Problems, need help

Thread: Problems, need help

Problems, need help

Hello everybody,

I have been having problems with my Flightsims, FS9 and FSX. After recieving a large update from MS, I am using XP/Pro, my flightsims went to pot. I have got a lot of the problems corrected, but having problems with the following. No Atc voices, and some cockpit sounds. I have checked all of the systems and all are set correctly. At times I can hear, I think, the towers and airplanes traffice, but it is real low and can hardly hear it at all. Now this affects FS9 and FSX.

Thanks jim

I experienced something similar yesterday. Took forever for FS to load. I did a system restore to an earlier time before the "critical" update. Everything is back to normal now. Don't know if it will work for you or not but, thought I'd share what I did.

RD

I loathe MS's E N D L E S S patches; they fill up my HDD boot partition. Almost all come labeled as "security" related, so you feel obliged to D/L the things. On top of that, many are for applications I don't use (like Explorer) or situations that don't apply (like server-related) A couple of times MS's patches have screwed up my system.

So this has been my solution: I have my Sims on a separate PC running WinXP SP2 with no internet connection, no anti-virus and NO MS PATCHES/UPDATES.

I know not everyone will warm to this approach, but it works for me and has simplified my life.

- H52
    A tad high and a tad hot is better than a tad low and a tad slow - H52

after MS update screwed up my old computer, and it took forever to get it back right, I have the auto updates turned off and don't go to the MS site anymore.

have enough security stuff without MS forcing theirs on me.
    JohnH_049

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye52 View Post
    I loathe MS's E N D L E S S patches; they fill up my HDD boot partition. Almost all come labeled as "security" related, so you feel obliged to D/L the things. On top of that, many are for applications I don't use (like Explorer) or situations that don't apply (like server-related) A couple of times MS's patches have screwed up my system.

So this has been my solution: I have my Sims on a separate PC running WinXP SP2 with no internet connection, no anti-virus and NO MS PATCHES/UPDATES.

I know not everyone will warm to this approach, but it works for me and has simplified my life.

- H52
    ========================================
    Hawkeye:

You do EXACTLY the same thing that I do. I have a two Dell GX270 Desktops running Win XP PRO/SP3 and they have no internet connection, anti-virus, etc. FSX is on one and CFS2 and Rise of Flight on another. I basically shut them down from the Internet after installing SP3 and about two series of updates. Got tired of that. If they ever issue SP4, I will probably update after I am sure NOTHING will go wrong with it.

I have another Dell desktop that I use for the Internet. I get my Flight Sim files on this machine, run them thru MS Security Essentials and then transfer them to a USB flash drive and load them to the appropriate Flight Sim
    computer. As you say, it works for me and simplifies my (computer) life.

I don't know for other simulators, but, about FS9, you could try this:

at this place C:\Documents and Settings\"computer name"\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9

you have a subfolder named FS9.

1) save or rename this subfolder ( for example, FS9_
    2) start FS9. This subfolder will be created again, all specific functions will be returned to zero or will be changed.

If it does not work, you can return to the previous configuration.