r/c helicopters

Thread: r/c helicopters

r/c helicopters

anyone here fool around with these? i have a couple (a litehawk II and and XL)
    but want to get something for the park. the II is an indoor, and the XL is indoor/outdoor which really means it's too small for outdoor, and too big for indoor unless you live in a gym. i just thought mebbe some o' you folks might fool with them also.

Mrs Willy has one. I crash it as easy as I do the ones in FS.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

I have messed with them as well. I took mine outside but any wind made it difficult to fly. Inside house I crashed and burned on everything (walls and furniture) . This was a couple years ago when they first came out. I have looked at the newer ones and have wondered if they handle better outside in the wind.

Jim

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    I have 2... My big one is an Align Trex 450 that has flown twice. The first time the crash was not so bad as it was more of a landing than a crash... The second flight was a really big crash, and it has not flown since. I still need to buy a new tail gear box/tail rotor servo. Then she will be good as new.

The indoor training one that I have is the Blade CX2. I am actually pretty decent at flying that. Which is why I got the Align 450... while it turns out you can be good flying small heli's indoors that does not mean you can fly large heli's outside. Which was my mistake with the Trex 450.

The Trex would do excellent outside in the wind.. In the flying club we have very good pilots, and then can handle nearly anything the weather throws at them. They also are able to fly upside down, and do all the stunts. My brain is not wired for that yet, so even trying to do a basic hover is challenging. It all depends on your skill level. Providing you have a heli with good enough power though you can fly in most average weather conditions.
    Steve
    FSX Hours: 3000+

If the helicopters are controlled by infrared any sunlight will make them hard to control outside. If you want to fly one outside make sure it's radio controlled and you will be fine. I have this one and it's a blast to fly.

http://www.amazon.com/Newest-Volitat...7554299&sr=8-1
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Asus P8Z68 M
    Intel i7-2700
    16 GB of Ram
    GeForce GTX 550 Ti

i want something i can fly in the park behind my house. i may get an airplane for that, i'm not sure yet. i just know that the ones i have won't cut it outside.

How about a turbine powered model? This won't be affected by the wind:

http://www.vario-helicopter.net/prod...rs/bk-117.html

George

with a rotor diameter of just under 7 ft, i would guess it would probably be able to carry my dogs into the sky

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ananda View Post
    How about a turbine powered model? This won't be affected by the wind:
    http://www.vario-helicopter.net/prod...rs/bk-117.html
    George
    Isn't there a weight limit on UAV's in most countries these days? I heard 25 pounds in the US.

My outdoor RC helicopter crash record has now gone beyond what's reasonable, and my next one is going to be a quadrocopter with a gyro-stabilsed camera.
    And a self-homing stable hover chip for when you lose it.
    Mind you, I see I'm already out of date, there is an Oktokopter available.
    Must be twice as good...

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    A UAV and a Remote Control Helicopter/Aircraft are to totally different arena's. I know a lot of people in the US like to think they are the same thing, and want them all banned. R/C aircraft are smaller, and are used for line of sight flying. A UAV can be controlled from a satellite, or extremely powerful radio station over long distances nearly anywhere in the World.. I would not venture sending my Trex 450 to go battle the Taliban, or to go across the river to bother people. I have a fairly good Futaba radio and at best I may get 2-3000ft (about half a mile or so) of range out of it before the signal is to weak to control the aircraft.

To the best of my knowledge there are no restrictions as far as weight goes for RC aircraft unless you are talking about taking a 1:1 scale bird, and make it remote control. The only restrictions on my little heli are I obviously cannot use it to bother others, and it must be flown in a responsible manner... Other than that it is open season.

You can get gyro's and such for even the single rotor ones, so you do not need to go to a quadrocopter unless you want to. I have a gyro on my Trex 450 that will hold/track a particular heading. I could add more, but the gyro's are pretty expensive. Not to mention I do not have much room to mount them on my heli. It was hard enough for me to find a place to mount the radio reciever box on it, and run all the servo wires through the frame without putting them in any gear mesh.
    Steve
    FSX Hours: 3000+

I used to fly R/C heli's but gave them up because my eyes can't keep up with them right now. Fixed wing I have no problem with. Your little one shown is designed to fly in some wind, as the tail rotor is positioned for vertical control of the tail (pitch) to help the rotors tilt more aggressivly for forward flight. Bank is still restricted, but yaw is used to turn, in this case.

In the US there is a 55lb limit for open flying, heavier requires a special "airshow" permit, and can only be flown legally, (meaning covered by insurance,) in show type environments. Same goes for turbine powered aircraft.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by modelr View Post
    In the US there is a 55lb limit for open flying, heavier requires a special "airshow" permit, and can only be flown legally, (meaning covered by insurance,) in show type environments. Same goes for turbine powered aircraft.
    wow! i had no idea! but then, how do you practice? i would think practice is important.