A few questions

Thread: A few questions

A few questions

How is the default terrain implemented compared to FSX. Things like mesh resolution, terrain textures, auto-gen textures and placement, etc...? I know you can add FSX scenery add-ons, but I'd be more curious as to how the default world "looks" as compared to FSX. Any screen shots comparing the two would be helpful.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Here is pic as im current enroute LAX-IAH. I like the default mesh better then FSX. Better res and sharper contours.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

My first flight was a very short, late dusk flight from the default airport, in the default Mooney Bravo. My setup was totally default, except to set the display to my desktop setting, 1680x1050x32. My framerates were not great, in the 8-12FPS range, but it was smoooooth! No jerkiness, no delays in controls. It actually looked more like I was getting low 20's, instead of the very low numbers the counter was showing.

BTW, the default airport is Norfolk, Va. KNGU/KORF

I have lots of experimenting to do, but I'm still getting back up after rebuilding my new rig. all my drive letters have changed, so all my scenery cfgs. are screwed up, and it takes time to correct them, for 6 different loads of FS9 and FSX.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    I cant really compare as I have purchased a few Mesh and mesh texture updates for FSX to help improve it, so mine wouldnt be true for 'actual' this to that.

I can show you some screenshots though I have done for San Diego flights I have been doing lately in P3D.

Remember, this is ESP updated 3 times. This is FSX with tons of improvements carried out on the code. The sim runs better then it did on most computers. This has updates to the terrain tile textures. This is an advancement of FSX.

Bill
    LHC
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    One thing I experienced to better over fsx is flying tubes and my scenery hold crisp thru a cross county flight no blurriness. Now if only I can get Vafs to dect prepar3d, my kacars will dect and work.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Chapel Hill, NC and the Texas Hill Country
    I'm running Windows 7 and installed P3D into Program files (x86).
    I'm going to reinstall to try and correct a few minor problems...
    You guys think I should just put it straight into (C and stay away from Program files ???

Thanx,

LD
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....

It's about learning

to dance in the rain.

LD, if you only have one HD then I would bury that bone some place like C:\Prepar3d and work from there. Otherwise you will be battling the protected folder status for a long time.

Chapel Hill, NC and the Texas Hill Country
    Quote Originally Posted by Meshman View Post
    LD, if you only have one HD then I would bury that bone some place like C:\Prepar3d and work from there. Otherwise you will be battling the protected folder status for a long time.
    Okee Dokee.....

I owe you a couple, Mesh.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....

It's about learning

to dance in the rain.

Anyone have Xavier's Vietnam War Project Scenery Loaded ?

Just wandering if anyone has tried loading Xavier's excellent Vietnam War Scenery into Prepar3D ? FSX's default terrain textures in SE Asia does not do this excellent scenery justice . I know there were some lengthy discussions about areas(ex:SEA) sharing textures with other Asian areas and as a result SEA(ex:Vietnam) was not represented very well in the default FSX . Oh well , maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here . I'm reading as many Prepar3D threads as I can as I anticipate purchasing the Academic . Danang , RVN used to be my old stomping grounds and I have it loaded down with AI going in and out of VVDN and at times it brings a considerable FPS hit . WOW , Prepar3D IMO has tremendous potential . Now , might spend a good portion of the weekend deleting , storing , and rearranging some space on a partitioned hard drive to prepare Prepar3D for it's new home .

Thanks for the new forum , looking forward to keeping up on the news , suggestions and overall help in the months ahead in The Prepar3D Forum .

Rich

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    I'm running Windows 7 and installed P3D into Program files (x86).
    I'm going to reinstall to try and correct a few minor problems...
    You guys think I should just put it straight into (C and stay away from Program files ???

Thanx,

LD

LD, I put mine in an alternate drive. All of my sims are on an external USB linked HD. That helps also in speeding up frames, though it didnt help with FSX.

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    LD, I put mine in an alternate drive. All of my sims are on an external USB linked HD. That helps also in speeding up frames, though it didnt help with FSX.
    To be fair it probably hurt with FSX, an external USB drive has a much slower transfer rate than an internal SATA drive.

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    To be fair it probably hurt with FSX, an external USB drive has a much slower transfer rate than an internal SATA drive.
    Yep. I know. I tried to figure out how to wire out a secondary SATA on this iMac, lol.. I wanted that bad. I do have FireWire. I could possibly update my dock to something with that socket, but I think SATA is the best in performance.