Another Authentic Zero Flies

Thread: Another Authentic Zero Flies

Another Authentic Zero Flies

The Flying Heritage Collection's A6M3-22 Reisen was spotted arriving at Paine Field in Everett, Washington this past weekend. The aircraft was restored with a second seat and canopy, copying one of the mods that were done to several Zero's in the field (one of the original surviving field-modded Zero's was used as a basis for copying everything that went into the mods on this one). The aircraft is scheduled to make its official debut on June 9, flying along with the collection's recently re-finished P-40C Tomahawk, which will be FHC's first "Free Fly Day" of the year. As a result, I expect the aircraft will be getting painted very soon.

For those that will recall, this aircraft was actually delivered to the museum, by truck, nearly complete, just a few weeks before the museum opened in 2010, and it could be seen in the museum, looking like it was making progress towards completion. There were even some that stated that all it needed was a few good weekends of work to complete it - but that never happened. Sometime last year the aircraft was finally taken out of the museum and brought off-site, and now apparantly the work, with the exception of paint, is completed.

These photos were taken by Legend Flyers on Saturday, a warbird company that is located right next to FHC. As can be seen by their other photo albums, they have an A6M3 project that they are working on as well.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/se...4472131&type=3

As can be seen, the ever familiar face of Steve Hinton at the controls. This is one of those very rare instances, where, in my viewpoint, the second cockpit and canopy actually added to the looks of the aircraft - I just love it!

And here's a video of the arrival (though unfortunately something extremely boring enters the scene about 25% of the way in, though the video does cut back to the Zero a bit) : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ9IpNWYmx8

Speaking of the Flying Heritage Collection, I was just thinking today about the specific aircraft that they will be flying this year, in-all - pretty amazing:

A6M3 Zero - (one of only about four/five originals flying)
    Bf 109E-3 - (one of only two Emils flying)
    IL-2 - (the ony one flying)
    Fw 190A-5 - (the only original Fw 190 flying, completely authentic, and more than 80% original)
    P-40C - (one of only three P-40B/C's flying)
    Spitfire Mk.V - (one of only six Mk.V's currently flying)
    Hawker Hurricane - (one of only about 10 examples currently flying)
    P-47D - (amongst the two/three most accurate/authentic of its type, flying)
    P-51D - (amongst the two/three most accurate/authentic of its type, flying)
    B-25J - (most accurate/authentic of its type, flying)

The commonly flown examples not included on this summer's FHC flying list, is the collection's I-16, Po-2, and Storch, but I'd imagine they will be flown as well, even if not for public events.

Good to see another one in flying condition!
    Is that a Pratt under the cowl?

Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Yeah, it is a R-1830 under the hood. I should also say, that a lot of the aircraft is new-build, from original parts and original blueprint plans, like all of the authentic Zero's flying today are, with the exception of the Planes of Fame example. The landing gear legs, trim tabs, and a few other select parts can be claimed to be original.

Here's another photo, taken on Saturday after the aircraft's arrival, in what looks to be a FHC storage/maintenance hangar of sorts, with the collection's Curtiss Jenny, F6F Hellcat (currently under restoration), and German flack gun in the shot. As mentioned in my first post, the aircraft is now due for paint.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vintage...n/photostream/

With the ever-expanding collection of aircraft at FHC, there was mention of an approval that was made by Paul Allen, that will see the museum facilities expanded upon, so that hopefully the entire collection will be able to be seen at any one given time, rather than having to shuffle aircraft in and out due to lack of space in the main museum hangar, as currently has to be done. This is important too, because, at various locations, and under various levels of restoration work, the museum also has a P-38, Corsair, He 111, Me 262, Fw 189, and a B-17E, to name some.

Thanks for posting this Bomber!:salute:
    Man! Steve Hinton really racks up the flight time in ALL the rarest birds!

Yes, I figured it was an 1830.

Take a look at this, 1830 powered T-6!

Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Thanks B12 for the post, pics and links. Some pretty incredible aircraft at FHC.

Beautiful restoration/rebuild! They really nailed the two-seater field mod. I'd definitely cough up the bucks for a flight in it.

Thanks for posting the pics, Bomber. Is it true that the "Hamp" was originally called the "Hap" after Hap Arnold, but Arnold didn't like the idea of an IJN plane being named after him?

JAMES
    "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)