P-39 Accident Photo(WW2)

Thread: P-39 Accident Photo(WW2)

P-39 Accident Photo(WW2)

This is a photo that was given to me from a museum exhibit about 15 years ago of a P-39 that had crash landed near Bluethenthal Field(ILM) in Wilmington, NC. I do not have any data on the accident or exactly when it happened but I figure it was between 1942-43 as air ops at Bluethenthal were largely disbanded in Nov of 43(22nd TASTS)

Attachment 65532

The star (with the meatball in it) as well as the cross, which was painted for war game exersises, places the photo/incident in mid-late 1941. The aircraft featured is a P-39C of the 40th Pursuit Squadron, 31st Pursuit Group. (The white crosses were applied using temporary, easily removable paint.)

Thank you for sharing the photo!

Yuck, crash landing one of these with all then engine behind you. Not good for that 'ole lower lumbar....

Upper lumbar, pelvis, cranium, or anything else in between for that matter.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

TeaSea

Forget that engine in back, what about that drive shaft between your legs. That's what could ruin your family life for sure ! :mix-smi:
    T Square

The Load Toad

WEAPONS
    LOADER CREED
    We, the unwilling
    Led by the unknowing,
    Are doing the impossible,
    For the ungrateful.