FA08 - Polk City - Fantasy of Flight - Development update

Thread: FA08 - Polk City - Fantasy of Flight - Development update

Hybrid View

FA08 - Polk City - Fantasy of Flight - Development update

After John Terrell's (Bomber_12th) call to arms on making a better version of Kermit Weeks' "Fantasy of Flight" in FSX, and after my friend Nio proposed my name, I had no choice but to volunteer. I have never been there but the data that John sent me and the stuff I found on line was enough to start. I have read so much about the place and Kermit Weeks that the subject intrigued me enough to jump into it.

I started from John's initial work, where he had done some corrections and added static planes on the tarmac. Then I started modelling the main building of the site. Now the building is almost complete and I did a first import to FSX, replacing the default one, just to see how it looks. Still some more details to be added on this one (AC units and stuff on the roofs and, if I manage, two flags on the poles) but the major stuff I wanted to achieve, the colours and the reflective windows and entrance sign, seem more or less OK. I will continue with the rest of the buildings and whatever smaller objects I can model. Then I will continue on the rest of the surrounding grounds. A good photoscenery background would really do this place justice but having no previous experience doing that I would appreciate any assistance. I also don't know if any good resolution photos exist for this.

The following shots show the airport with just the main building replaced. Check Acme Ad and Bashas Ad. The rest is default FSX (except for the static planes that John had added). The P-51 is John's masterpiece "Twilight Tear" in the "now" version. Thanks John!

I will post updates as they come along on this thread for anyone interested. Any comments are always welcome:

Some more from further away:

That is truly looking great!!!!

RD

WOW,
    I live 45 miutes from there and you really captured the look and feel!
    Great job!
    Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

WTG, it's coming along nicely. I'll definitely be adding this when it's ready.

It's just incredible the level of detail that Dimus has been incorporating into this project! As Dimus mentions, his work up to this point has been reproducing the main museum complex shown - the water tower and other buildings surrounding Dimus' work, is the crummy old default MS stuff. It is amazing comparing the MS default objects to what Dimus has been able to do - it is night and day difference, not only in detail and clarity, but even drastically different in scale and proportions. Not only are the architectural elements all so perfectly reproduced, but details like the rails and spot lamps atop the hangars, the entrance sign, and various window details, are just brilliant! I have immensely enjoyed watching as Dimus' work has come together to this point, behind the scenes, and I'm always looking forward to that next update!