Having FS on another hard drive; How?

Thread: Having FS on another hard drive; How?

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!

Having FS on another hard drive; How?

Hey guys,

Could anyone direct me to a tutorial on how I would install FS into a seperate hard drive?

I have Windows XP and the drive will be external.

What would be awesome is if I could run it from the older HD that everything is still in, but I have no idea how to get it all to run in the main drive. I believe I have to have all the Registries, etc. Can they be simply transferred to the new drive? (The older drive 'exterior' is vista, so it may have different registry types...)

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

harleyman
    Bill...That is easy...

On the drive you want FS on open that drive and place a folder there called FS9 or FSX your sim / game

Then install the Sim.but be care ful,on the install screen there is an option *MORE* (I think Its called that)

Select that and there you browse your install to the Harddrive and folder you placed there

Done...That easy...For the rest of the installs amd addons most will find it on that drive,Some will not so you just need to be carefull as to its browser selected..........Rebrowse it if it seems to be lost

Merry Christmas

harleyman
    Oh...Just saw about the Vista ...You will need to reinstall all your FS9 stuff as you could backup the regestry and put it on your new rig..But I do not think XP regestry and Vista will work together....

SOH-CM-2014
    Thanks Mason.

I'll try that with the install. From there, I can simply copy/paste/migrate all the files to the HD from the old HD via the new 'main' HD... (musical hard drives, lol... )

Oh what extents we go to for the love of flying....... Even 'virtual' flying....

Bill

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

harleyman
    Hey Bill...You might want to move all your files first and get the External all clean except for your FS9 stuff...Then go ahead and reformat the drive to really have it clean for your new FS9 install...Just removing deleting files still leaves traces and clutter behind....It won't hurt,but a format is better...

Is the drive that fs9 is installed on an IDE or Sata? If its a IDE drive just change the jumper on it to Slave and plug it in, if its an older Sata drive it may have jumpers (newer sata drives do NOT have jumpers) if not you can just plug and go. Then once XP installs the drivers for it, just browse to your fs9 install and then create a new desktop shortcut. To get the registry entry back just get the FS9 registry tool (at most of the big sites). My install of fs9 is about 3 years old and has been moved a number of times to newer and older drives in between and still works great.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbird17 View Post
    Is the drive that fs9 is installed on an IDE or Sata? If its a IDE drive just change the jumper on it to Slave and plug it in, if its an older Sata drive it may have jumpers (newer sata drives do NOT have jumpers) if not you can just plug and go. Then once XP installs the drivers for it, just browse to your fs9 install and then create a new desktop shortcut. To get the registry entry back just get the FS9 registry tool (at most of the big sites). My install of fs9 is about 3 years old and has been moved a number of times to newer and older drives in between and still works great.

Joe

But will that work comming from a Vista machine onto a XP machine? I thought not.........

Its a terabyte drive so its probably sata ..I assume....I have been known to be wrong though...LOL:isadizzy:

SOH-CM-2014
    It is a SATA T-Drive. I just hooked it up and I guess its not formatted, arrghh.. Afraid to put the disc in the new computer. Might reformat every single disc around, lol... I'll have to try something else.

In the mean time, I am installing it to a 320 Gig HD with SATA. I can experiment.

Thanks for the info on the FS9 registry tool. :d I didnt know about that. Hopefully I can just plug and fly!

Bill

Just look for F drive in your My Computer/Explore if you're putting it on a SATA drive that you've added. Should be the same for an external drive too. Tho it might be a different letter depending on the amount of drives you have installed, whether they be internal of external.

I added a Program Files folder to my second drive to add my games to. The rest of the drive is storage... and it works ok so far.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Unlike fsX, fs9 will work if you move it from one OS to another. My install started its life on a XP drive, then I moved it to my Vista install, now its back on my XP drive, yet I can still use it in Vista or XP. My fs9 is so heavly modded that I didn't want to lose it so I just move it around. I also use the registry tool to put the fs9 registry into my vista install because I hardly ever boot into XP and if I want to install a payware addon that needs to see the registry entry it finds it with no problems.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

SOH-CM-2014
    Thanks guys,

:ernae:

Bill

harleyman
    Ya just learn something new every day here........

Bill

If the drive that FS is on in your old rig is still good just take it out and buy an external drive enclosure and install the drive in that. I did that on a drive that had my COD folders on it and it's still kickin. The one I have is a RocketFish brand enclosure, comes with all you need to get it working.

Chris

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NCGent View Post
    Bill

If the drive that FS is on in your old rig is still good just take it out and buy an external drive enclosure and install the drive in that. I did that on a drive that had my COD folders on it and it's still kickin. The one I have is a RocketFish brand enclosure, comes with all you need to get it working.

Chris
    Thanks Chris,

I have a few HD's, six to be precise, lol.. I am presently trying to locate a tower that can hold them (externally). If not, I will have docs. They have cool 'quick docks' now that you just plug a HD into and rock and roll. Pretty nice, and open, so they dont heat up as quick.

Bill

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbird17 View Post
    Unlike fsX, fs9 will work if you move it from one OS to another. My install started its life on a XP drive, then I moved it to my Vista install, now its back on my XP drive, yet I can still use it in Vista or XP. My fs9 is so heavly modded that I didn't want to lose it so I just move it around. I also use the registry tool to put the fs9 registry into my vista install because I hardly ever boot into XP and if I want to install a payware addon that needs to see the registry entry it finds it with no problems.

Joe

Thanks Joe,

That did the trick! I cant believe it, lolol....

I have a temporary HD exterior link cable/power set going, and hooked up my HD to the main computer through USB, did the FSTweak FS9 registry tool, and Voila! Took a flight, every thing is proper.

:d

A thousand thanks Sir!

:ernae:

Now for FSX, lol... eeeks!

Bill

Bill if you have UTX installed in FsX one of the menu items included in the UTX tool is a change FsX drive option. I'm looking to buy an Fsx dedicated drive when I will find out if the UTX tool works (deep intake of breath and crossed fingers)
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Here's my dumb question. If you move a game, say FSX, to another drive, do you need to make a new exe shortcut for your desktop? If often thought of copy/paste to a different drive but never dared to try the move. Scared of screwing the pooch and having to start all over from scratch with a new install. And was kinda afraid the registry would be screwed up too.
    Gary -

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
    Here's my dumb question. If you move a game, say FSX, to another drive, do you need to make a new exe shortcut for your desktop? If often thought of copy/paste to a different drive but never dared to try the move. Scared of screwing the pooch and having to start all over from scratch with a new install. And was kinda afraid the registry would be screwed up too.
    Hey GT-182, and Roger...

I did FSX next last night. I have them on my old drive, which I took out of my old computer, set on my desk, linked with a temp USB HD linkup (making it a giant thumbdrive), and used FSTweak.com's FSX Regsitry Fixer, and FS9 Registry Fixer, and reset the locations of the sims. I then when back and right clicked on the EXE files and selected 'Pin to Start Menu'. Cranked them up and they worked fine!!! lololol... Praise the Lord! Man, I couldnt believe it.

I did have to find MSXML 4.0 SP2 for FSX and download it from MS to get FSX to work, and it did.. Fired right up after installing that.

I then went back and got the flights from the flights folders, etc, and migrated those to the main drive.

Mega Scenery files will have to be reset as they are config coded to C: drive, so they show as missing to FS. Simple manual edits should get them back in order.

So..... Bottom line, very easy...!

Thanks to Butcher Bird for paving the way on this. Thank you Sir for your help.

:ernae: :ernae:

Bill

Thanks for that info Bill. And it's great to hear you got it running with no major problems. Takes a load off the ol bean doesn't it?
    Gary -

SOH-CM-2014
    Hey guys,

What happens when FSX stops and says, 'thank you for trying the demo of FSX' and abruptly ends?

:isadizzy:

I must have left something out on the swap over perhaps?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    What happens when FSX stops and says, 'thank you for trying the demo of FSX' and abruptly ends?

:isadizzy:

It knows you have changed your hardware and needs to be re-registered. Try the repair option from the DVD.