Warning: This is going to be a bit long winded.
I released a Birdcage Corsair a few months ago. It had been sitting for a couple years. I originally started it because someone wanted a Night Fighter Corsair with a Radome and the NF Corsairs had the framed Canopies.
The Corsair was a Project I started MANY years ago, back in 2001. This was my second completed aircraft design project. The ones before were a N1K2-J Shiden KAI which was lost entirely with a disk crash and a P-51A Mustang which was completed.
At the time, my view of CFS aircraft was that they were generally very crude. I was also trying to learn how to use Aircraft Factory 99. Each project at the time had a well defined goal. The goal for this project was to figure out how difficult it was to build an aircraft with a cranked wing such as a Stuka or a Corsair. I had found a few Corsairs available for download but other than the Alain L'Homme F4U-5, none of them were very good. Many folks repainted that post-war Corsair to be wartime versions. To me, this didn't seem appropriate because the -5 version had cheek pouches and a 4 bladed propeller unlike the wartime -1 Corsairs.
The idea of proper research didn't come up because I figured that very few of the aircraft for CFS actually looked like the real thing and also because the greatest concern was problems that would come up in actual building.
I spent probably not more than an hour or so in finding a drawing that looked like a Corsair. The next few days were spent with a dial caliper in measuring dimensions and using a calculator to translate into AF99. Correctly translating the drawing was important. Never mind that the drawing itself was rather poor.
The result was a "Airplane" that didn't have any serious bleeds and kind of resembled a Corsair. There were serious shape problems which I didn't notice because it was a "CFS Corsair". The first revision corrected some minor shape problems. The second revision added a pilot. The third revision happened several years later when it finally occurred to me that the bends for the wings were way too far out (about 1 foot). During this rebuild, I found that there were LOTS of other shape problems. The Wings and Flaps got a total rebuild but were altered a bit to make them fit the original Fuselage.
That is where this project stands today. I have been debating for a while whether or not to re-release this project because the shapes aren't very good. I probably will anyway because most of the work is already done and it only needs a couple hours to complete little stuff.
The moral of this story is to do your research properly to prevent problems WAY down the road.