AIRBOSS is being phased out...

Thread: AIRBOSS is being phased out...

AIRBOSS is being phased out...

...for the simple reason that Windows 7 won't run it. Since all the new computers are operating on Windows 7, it's just a matter of time until nobody, myself included, will have a rig that can run AIRBOSS.

I've just bought and assimilated a new laptop that operates on Windows 7. I still have my old desktop on Vista, all connected up to cable, still chock full of all kinds of stuff, so I set up a wireless home network to give the laptop internet access. The laptop can also access the desktop's folders and files, but the desktop can't access the laptop. Seems that only the Windows 7-endowed machines are allowed that priviledge.

The laptop is by far the better game machine, plus I can use it while kicked back in my easy chair. So the desktop has been relegated to internet use, file depository, and nominal boss of the network, I suppose, since the wireless router is connected to it.

I'm a little annoyed that I did all that work on AIRBOSS only to have it subsumed by digital progress. But time marches on. I'll just have to think of something else to fool with. Preferably something less headachy than programming.

Very disappointed to hear, I know how much hard work you put into this.

At least I'll be able to enjoy for a little while longer, as I'm still running XP...:salute:

ETTICO

I still run XP but was just wondering, does Win7 have a "compatability mode"? It would be just like MS to forgo it to render all other sysytems null and void and useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Fibber View Post
    I still run XP but was just wondering, does Win7 have a "compatability mode"? It would be just like MS to forgo it to render all other sysytems null and void and useless.
    I doubt it, but I haven't fully familiarized myself with Windows 7. Also, the current generation of computers are 64 bit and AIRBOSS is 16 bit.

I still have my old desktop, so I can still use AIRBOSS. I can even fly missions on my hotrod laptop after generating them on the desktop and then grabbing them with the laptop. And the DCG campaign generator is still compatible with Windows 7 and 64 bit systems.

The main reason I created AIRBOSS in the first place was because DCG was never finished. It has a few shortcomings and bugs that AIRBOSS fixes, primarily a serious air-to-air collision problem. DCG without AIRBOSS editing is capable of practically wiping out a whole airforce with collisions alone, without a shot being fired.

It's too bad, because DCG, with the bugs fixed, has the potential to churn out dynamic campaigns like the machine that it is. It's only competitor, in terms of productivity, would be Rami, the John Henry of campaign building. If I set my mind to it I can create a decent DCG campaign in a couple of hours. But it needs AIRBOSS editing. But what it really needs is for DCG itself to be doing what AIRBOSS does.