Need advice on FS9 scenery enhancement

Thread: Need advice on FS9 scenery enhancement

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

Need advice on FS9 scenery enhancement

I am seriously considering enhancing the FS9 scenery I have beyond the downloads for specific airports, water effects, and clouds I am currently using. I am wondering what scenery program produces effects such as those seen in this beautiful screenshot showing Milton Shupe's latest effort that I just copied, and am using solely for illustrative purposes:

Attachment 62387

The clarity of the mountains, tree textures, and cloud textures is what I'm looking for on my machine.

The objective is to reach the above level of detail without overstressing the video card or sucking up memory to the shriveling point. A reasonable price would be nice, too.

Any input would be most helpful.:salute:

Charter Member 2016
    Get FSX or P3D!
    That screenie is from FSX using payware scenery addons.
    But if you were to spend money on FS9 in an effort to approach that, invest in Tongass Fjords and REX
    http://secure.simmarket.com/fsaddon-...s-fjords.phtml
    http://secure.simmarket.com/rex-real...r-fs2004.phtml

I have them both and they are both worth the money... (now in my poor college student days I wish I had that money to spend on living, but I don't regret the expense in retrospect)
    "Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." - 2 Nephi 31:20

Mormon.org

And mesh. Go to fsgenesis before the sale ends.

And FScene ground scenery.

And Feng trees freeware.

And Ultimate Terrain.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Many thanks for the advice, and I will investigate. Thanks again!:salute:

erm... if you like a bargain, look no further.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...Free-Version-2

Jamie

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Gee, thanks - I went to the link, nothing there except the thread, I looked for a link but didn't find one in the original posting - where do you find these tutorials?

I'll see if I can find my copy and PM you if I do, but you might try PMing OBIO, he wrote it and probably still has a copy. I would suggest you read the thread through, it has a lot of good suggestions. HTH

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    Gee, thanks - I went to the link, nothing there except the thread, I looked for a link but didn't find one in the original posting - where do you find these tutorials?
    sorry SSI01,

it may have been an attachment and lost when the rest were, seems everyones attachments have gone, including my albums.

And of course lets not kid ourselves....if your graphic card is already breathing hard running FS at your present detail and settings, chances are that the more you improve on the visuals the more asthmatic it will become until you need to bring out the paddles and the gel. Very very rarely is there a free lunch in FS.

I don't know about this particular shot you posted as an example, but I have a good friend down under who had a true artists instinct for composing screen shots. And while he constantly upgraded his system both in soft- and hardware he normally used the PAUSE key to really get the best quality ones. Pause increase the FS fidelity settings and then take the shot.
    That is one great improvement in FSX actually because you can save a graphics setting strictly for that purpose and another one for flying and simply swap back and forth.

Cheers
    Stefan

Okay SS101, found the file so check your PMs. I don't think OBIO will mind, It is solely his work and he deserves all the credit for it
    so I will try and attach it here, but it may not work given the recent problems with attachments. here goes

Attachment 62431

Actually the whole thing is at the very top of the Forum under Tips and Tweaks with many additional posts from other members.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...weaks-and-Tips

Cheers
    Stefan

unfortunately while the post is still there the attachment of the guide has disappeared, that is why I reposted it here

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Sunny & Norab; family currently here from out of town, will investigative all suggestions ASAP and report what I've discovered re: sim appearance and performance.:salute:

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Folks I'm not sure this is connected with the download from RhumbaFlappy's site or not - when attempting to start FS9 I get the startup screen, then get to the "select aircraft" screen, with the windowed aircraft rotating, etc - and then the screen begins to rapidly go on and off, very rapidly. I can maneuver my mouse across the screen, with difficulty, and was able to back out of FS9. I noted this didn't start until I completely downloaded all the 5, 7, and 8 files from RhumbaFlappy's site. I haven't installed them yet, just put them in a folder on my desktop. According to Avast, I'm virus-free, and the same thing with MalwareBytes. Not sure what's causing this. I tried running another sim this morning and discovered it wouldn't run as it says it failed to recognize DirectX9.

Never heard of anything going kaput just because you downloaded files, except of course for a real sneaky virus. The RumbaFlappy files have at least not done anything to my systems when I used them....but that was ages ago. And things may have happened along the way.

Stefan

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Re: the problem - a quick "burp" administered to the system (complete shutdown & restart) fixed things, at least so far.

I plan on coming back up to ask about installation instructions once I have all the files downloaded. So far I've got all the mesh files OBIO mentioned in his upgrade tutorial - RF's 5, 7, and 8 level meshes plus the JIT 10 level meshes and West Coast mesh set as well. Concentrating now on all other files. Downloading them into one folder, then scan for viruses & malware, then come back for advice on how and in what order to install.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    All files are chased down and downloads are complete - with the exception of the one file Obio said was on Megaupload - go to that site and you get the technicolor screen from the FBI telling all of us about those dastardly characters formerly running that site.

Does anyone know where the file Obio mentions, done by Pablo Diaz and containing for the sky/sun, is located?

Do a search for Pablo Diaz at Avsim .... Mike

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, I did - His HDE (High Definition Environment) file is there all right, both versions in fact (as mentioned by Obio), however, there is no file relating solely to the sun/sky, which is also described by Obio and was originally on Mega-Upload.

I will probably be able to add it later without problems once I find it, and what I've got right now is pretty good for sun effects, I think. Time to do the scans for trojan horses, etc and then come back up for air!

The sky was in the Pablo Diaz package I just installed about a week ago.

Just checked that thread. The filename is hdev2.zip
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, feel much better now knowing I have it in the files already!:salute:

Took a little time to track down. It has disappeared from the usual places. here is Pablo Diaz' Sun (beta) which is not included in either cloud package. HTH

Attachment 63025

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Thanks norab - downloaded and included!

All virus and malware scans (per Avast! and MalWareBytes) are complete, and the files are clean. They came from the places specified in the tutorial if anyone else is thinking about downloading them and wondering if they are clean.

I read Obio's tutorial and got things more or less set up in a folder on my desktop like I think he had them. Here's what I've got:

Obio's Scenery Update File -
    GW3 basic file, updates and extras
    RF Level 5 mesh
    RF Level 7 mesh
    RF Level 8 mesh
    West Coast mesh files (JIT)

All in their separate folders named as shown. Separate zip files in this same basic folder are -
    cliffs.zip
    hde2.zip
    newcliffs.zip
    photovg.zip
    treegen.zip
    aratsp.zip
    HDESUN!.zip
    MASSIVE_THUNDERSTORM.zip
    newgdb.zip
    thunderptch.zip
    twofix.zip

Here is the other folder:

Justin Tyme mesh sets
    47 zip files I'm not even going to try to list - but if you go to FlightSim you can see them all! They comprise every set he has for the continental U.S.

What I would like to do is as much as possible keep everything in one folder to more easily manage it in the scenery library, and when activating it. I know I will have to separately open and install all the ".zip" files shown above, no problem. My question involves the mesh sets. There's no way I can keep from having to open and separately install each of the 47 mesh sets for the U.S. by JIT, that's a given. I plan on introducing those gradually and monitoring system performance to see what is "dinged" (i.e., frame rate, sim loading time, etc). Same thing with the West Coast mesh sets, they are all zip files - and may actually be a pretty good place to start, there aren't many and it's confined to one section of the country.

All of RF's mesh files are just .bgls and can be (if I'm guessing right) kept in their folders and just added to the scenery library in the usual way. Does this sound like a plan or should I be changing something?:ques: