Question for our members

Thread: Question for our members

Retired SOH Administrator

Question for our members

What do you think would last longer, a TV or a computer monitor. I mean if you had one hooked up to your pooter, which would last longer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

Charter Member 2015
    6 of one ..half dozen of the other!

I've lcd tv's connected to htpc's and desktop pc's connected to monitors...never had one fail yet!
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Seems like most of the newer HDTV's are computer friendly and work quite well.
    I have a 32" HDTV I am very happy with.

It is a BluRay 3d compatible HDTV I got last year, it also works with the new nVidia 3DTV Play software, so I use it for some 3D gaming as well now.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-overview.html
    (Of course you need a 3D capable card and a 3d HDTV that is on the compatibility list on that web site.)

Just make sure it has high resolution capability, and low response times.
    Some of the HDTV's still have around 8ms response times, mine is around 3ms.
    From what I read, the faster the better.

Like to add more, but I'm heading out the door to work, sure someone else will pipe in.

I have replaced an HDTV that was only a year old and have had my computer LCD's for more than 3 years now.
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

Honestly, I've not had either wear out.

My PC typically runs out of capability before any hardware dies (excluding the HDD).

I've never had a monitor die on me, and haven't had any HDTV die on me either.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

I have been lucky so far. I have a 50" Plasma. 50" LCD, old 60" projection in TV's. On pooter monitors, 4 24" monitors. Apple,Asus and HP. I have not have a failure on any of them so far.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

I've had computer monitors and tv's fail on me. So far, in all cases, they have been CRT's and were very old and heavily used. I've been using LCD monitors and tv's for only a few years, so far they have all worked fine with no indication of failure or even degradation of the image.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Gdavis101 View Post
    I have replaced an HDTV that was only a year old and have had my computer LCD's for more than 3 years now.
    I have had one HDTV go out on me, it was a few years old.
    But a bad circuit in the house and a severe lightning storm are probably the culprits most likely that offed it.

House Surge Protector

I heard about a home surge protection that integrates with the main electrical panel in the house. Here is one that I found on home depot site. Just wondering if any of you have this kind of protection in your house?

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-...&storeId=10051
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Asus P8Z68 M
    Intel i7-2700
    16 GB of Ram
    GeForce GTX 550 Ti

I brought a couple of these for the pooter room >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...cups%20battery they are a great investment. We had a huge power surge and at the same time the transformer caught on fire across the street. I had headphones on and never knew this happened. The wife came in the pooter room and said we lost power and the trans across the street is on fire...lol. This system also records on your pooter so if there is a power surge you now have a record of it for the electrical company to pay for all the damage. I have invested in a lot of surge protectors in the past which all were junk. The ones I brought from Newegg to me is the way to go. When you lose power, what ever I am doing or watching in da pooter room never even flickers...Mike