More What-if fun: Convair PB7Y-2

Thread: More What-if fun: Convair PB7Y-2

More What-if fun: Convair PB7Y-2

Yeah, had an idea this afternoon...

I got your long-range patrol bomber right here! Alphasim B-36H, redone as a fictional "PB7Y-2" serving with Long Range Patrol Squadron 5 (LORAPATRON 5), 1957.

Small tweaks necessary (gear doors, add some small markings, probably going to paint the spinners) then to upload.

Any aircraft looks better in a Navy paint scheme :d. Great job!
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Paint it and I will come. That looks nice.

Bob
    CPU: Intel i7-5960X OC 4.5
    MOBO: Asus X99 Deluxe
    RAM: 16GB (4x4) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2800
    GPU: Asus STRIX GeForce GTX980
    PSU: SeaSonic X850
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB (FS9)
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB (FSX)
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
    HDD: WD 7200 Black 1TB
    CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo (white)
    CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

Yes, but can it land on a carrier???
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

....Perhaps it could be a carrier.

Well, there was serious talk of the Navy operating the B-52 for a while there, so why not the B-36?

There were certainly attempts to make the B-36 a carrier of sorts. Some more successful than others.
    It sure does look good in those colors.

Stefan

Dude that is awesome!
    I could see those being used right up through the 1980's. Of course there would likely be some improvements along the way, like maybe replacing the R-4360s with turboprops in the mid-60's MLU (mid-life upgrade). A Convair PB7Y-2 would have been a very formidible maritime patrol aircraft. The endurance would have been phenomenal. The payload would have been prodigious. The ASW hardware would have been extensive. The mind boggles. :isadizzy:
    Just not sure what it would have been called after 1962, the P-4 maybe? And what of a nickname? Peacemaker doesn't seem to have enough panache. Oh well. Again Rallymodeller you outdid yourself.

Rally,

that looks great, love the 'what-if's', I know there not everyones cup of tea, but I'll take a full pot please.

As for a name, something that big should have the same name as that overgrown seagull, the Albatross, heck it's even got it's own music.

[YOUTUBE]<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Viqr6KHwJjc?version=3&feature=player_detailpage">< param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Viqr6KHwJjc?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>[/YOUTUBE]

or some fishy fun :d

[YOUTUBE]<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z_u7VGiMO0U?version=3&feature=player_detailpage">< param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z_u7VGiMO0U?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>[/YOUTUBE]

or something a bit meatier featuring the big birdy...

[YOUTUBE]<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WfNAiPpApx4?version=3&feature=player_detailpage">< param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WfNAiPpApx4?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Jamie

....Yeah...with turboprop and modern avionics, it's be like an upscale Tu-95....

I actually prefer 'Leviathan', has a bit more menace about it.

Jamie

The name is something I had already been thinking about. "Leviathan" sounds good -- it is a marine creature -- and it does have that sense of menace about it. Just about have the paint ready for upload, and adding a name to the nose will finish it up.

Incidentally, I know I skipped a Convair navy patrol bomber -- the PB6Y would have been a Navy version of the B-32 Dominator. With it's lack of pressurization and exceptional range, its weaknesses as far as the Air Force was concerned would have made it ideal for the Navy.

Quote Originally Posted by JDTinballs View Post
    I actually prefer 'Leviathan', has a bit more menace about it.

Jamie
    I like that name 'Leviathan', Cees. The B-36 was a BIG airplane, a real monster and the earliest versions with the single main gear tire had to have runways specially built to handle the weight of the plane, otherwise they'd SINK into the ground... literally. Newer versions had a 4 wheel trolly system on each main gear, which made weight distribution a bit more realistic. Nonetheless... it was truely a 'Leviathan' in the real sense of the word.

BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

I like this scheme, I wish it was still available for purchase for FS9.
    Matt