FSX Bristol Bombay Uploaded

Thread: FSX Bristol Bombay Uploaded

FSX Bristol Bombay Uploaded

I uploaded my model of the Bristol Bombay to flightsim and simviation this afternoon; should be there tomorrow. The Bristol Bombay first flew in 1935. Despite the all-metal, monoplane construction, the Bombay retained some features which were outdated at the time, such as its fixed undercarriage. Although it was outclassed for the European theatre, it saw some service ferrying supplies to the British Expeditionary Force in France in 1940. Its main service was in the Middle East, replacing the Vickers Type 264 Valentia. The Bombay was capable of dropping 250 lb bombs held on external racks, and was also used to drop 20 lb anti-personnel mines, which were armed and thrown out of the cargo door by hand. The aircraft flew bombing sorties in Abyssinia, Italian Somaliland, Iraq, and Benghazi. Obsolete as a bomber by European standards, the Bombays were predominately used as transports, ferrying supplies and evacuating the wounded.
    This is a native FSX Acceleration model. The livery is for Middle East desert service. I could find no data on the cockpit so I created one similar to twin engine planes of the same era. The VC has animated flight controls, working gauges and back lights for night ops. There is no 2D panel. The Pegasus sound file is by Gary Jones.
    BTW, this model does not crash FSX or give a overstress error when loading the plane as some of my recent models have done if damage is on in the sim. For some reason my system never showed this problem and I was not able to determine the cause. I recently made some hardware upgrades and low and behold my system started showing the same symptoms. I was able to find the cause; there were four stress statements either missing or set to zero at the bottom of the airplane geometry section of the aircraft .cfg file. These statements need a plus or minus value depending on the aircraft. I recently uploaded a fix for my B-18A and B-9 models. It is included in the Bombay upload.

Best, Paul

Attachment 64030Attachment 64031Attachment 64032Attachment 64033

Excellent, Paul, thank you! It is so great seeing these rare types given attention. I look forward to taking a test flight with the Bombay as soon as I can tomorrow.

Paul,

Great looking plane!

One thing I truly love about flight sim, in general, is the capabilities of the modders, painters, developers to put together planes that were mere pictures in the history books when I was a kid and immerse myself into that virtual planes years or decades later. Thank you Paul and all the developers, modders and painters to making simulation not just a hobby, but labor of love and inspiration.

Matt
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Charter Member 2011
    thanks paul, i've wanted a bombay for ages!

btw ... any chance of a Armstrong Whitworth whitley?
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

This one is a classic. Thank you.
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

SOH-CM-2023
    Paul,
    Thank you for the idea of the stress limits in the aircraft.cfg file - I've had 'bouncing' problems with most of my aircraft & my one under development at the moment would not stay still on the deck with the engine running. Funnily enough on my main computer ( now gone sick & waiting for a doctors appointment!) it doesn't (or didn't) do it, but on my laptop it did until I just added the 4 'g' level statements, now as smooth as a babes bottom - so thanks for the idea!
    Keith