(&*^$%)@! Firefox !@#%&&$#@$

Thread: (&*^$%)@! Firefox !@#%&&$#@$

(&*^$%)@! Firefox !@#%&&$#@$

I was running Firefox 3.something on my old comp and it ran fine. Installed the latest version on this one and this afternoon, I packed it in and uninstalled FF and went back to Internet Explorer. It wouldn't even let me check my email and was quite dodgy with forums. IE seems to be just plugging along just fine.

Not a happy camper with Mozilla at the moment. Seems like they took a good product and managed to screw it up.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Sorry to hear that Willy. I have been a Firefox user for many years and have never had any issues with it. I never use IE even though its built into Windows and I always use Thunderbird to read my mail and never a browser.
    Larry

Willy, have a look here: http://www.palemoon.org/

The Firefox people seemed to lose the plot a few years back. Looking around the 'Net, I found PaleMoon. It is a Firefox clone with all the too-clever-by-half stuff stripped out.
    Must be around five years now, and I am still very happy with it.

Cheers
    MikeW

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    ...Seems like they took a good product and managed to screw it up.
    Willy - sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope you get them ironed out soon.

IMHO the "develpers" of many softwares, including EVERY browser I have ever seen and/or heard of, are of the opinion that: no matter how well a thing works it can be improved by (polite euphimism) around with it some more. They, of course, are invariably incorrect and we as cosumers end up paying the price(s). IMHO, if it works, leave it the (polite euphimism) alone.

Personally, even with it's numerous,known issues, I'm sticking with IE. Warts and all!

LA
    ...things will go as they will; and there's no use hurrying to meet them.

Had a FF 4. something and it eat up RAM to no end. It was slow to no end. Just opeing it was slow. The PC had a idle of 190 MB and FF 4.? would max the PC out by eating all 500MB it had. This was when IE6 was still main from MS. The IE6 was only pusing it up to 220-230 MB.

I had to have that FF for school. I kept IE6 tell almost evey place would no longer work with it. The I went to IE8.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Had a FF 4. something and it eat up RAM to no end. It was slow to no end. Just opeing it was slow. The PC had a idle of 190 MB and FF 4.? would max the PC out by eating all 500MB it had. This was when IE6 was still main from MS. The IE6 was only pusing it up to 220-230 MB.

I had to have that FF for school. I kept IE6 tell almost evey place would no longer work with it. The I went to IE8.
    I had the same thing happen with the RAM issue. Had to give up FireFox for Chrome. I still have issues if I watch too many Youtube videos. Computer locks up.

Quote Originally Posted by Trans_23 View Post
    I had the same thing happen with the RAM issue. Had to give up FireFox for Chrome. I still have issues if I watch too many Youtube videos. Computer locks up.
    I, on the other hand, have NEVER had trouble with FireFox. Can't say the same about IE at all. IE is on my system but isn't used even once in 6 months time. I'm not really sure it's up to date. I'm an inveterate Youtube viewer, sometimes spending 3-4 hours in there

Hmm, insert your own witty saying here --

I have IE9, and I am very happy with it. Tried FF and Chrome, hated both. The memory eating problem with FF would not go away till I uninstalled FF the extremely hard way, new HDD!! Chrome says it's the fastest available, not on my system, it wasn't.

Had Thunderbird mail on my wife's little netbook with Vista Basic, because Windows mail wouldn't open her IPC default mailbox. When we got her new, bigger notebook with WIN7 on it, all those problems dissappeared. Staying with IE and Windows mail.

If you have XP still, you need to upgrade to WIN7. XP is extremely slow in comparison.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/history/

http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/11818/

Willy,

I had the same experience -- actually back when Mozilla went to FF4. At work they've pushed each new rev, so we are now at 11-something. They are a mess and I agree with about all of the Mozilla dev comments above and then some. To tame FF 11 requires concerted effort in configs, cascading style sheets, add-ons and a mess of other junk. It can be done, but why? Mozilla definately lost track of their customers and has been ignoring their input since FF4.

Firefox 3.6 is still supported and still patched. I run it on Vista Home 32-bit, also on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Win XP of course, plus all kinds of Linuxies and MacOS. Firefox 3.6 is still 32-bit but it works fine for what I need it for and doesn't aggravate me like FF 11, Vista, Windows 7, IE, et al.

Firefox 3.6.28 is the current patch level (08-March-2012), and Mozilla still releases security patches for it.

I go to File Hippo to get my updates. I don't know for sure where Mozilla keeps FF 3.6 on their web -- File Hippo works for me, and Major Geeks usually has the latest patch too. The downloads are the full Firefox install with newest patches.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/history/

http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/11818/ -- the 3.6.28 download page

If you run FF Add-ons like AdBlock Plus, NoScript, Cookie Monster, Greasemonkey, Stylish and the like you may have to check compatibility with FF 3.6 and turn off updates for the Add-ons.

Add-ons are hosted at addons.mozilla.org and there are previous versions and revision histories for about all the add-ons hosted there. Links to developer web sites in most cases too -- so you can get add-ons to match Firefox 3.6 version.

For that matter you will probably want to also turn off updates for Firefox since the Mozilla update will give you FF 12 rather than the next patch for Firefox 3.6

P.S. -- For the truly motivated, the Firefox 3.6 source code is here: http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-1.9.2
    If someone just had to have 64-bit support for Firefox 3.6 they could build it from source. Chrome (Chromium) is also open source. Pretty sure IE doesn't do that.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!"

One of the problems I was running into with Firefox was it's constantly telling me I needed to update flash player. The problem is that when I went to do that, the installer wouldn't work saying the lastest version doesn't work with XP 64. It all seems to be working with IE 8. But the kicker was when FF refused to let me check gmail and was giving me the run around to fix it. I checked my mail with IE and it was working great. So, I switched back.

just use opera - problem solved.

Thanks for the tip about Pale Moon! I will be trying it later today!

NC

Just installed and am kicking the tires on Pale Moon. Pretty good so far!

It is very much like the older Firefox that I liked so much. And doesn't have the "hang time" that I was experiencing with IE 8.

+1 java2srv on the FF 3.6.28 info, been using FF3 since it came out and love it, wife had to have FF4 and it's a disaster but she needs that mess for some coupon app that needs FF4 support for the java package.

A shame Willy, you rely on that flash trash. Adobe has that system so hosed Apple recently dumped it off their new hardware. Guess if you need flash that bad IE's security holes won't bother you much.

Wife has same issue with the flash update messages- seems she ran the update without admin privileges and a partial update funked the entire install of FF. Uninstalling FF4 and reinstalling wouldn't fix the issue so I just disabled the notification to update. I'm thinking a reg entry got botched but I'm too lazy to fix it as the issue is fixxed, just not the underlying problem.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Quote Originally Posted by MaddogK View Post

A shame Willy, you rely on that flash trash. Adobe has that system so hosed Apple recently dumped it off their new hardware. Guess if you need flash that bad IE's security holes won't bother you much.
    i totally agree that flash is garbage. but apples rejection of it is a poor yardstick to measure by considering how bad some of their software can be (itunes, for example)

for myself, i use opera. it doesn't play well with flash either, so if i get some flash heavy site, i just don't go there. i've yet to miss anything other than crappy ads i don't want to see anyhow

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I was running Firefox 3.something on my old comp and it ran fine. Installed the latest version on this one and this afternoon, I packed it in and uninstalled FF and went back to Internet Explorer. It wouldn't even let me check my email and was quite dodgy with forums. IE seems to be just plugging along just fine.

Not a happy camper with Mozilla at the moment. Seems like they took a good product and managed to screw it up.
    hey watch the language!:costum:lolH
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i use OPERA!

I preffer that no problems give it a try!
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Quote Originally Posted by MaddogK View Post
    Don't matter, they don't support Windows XP 64 bit anyway. Still having that problem with PaleMoon.

Willy -
    I never got to XP 64 bit. BigBeast was 32 bit XP3 and its new mobo just arrived . I am currently running 64 bit PM 11.0.1 on the Win7 x64 Home Premium box which replaced BigBeast.
    That version of PM is compatible with 64 bit XP2 or better. Could there be an issue with your CPU?

http://www.palemoon.org/technical.shtml#CPUsupport

I have the Adobe Acrobat 10.1.3.23 and the Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.233 plug-ins installed. No probs with either, so far.

ATB
    MikeW

It's the lastest flash player that Firefox/Pale Moon wants me to install that's not compatible with XP 64. Apparently they went straight from XP 32 bit straight to Vista and skipped XP 64.