This thread is by way of an FYI since gecko gave me the lowdown on getting this working. I can now do all my development work in Windows 7, which suits me very well!

The MOS file editor can work in Windows 7. It needs the following:-

1. the Microsoft .NET framework: this is already included in the operating system.
  2. DirectX 9.0c: yes I know Win7 has a later version of DirectX included, but you need 9.0c to run the MOS editor and Win7 will allow it to coexist with later versions. :isadizzy:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35
  3. Managed DirectX. This is buried in the middle of the multi-megabyte DirectX 9 SDK, but you can find it as an individual download elsewhere. Look for "mdxredist.msi download" on Google and you'll find it. Hopefully on a site that doesn't want you to register before you download, giving away your inside leg measurements etc: always scan such downloads with AV software before using.

Install these in the order given so it's DirectX 9.0c first, Managed DirectX second. The MOS editor will now run as desired.

The final gotcha - and for this I really want to thank gecko - is telling the editor where the .dds files referenced by a .mos file are:-

you do have to show the editor where to find the .dds files or it won't load. To do this click the options tab and click directories from the dropdown menu. Under the texture directories box click add and then navigate to the directory where the textures used by the mos are stored. If they are in more than one folder you will have to do this for each folder that contains textures called by the mos file
You should now be able to edit .mos files under Windows 7. Note there are two .mos editors available for CFS3 and the one to go for is part of the Terrain SDK for CFS3: it includes limited help files.

The same solution may also work for Vista and I'd really like to hear from anyone who has a try at this: please note that .NET framework is also included in Vista.

PS: if anyone is leery of downloading mdxredist.msi from alternative download sites, drop me a PM with an email addy and I'll send you my copy.