Jet City Aircraft

Thread: Jet City Aircraft

Jet City Aircraft

Does anyone know the status of these aircraft? Are they 'abandonware' ? The MD-80/90 used to be available (payware) separately, then as part of the LAGO maddog but they appear to have completely vanished about 5 years ago. I've done a couple nice paints for my VA but hesitate to release them with the model as I can't find any news about them going freeware. I'd also love to lay my hands on the DC-9 pack.

Can anyone help ?
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Quick bit of Googling seems to show they have gone; every link I can find comes up as a 404. And, although they were released using the Flight1 wrapper, they aren't even available there anymore (well, I couldn't find them).
    Andy

Concur, can't find the DC-9 pack anywhere, and the MD-80/90 pack is no longer for sale.
    ... I just don't know if it's "OK" to release a re-paint that includes the MD80 model that can no longer be purchased. All of the links have been dead for years, I don't even know who owns the rights to them now.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

MaddogK,

I have the Lago Maddog, it was released on disc under the 'Altitude' banner. I found the Lago fighters pack on Amazon under this banner, maybe you can find the Maddog on Amazon US?

Jamie

I managed to find it on Amazon UK, maybe there is hope on Amazon/Ebay US then.

For the Jet City Aircraft fans amongst us, here is a link;
    http://web.archive.org/web/201102071...yaircraft.com/
    Sean Kneppers
    Repainter by choice

Quote Originally Posted by MaddogK View Post
    Concur, can't find the DC-9 pack anywhere, and the MD-80/90 pack is no longer for sale.
    ... I just don't know if it's "OK" to release a re-paint that includes the MD80 model that can no longer be purchased. All of the links have been dead for years, I don't even know who owns the rights to them now.
    I'm not a lawyer, so take my advice for what it's worth (not much). We've been down this path before and I think the majority opinion has been that just because a developer shuts down their product does not automatically enter the public domain. I think distributing former payware without permission could still be considered stealing even if the copyright owner can not be found.

edit: According to Bjoern's post below, the models are now freeware so I guess you'd be OK distribute them. Just shows how much you should you should listen to me (not much).

I couldn't see anywhere for downloading the models, so I guess the link is mainly for support questions or general FAQ
    Sean Kneppers
    Repainter by choice

jca_717.zip (Flightsim)

Thought the models went freeware ages ago, but this is the only one I could find.

Oh well, once I find the time, Erick's DC-9 will finally get the VC it deserves.

the archive.org pages are just that... a snapshot from the past.

Note that the DC-9 and MD-80 pages have non-functional links to payware purchase. On the other hand, the 717 page clearly states that it was released from the beginning as freeware - as a thank-you to customers and as a way to try their products before buying the payware versions.
    http://web.archive.org/web/201003101...o/717-200.html

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

The concept of "abondonware" has been discussed among staff members before, and after much discussion, the policy is that if you can prove that it's been released as freeware without restrictions on redistribution, then it's fine to upload the parts in question. Otherwise, it's still considered piracy. So if you aren't able to show evidence of a previous freeware release or proof of permission to release it as such for the first time, then don't. Or at least don't discuss it here - even in private messages.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I wonder if the Historic Jetliners DC-9s are the old JCA planes? The JCA product disappeared about the same time as HJG put their DCs up...

Nope, the HJG jets are those of Eirc Cantu and the gang. Although, it is rather a strange coinkidink isn't it?