Track IR

Thread: Track IR

Track IR

I'm thinking of buying Track IR, but am looking for some information before I spend the big bucks. I don't fly fast jets, mostly single engine props and slow big birds...DC-6, B-24, L049 etc. Does Track IR work well and will it benefit me in my slow flying? Any advice will be most welcome.
    John
    ATC USN Ret

I personally think it will benefit you in any aircraft you fly. With a good TIR profile you hardly even notice you have it. I don't think I could fly without TIR now, and I will fly anything from a C172 to an F-15E. You will have better situational awareness, and more immersion I think. Being able to almost naturally look around the cockpit helps greatly.

Once you are accustomed to using the TIR you will not be able to fly without it. It is like the difference between flying with a joystick and the keyboard.

Dave

I was wondering the same thing and posted a similar thread a while back. I'm glad I listened to the folks here and their positive comments. I absolutely LOVE TrackIR. Like many have said, I can't fly without it. It works as advertized, doesn't affect my FPS at all, gives you a situational awareness that will make all your flying easier and more fun, and has an immersion factor that can't be described in words -- it has to be experienced. If you've got the cash, I can't think of a better enhancement for FS (well, apart from my yoke, rudder pedals, and throttle quadrant).
    --Brian

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

After years and years of seeing videos and reading about TIR I finally took the dive...I bought the TIR4PRO when it was on sale earlier this year. I LOVE it. I would say though, if you don't have a complete setup yet (stick or yoke, Throttle, AND Rudder) then your money is better spent in completing this setup. (if you're trying to decide getting rudder pedals vs TIR for example...I would say the pedals then TIR). I don't fly without it now. I can turn it on/off with the push of a button, it's great. The immersion factor is bumped WAY up with its use.

A complete setup is not complete without TIR. Can't say it any clearer.

Jim

It's an excellent addition to FSX (or any flying game)

Be sure to get a profile called 'Seth - Flight' - it's in their support forums under TIR...
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Okay, I'm gonna get it. Thanks for the advice.
    John
    ATC USN Ret

Quote Originally Posted by jojohnson9 View Post
    Okay, I'm gonna get it. Thanks for the advice.
    If you are going to buy one make sure you check out Ebay first. I bought both my TIR4 and my TIR5 from reputable Ebay sellers (i.e. Ebay 'stores') for a fraction of normal retail prices. Both were brand new and still sealed in their plastic 'pods'.
    Larry

If Sky_God took my TrackIR away, and forbade me to ever use it again, then I would delete every byte of all flightsims from my HD's, and then make the Big Announcement here on SOH to delete my account.

Yup, TrackIR is a must-have on my simming rig too...and I fly about the same stuff as the OP, small GA and large prop jobs.
    It just slips right into being a natural motion to glance around the cockpit to scan your gauges and out the windscreen. No more fiddling with the number keypad or hat switch to pan the view around...you've got extra finger/thumb time to fiddlw with aircraft controls instead.

Make sure you order the Track IR Pro. It comes with a clip for your headset rather then having to wear a ball cap.

Once you get used to TrackIR you will always fly in the virtual cockpit and you'll never want to fly without it. I've been a TIR user for years, bought my TIR3 Pro when it was the latest model.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

members+
    Fighter Fanatic
    Yes, Track IR is so worth it; as many others have said, I couldn't FS without it anymore. I find when setting a computer up for FS that doesn't have it, I instinctively move my head when testing the game, and then realize they don't have it or have it hooked up yet. :d Having to use the joy hat again is a major bummer. :d

It takes a minute to get used to, but don't be discouraged by that. Once your brain latches onto how it works, it's just second nature. Riding a motorcycle at first is a bit of a brain teaser (wasn't for me, really), but with enough time, the shifting and leaning into turns and the accelerating and braking become absolutely second nature. Just like anything else, TIR will become second nature. :ernae:
    Taildragger Pilot

Keep on Flyin'

Ryzen 5 2600
    RX 580 8GB DDR5 OC Armor
    8 GB DDR4 2400
    Dedicated SSD for Win10
    Dedicated SSD for FSX:SE

Wow, with all these additional positive comments I am definitely getting TrackIR when the next Navy pension check gets here.
    John
    ATC USN Ret

By all means go for it. I watched and waited as the product develop. Finally broke down last year and got it.
    For users of BIG screens, this is what I ened up needing to do. I have the sensor mid screen hanging level at the top taking up just about 1 inch of screen. I then do not have the clip mounted in the bill of the hat but taped on the very top of the hat. I still have to wear the cap slightly further back on my head than normal in order to look way down for those side panels and around my feet.
    I look like a total geek but always have a smile on myself. I have answered the door a few times forgetting the hat and got some strange looks lololol. I have managed to almost puke from vertigo a few times.
    Btw- The LED tv is 42 inches about 4 feet away.