Thread: More Low Down Gallivanting

More Low Down Gallivanting

With a Harvard this time. ; )

Nice set John! Very purdy...
    Like the head on one.

Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Thank you Joseph! Really enjoying testing the new flight dynamics and sounds. ; )

Having just picked up NZSI in the sale I am looking for a plane to explore it in, these shots make me wonder if it would be a good one

Great shots :salute:
    You take it easy.. and have a nice day

Which? Where?

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    With a Harvard this time. ; )
    John, is that the Carter/Eckert Texan?

And where is that RCAF 217 repaint available?

Thanks.

AusWilko, thank you! And yes, it is indeed a great aircraft to enjoy sight-seeing with.

JSchall, it is the Warwick Carter Texan. The repaint is available at Flightsim.com, with the file name woz_t-6_rcaf.zip by Michael Flahault. One of the important things to take note of, is that this repaint doesn't work with the updated model, rather it works with the model from the original release. The only thing different between the original model and the updated model, is the cowl mapping, which Wozza made available after this repaint had been released, in order to support other repaint-types. What I've done, is kept the original model, re-named the model folder for that, and tied it to this repaint, so while all of the other paint schemes I have installed at the moment are tied to the updated model, this one is tied to the original model. If you don't have the original model being used with this repaint, the cowling will be black, as it won't have a texture for it.

I've also been re-discovering these three very nice repaints, by Tom Stovall, which were released way back around the time that aircraft was released, found on this page: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...&page=30&pp=25

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the details, John.

It's a great-looking model, inside and out, but what a slug to fly!

Now, I know it's a heavy, under-powered trainer, but why won't it move? I start it the lazy way, after setting the fuel and magnetos ON, and at full throttle I can barely get it off the ground. At 2300 RPM and flaps and gear up, it barely goes 100 MPH. Even Rick Piper's Chipmunk moves that fast!

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong...

There are some excellent new flight dynamics and an amazing new soundset being developed and tested for this aircraft right now, by Joseph Thompson (FSXAR177), with both stock and racing setups. It will allow the aircraft to attain all of the proper airspeeds to the proper power settings as it should - cruise at 150 mph, and be able to turn average lap speeds at Reno from about 220 mph to 230+ mph, depending on power settings and how good of a line you can maintain around the T-6 Class pylons.

I personally didn't think it was all that sluggish, but having looked into it more, the current flight dynamics are quite a bit more under-powered than they should. I was happy with cruise being at about 125 mph, and climb rate of about 750-800 fpm, but that is quite a bit short of what it should be. As mentioned, with the new flight dynamics being developed, this is being corrected.

(One other thing to consider, is that red-line in the T-6 is 36" MP. In Wozza's Texan, if you go beyond that for too long, the engine will start to be destroyed, and your power will start to drop off. The new flight dynamics by Joseph even have incorporated the "Real Engine" module, so that you'll have to pay even more attention to the numbers.)

Banned
    Blog Entries

How do you light off the AT6?

Thank you Joseph! Really enjoying testing the new flight dynamics and sounds. ; )

OK, How do you fire this puppy up? I didn't see any manual and CTRL + E just cycles the prop and makes a lot of smoke.

I need the step by step procedures for a manual startup.

THanks

Just like the real aircraft, you have to build fuel pressure in the system, and to draw primer from.

-By default, the fuel selector is off, so you must first select a tank (the reserve/right tank should be used for starting the aircraft). Make sure the tank you select has fuel in it.

-Mixture Full-Rich

-Use the wobble pump, located between the two trim wheels, to pump up the fuel system pressure. Find the fuel pressure gauge on the instrument panel, and pump the fuel pressure up to 2 lbs.

-Prime three strokes

-Hit the ingnition and mags on

If the engine doesn't start the first time, give it one more stroke of primer, and try again. Too much prime will actually trigger a fire-smoke effect. Once you go through the above steps, pressing Ctrl-E will also start the aircraft, trouble-free.

Glad to see that there is alternative flight dynamics in the works, it seems to be very sluggish.

Fantastic looking plane that deserves to be flown alot

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just like the real aircraft, you have to build fuel pressure in the system, and to draw primer from.

-By default, the fuel selector is off, so you must first select a tank (the reserve/right tank should be used for starting the aircraft). Make sure the tank you select has fuel in it.

-Mixture Full-Rich

-Use the wobble pump, located between the two trim wheels, to pump up the fuel system pressure. Find the fuel pressure gauge on the instrument panel, and pump the fuel pressure up to 2 lbs.

-Prime three strokes

-Hit the ingnition and mags on

If the engine doesn't start the first time, give it one more stroke of primer, and try again. Too much prime will actually trigger a fire-smoke effect. Once you go through the above steps, pressing Ctrl-E will also start the aircraft, trouble-free.
    Thanks, that all worked great!!!! I guess I wasn't cycling the "wobble" pump enough.
    Now I have one more question.... Only the aft canopy opens/closes and the front one makes a noise when I try to open it but it sounds
    like it's either stuck shut or just won't open.

Are there some updates to this that I missed? I installed the basic and the updates:

Base/original aircraft files: fsds_t-6.zip Update for original release: fsds_t-6update.zip

I thought I saw somewhere on this blog some other handling (FDE) changes as well. Did I miss something here.

Thanks John for your startup info. I was close before and yes I did see the smoke when I over primed it. It looked like a barbeque gone
    out of control.

In regards to the canopy, the rear opens as #2, #1 (the front) will unlock on Shift+E, but then you have to manually slide it back from within the VC with the mouse. Until you lock it (Shift+E again) the extra noise will be present.

Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Yep, that sliding canopy is a cool feature - and makes it possible for that mid-position seen in some of my first screenshots.

At one time, I was going to have the canopy on my D-model Mustangs like that, so you could slide them open no matter how little or how much you wanted, but I thought it would be too much work for most.

LOL I discovered that sliding canopy a couple of flights ago, very nice feature.

Oh never swap into this mid flight, makes for a very rapid startup sequence done with precion cause it is a one shot deal when over the mountains in NZSI.

Flying in and out of Milford Sound is very cool at dawn or sunset

Members who have read this thread: 0