"Cripes A' Mighty 3rd" - Full Invasion Stripes

Thread: "Cripes A' Mighty 3rd" - Full Invasion Stripes

"Cripes A' Mighty 3rd" - Full Invasion Stripes

As requested, this is a repaint for the Warbirdsim "Little Friends II" product, featuring a new rendition of "Cripes A' Mighty 3rd", in its earlier form than as produced for the base product. This repaint depicts the aircraft while it still sported full invasion stripes, as seen pictured in June 1944, but the differences don't stop there. When the aircraft was photographed with the full invasion stripes still in-place, the amount of kill-markings had 'only' gotten to 17 at that point (the last rendition of Cripes-3rd, in August of '44, as included in Little Friends II, had a total scoreboard of 31 by that point). Other details also include the black stripe on the rudder, the black stripes passing over the top surfaces of the horizontal stabilizers, and this early on, there were not any names applied to the aircraft yet. The data-block stencil is also a bit different - as seen on this early version of the aircraft, the original factory-applied data block is still fresh and easily seen. Sometime afterward, however, likely due to cleaning and polishing the aircraft in the field, this factory-applied data block became almost completely removed, with just traces of the lettering remaining. Using stencils available on the field, this data-block was re-applied above the original - a detail reproduced on the later-rendition included in Little Friends II.

What will also be included with this repaint, is a revised texture file for the later rendition included with Little Friends II, which will update the blue paint on the nose, to being more accurate, as adjusted for this repaint. I just need to write-up a readme file, and then I'll get it upload and provide a link in this thread.

These first four shots are some early vs. late comparison shots.

Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Okay, when it's available, you should be able to download it from this link: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=3&linkid=5576
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Thanks John, another great addition to the Cripes_A_Mighty wardrobe. Beautiful work!!
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Charter Member 2014 Thunderbolt's Avatar
    nice work and the screens looking awesome
    GREETINGS TORSTEN " THUNDERBOLT "

Here's the inspiration for one of the ground-angles (though I didn't capture it perfectly). This is one of, if not the earliest photos of the aircraft, and the only one I know of that shows it sporting the full-invasion stripes. The photo is said to have been taken in June 1944, and the specific markings and details captured within this photo were used for both the original, later rendition of the aircraft (as included in Little Friends II), and much more so with this earlier rendition.

BTW, after Preddy went back home to the states in late August of '44, the aircraft would end up with Capt. Henry Stewart, and named "The Margarets", and then be passed to Lt. Francis Reading, who applied the name "Sexshunate" (a play on the military's Section 8 discharge). The aircraft would then be assigned to Capt. Marion Nutter, keeping the same name. The aircraft looked quite different by this time, with the late-blue paint applied (though a section of the lighter blue was kept, where the "Sexshunate" nose art writing had been applied), and being a 487th FS aircraft, the rudder was painted blue. A dorsal fin fillet was also added by this point. While I don't believe a photo exists of the aircraft while it was named "The Margarets", if no one else has done it yet, it might be a natural progression for me to reproduce the aircraft as it was when Capt. Marion Nutter had it.

Thanks John, very nice and much appreciated.

Taff
    The grass is always greener on the other side...

But, it's just as hard to mow!

Juat got home and found this...thank you John!!! very much......big fan of invasion stripes here and throw in the blue nose.....instant winner. Were there any yellow nose birds with full invasion stripes?

Members who have read this thread: 0