelly, basically, it's the panel that came with the JBK DC-4. I did open it up with FS Panel Studio and swap a few gauges around and add a couple more that I like. Moses03 adapted Gunter Teson's Real Engine to it which has made it much more realistic in that if you rawhide it, it'll break. Also, I took Trevor Morisson's P&W DC-3 sounds, reworked the sound.cfg for 4 engines which makes it sound better (IMHO anyway).

Expat, the DC-4 is one of my favorites too. I go on periodic searchs over at FlightSim and AvSim for new paints that I don't have.

Didn't get to fly tonight. My ISP went down this morning and I just now got internet back.

Aha. I knew it looked different; now I know it's unique.

One day, I think I'll try my hand at re-configuring a panel or two.
    How much trouble can I get into?

Left Salt Lake City and flew on over the mountains to Denver Stapleton airport. Nice flight although I was crowding 12,000ft to stay above the ridges and had to go a bit above that a few times to clear a couple of them. Then it was flying down the mountainsides to get low enough to land at Denver. All in all a fun flight. Even when the carb ice monster bit me....

One more question, Willy: What is the brightly colored gauge next to the turn and bank?

That's a Wind Drift gauge. You set it to the course you want to fly, then it'll show you if the wind is pushing you off course and how much. It also gives wind direction and velocity along with your heading. If the wind is blowing you off course, all you had to do is match the pointers back up by adjusting the heading with the autopilot. Very handy for when you don't have a radio beacon to follow. There's two of them in the file and that's the plainer one of the two.

I don't use VOR much. Usually a combination of a ADF and the Wind Drift along with DME.

ETA: Just wanted to add that at really long range, it's not that accurate. One of the guys took off from Africa with it going to fly to Rio de Janero. It didn't get him close enough to pick up the NDB he needed in Brazil and he almost ended up in Antarctica. But for flights less than 1000nm, it works pretty good.

Never too old to learn! Had never seen such a gauge before. Thanks for the info.

Where might I find it? Can't seem to locate it in any of the gauge files I have for Jens DC-4's

Looks like one of Glenn Copeland's wonderful gauges. Do a search with his name at Flightsim.com under panels and you'll get about 40 gauges for FS9.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/conten...ight&fid=94085

Cheers
    Stefan

Yep, one of Glen's!

Yep, one of Glen's!

In our currently ongoing Cape to Cape event, someone redid the bitmaps in grayscale and it looks a lot better on a period panel. I need to find that file.

Thanks, gents. Found it ... and a whole lot more!

A prolific guy.

Just a few photos of Western's DC-4 leaving Albuquerque, NM in order to catch up with Willy in Denver, Co. Needed to fly around the Sandia's couldn't gain enough altitude to climb over the bugger just after take off. Picture showing us flying over Las Vegas, hehe, thats Las Vegas, New Mexico. Co-pilot got a little confused he thought I made a wrong turn in Albuquerque! Yep, me and that crazy rabbit!

Taco.:USA-flag:

Got in a bit shorter flight than I intended tonight online with Taco. We were going to Fort Worth, but I've got a t-storm heading my way and chickened out over Colorado. Landed at Lamar (KLAA). Hopefully, we catch back up tomorrow night and continue on to KACF.

:salute: A couple of photos of last nights flight. Getting ready for departure at Stapleton, Co. (Scenery, Calclassic), parked after landing at KLAA, now what to do with the passengers?

We had a great flight from Lamar Colorado (KLAA) to Ft Worth Texas (KACF) in a late afternoon setting. Ran into a little weather on the way, but nothing we couldn't handle.

For those that are interested, we're flying on the Sim Outhouse Flight Center server. It's free and it's fun. And it's not getting much use.

Yep, it was a very nice flight even with the weather getting a little rough. I will say one thing, we sure seen a lot of open country and it sure was flat. I think we will be heading south maybe down to Houston, and maybe on to the Big Easy. You bet folks, join us, can be fun.

We were joined tonight by Moses in a B-17 which started giving us ideas. That can be a dangerous thing. Anyway, I've went to the Hobby Airport Swap n Shop and put down a deposit for a slightly used Consolidated product.

A very fine flight! Sure thought we were going to have some nasty weather for the complete flight due to all the rain and thunder that was going on at Dallas, but it cleared up for most of the flight with the exception of having fog and unstable winds. For our part the weather cleared on approach, and we could see where in the heck the runway was. Like Willy will be checking around at the swap shops for a new ride.

OK, so the thread title is now misleading

Found this Boeing C-75 at the Swap n Shop which made for a nice flight to New Orleans. (except for the telephone pole on the runway that I had to hop over on landing)

Some pics of the flight from Houston to New Orleans. The last shot is the flight crew eyeing some possible post flight BBQ.

Howdy Folks,

Here are a few photos of last night flight. BBQ + sounds pretty darn good! I believe Old Dudley is shopping around for another ride, hehe the guns on the B-24, it seem they don't have any boolets. Rumors has it that we maybe flying around some unfriendly folks here in the near future, and if thats true Dudley would like to be a little unfriendly also, so we need some ammo. hehe.

Neat seeing the vintage iron.
    One of my favorite propliners is the Canadair Argonaut--Kind of a DC-4 with Merlins--and pressurized to boot! Here's a shot of me over the Big Island (from Dillingham). I actually read the checklist and adjusted my speed and power so the Argonaut didn't have that nose-down attitude that used to plague my early forays into propliners. All in all very enjoyable.Attachment 67200

Members who have read this thread: 114