New set of wheels

Thread: New set of wheels

New set of wheels

We got Mrs Willy a new (to us) 4 wheeler this afternoon, a Honda Rubicon. Hope it holds up as well as my old Polaris has.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

come visit me and take it over the real rubicon...i live close by....desolation valley is a beautifull place

We mainly just use them on the farm here. Although we have been known to take them out on the roads around here as well.

Retired SOH Administrator
    I didn't know they made those for diesel engines. Is it cheaper to run.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

Should be a good one Willie. I know several people with Honda ATVs (my step dad won't own anything other than a Honda). All of them have been as tough as a tank.

I'm partial to Kawasaki and V twins though.... Here's a pic of our two Brute Force 750s.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    XP Pro: Intel D975XBX2 /QX6700 @ 3.50GHz / 8800GTX / 2X2GB G.Skill PC2 8500 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 320GB Seagate 7200.10 / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON 20X DVD / X-FI Music

Vista Ultimate 64: Intel D975XBX2 / Q6700 @ 3.6GHz / 8800GTX / 4X2GB G.Skill PC2 8000 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 750GB WD Caviar / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON SATA DVD / onboard sound

Polaris made them for a couple of years ending in 1999. We've had this one since 2001 and while I've got it apart in the shop behind the house right now while I replace the fuel hoses and put in new batteries, it's been pretty solid for us. It just sips the diesel fuel. During the summer I might have to fill it twice a month. The down side is that it doesn't like to start in cold weather.

David, we looked at a used Kawasaki 750, but it had racing stickers and a tuned exhaust system on it and I figured it had probably been rode hard so we passed on it.

Nice truck too!

Thanks P! After the fiasco of my last one, I'm really liking this Nissan.

SOH-CM-2023
    These are my new wheels....

Attached to my new to me 87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Station Wagon

Attachment 61765
    Attachment 61766
    Attachment 61767
    You can't take the sky from me...

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post

David, we looked at a used Kawasaki 750, but it had racing stickers and a tuned exhaust system on it and I figured it had probably been rode hard so we passed on it.
    I would have passed too. It can get expensive very quickly if you have to start replacing parts on these things. Mine are completly stock except for wheel and tires, haven't been ridden hard, and really haven't been ridden all that much. I've seen the parts prices online and talked to other people that have had to replace parts. Nothing cheap about them.
    XP Pro: Intel D975XBX2 /QX6700 @ 3.50GHz / 8800GTX / 2X2GB G.Skill PC2 8500 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 320GB Seagate 7200.10 / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON 20X DVD / X-FI Music

Vista Ultimate 64: Intel D975XBX2 / Q6700 @ 3.6GHz / 8800GTX / 4X2GB G.Skill PC2 8000 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 750GB WD Caviar / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON SATA DVD / onboard sound

I'm kind of going through that right now with the Polaris Diesel. It's a 99 model and developed some fuel issues last summer. Plus needing a new set of batteries. But up until then, about all I had to buy for it was fuel and the occasional oil change.

That new Honda should treat ya well Willy. They've always been solid machines...high-priced, but well worth it.

We've been running Cat 500s for quite a few years now. 3 of em in use at the farm. The two oldest have 9700 and 8400 miles so #3 is an eventual replacement for one of em.
    Haven't seen anything good about the new Cat-built engines...I wish they would've stuck with Suzuki power...so our next ones will probably be Yamaha or Honda.
    Some friends have been running the Yamahas for quite a few years and their current 700 is a powerhouse. It's a fun machine when empty and just an absolute horse when you start crawling trails or pulling a trailer around.

Glad to hear you're finally retiring that soot-burner! Sounds like it worked out good for ya.
    I remember when you got that and I believe I gave you a little grief about it back then too. I suppose I'll have to eat a little crow on that.

Oh, the Diesel isn't going into retirement. It's just getting some much needed fuel system work. There were clumps of tar looking stuff in the bottom of the fuel tank and we're cleaning it all out and replacing all the old fuel hose along with a new fuel filter. One of those clumps had the fuel fitting on the bottom of the tank stopped up which was why it wouldn't run for more than a few minutes last summer. Probably picked that stuff up while we were using the farm's tractor fuel in it. We had to change the filters on the big John Deere tractor a few months ago as it was clogging up too.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Gladden View Post
    These are my new wheels....

Attached to my new to me 87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Station Wagon

Attachment 61765
    Attachment 61766
    Attachment 61767
    Nice. Mine came back to life last week. My late Dad bought it new for my late Mom in 1995. Gave it to us when it ticked up 75,000 miles. Survived the destruction around it from Hurricane Rita; only to go do with a cracked block at it's new home (cronic radiator leak, not enough coolant.) Brought it back to life by having the engine rebuilt, only to have it go back down a year later with blown head gaskets and a cracked cylinder.

Still didn't have the heart to scrap it; so it sat dead in the driveway for nearly four years. When Dad passed away back in August, I decided to use part of the inheritance to have the engine rebuilt one more time. Still needs a little more work; but it is running once again.

Attachment 61856

Attachment 61857

I still taking time off from making FS models, but here is a paper model of it I made this weekend.

Attachment 61858

-James

Went to the Exxon station in town today to fill some gas cans and there was a new Polaris ATV parked at the pump getting filled up. Local cop was there admiring it and all he had to say was nice four wheeler and be safe on it. Darn, I like living here in rural TN.