Cargo Haulers - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cargo Haulers

The Shrike was one of the first aircraft I downloaded, and still one of my favourites.
    As a testament to how popular Milton's Shrike is, out of all the repaints I ever did the Shrike one was the most downloaded by far.
    I think GAM is the biggest operator of Aerocommanders in the world (24 500s, 3 680s and 3 690s).
    Attachment 60537
    I never did get those colours quite right - I'll have another go at it one day.

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Two of Milton's birds I haul with mostly FedEx!
    Great shot! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
    The Shrike was one of the first aircraft I downloaded, and still one of my favourites.
    As a testament to how popular Milton's Shrike is, out of all the repaints I ever did the Shrike one was the most downloaded by far.
    I think GAM is the biggest operator of Aerocommanders in the world (24 500s, 3 680s and 3 690s).
    Attachment 60537
    I never did get those colours quite right - I'll have another go at it one day.
    Very interesting Aztec; I did not know about GAM.

The interesting part about the Shike model is that it was built by Paul Saunders, a friend and MP player on the alpha team. As a technical person, he wanted to try his hand at gmax. I sent him the original AC500S I started as reference, helped him along the way, and he delivered the AC500S in fine form. I simply did the FM and coordinated the project. You can see it here:

http://www.flightsimonline.com/Shrike/

Since Paul did this model, I do not have the gmax source and could not do the subsequent updates as I did on the other AC's in the series. This was the only aircraft Paul built and he moved on to other things.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

My First Cargo Project - The Dash 7

I had to go back to FS2002 to get these ...

After the initial Dash 7 project, we did a cargo unit. I had asked several repainters who did paints for the original Dash 7 to provide the skins. Andre Folkers did two that were really impressive (The Dash 7 Team (private) and the British City of London schemes) and he was asked to join the team. Andre did all the original Aero Commander and D18S work as well.

Then I found this Civilian cargo AT-11 that I forgot about. LOL
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Charter Member 2016
    I think I already said this in the relevant topic, but I would Love to see a fictional variant of the Stoof all kitted out for bush cargo... perhaps with skis, too? The thing would be bl**** brilliant hauling cargo in inclement weather, although its shortfield charactaristics might leave something to be desired...
    "Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." - 2 Nephi 31:20

Mormon.org

Not one of Milton's but one I use when I'm hauling a lot of cargo. California Classic's DC-7B in an old freighter paint scheme at the cargo ramp in Memphis 1960. She might look rough, but she's structurally and mechanically sound (new paint is much overrated). This paint scheme was my first old cargo one. Started out as the CalClassics Pan Am "Super 7" which I weathered a bit and then removed all the Pan Am bits to make it look like it had been sold off. Then I added a set of cargo doors on the left side both front and rear. Covered up the original windows, but put in a new set of emergency exits from another 7. Added some new and used skin in various spots and called it done. This one is used when Merc Air is going incognito.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by EMatheson View Post
    I think I already said this in the relevant topic, but I would Love to see a fictional variant of the Stoof all kitted out for bush cargo... perhaps with skis, too? The thing would be bl**** brilliant hauling cargo in inclement weather, although its shortfield charactaristics might leave something to be desired...
    I was just thinking the same thing the other day. The C1A Trader already has a large door in the side, If we could get a model version with the interior seats removed so the cargo area would be available, it would be fantastic. A few boxes in the hold would be great, but even just the seats removed would do....Pretty Please, Milton?

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...fo&FileID=8433

It also works on the cargo variants with floats.... either amphibian or straight floater
    Thanks so much for the link, Willy, but the file seems to be missing. (It's in the old library, which is missing some.) Turns out I do have the file, tho, in my massive, as yet, uninstalled texture folder. If you no longer have the original file you uploaded, I can send it to you to replace in the library.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dirty Dash? -

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    I had to go back to FS2002 to get these ...After the initial Dash 7 project, we did a cargo unit. I had asked several repainters who did paints for the original Dash 7 to provide the skins. Andre Folkers did two that were really impressive (The Dash 7 Team (private) and the British City of London schemes) and he was asked to join the team. Andre did all the original Aero Commander and D18S work as well.Then I found this Civilian cargo AT-11 that I forgot about. LOL
    Ah...now you're talkin Delightful Dash. This and the P-3 are the only turboprop 4's I enjoy.Hypothetically speaking of course but; what exactly determines a 'bushflyer'?Just curious to know whether an aircraft of this size fits into the category....Is it the size?...The pilot? The weight of mud, dust, oil and grime clinging to the airframe.The faded graphics? or scrapes from treetops that come into account?Or is it 'plane' geography? (pun idiotically intended).Ya know, some obscure place in Africa or South America where the cargo in question is being delivered to a bunch of good-guy mercenaries trying to fight a regime.Makes the mind boggle...
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Two of Milton's birds I haul with mostly FedEx!

You just gotta love the Howard 500. Heavy, Fast, a very capable airplane. Nice shot! :salute:

BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Nigel, "Bush Flying" can be thought of in different ways. There's lots of tiny little undeveloped strips with super-short runways that take quite a bit of skill to get in or out of. Then there's the pilots that would consider any man-made strip a luxury:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1PWMKjgr24
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Nigel, "Bush Flying" can be thought of in different ways. There's lots of tiny little undeveloped strips with super-short runways that take quite a bit of skill to get in or out of. Then there's the pilots that would consider any man-made strip a luxury:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1PWMKjgr24
    Or, you have these guys... just another day in the Congo (turn your volume down before clicking the link; the techno Russian ditty night be a little unnerving):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6iLH...eature=related

Note the AN-2's at the end of the runway...

I took a flight with Milton's AC 500 last night... I forgot just how smooth of an airplane it is to fly! I have an earlier version, too (AC500vc1) along with the Howard 500,
    the Beech 18 and his Spartan Executive.

Thanks, Milton for all the sweet airplanes you and your team have created over the years!

Alan :salute:

Charter Member 2016
    "Bush" is a term from the 20th Century British Colonies (various bits of Africa, India, so on) with a meaning equivalent to "wilderness" or "jungle." The basic meaning is any undeveloped land. This does NOT mean virgin, untouched land, but rather un-Westernized land. Thus it means isolated, poorly maintained or neglected areas - or perhaps even including well-maintained "primitive" areas.
    Aircraft considered well suited to "Bush" flying tend to be light, robust, and easily maintained, typically with large cargo capacities (for their class) and good short field performance, mainly because of the various conditions of undeveloped land (such as tight landings and ascents from small areas, rough ground, and long travelling distances).
    Size and construction are thus quite important for bush planes. Smaller aircraft are more likely to possess the needed power-to-weight requirements and short-field performance than larger aircraft. They can also operate off of smaller stores of fuel, so they can be made to travel quite far off of less input. Light composite construction works great for most ordinary flying - and even for some aerobatics - but performs quite poorly in demanding, turbulent environments and does NOT absorb impacts (especially from sharp objects) very well. However, some larger aircraft may be suitable. For instance, a properly handled C-130 works as a good bush-plane (and it's even better with JATO bottles on the back!). However, you will probably Never see an Extra 300 or any tubeliner 600 miles into the Alaskan forest or deep in the jungles of Africa! For very similar sets of reasons, there are not that many helicopters that fly into the bush.
    However, there are some exceptions to all rules. The Russians provide a lot of them. Their Antonovs, Mils, Kamovs, and so on provide some counter examples. Heck, they even have a tube built for bush flying in the form of the Yak 40! There are also a number of other American designs, like the Chinook, Blackhawk, and so on.
    "Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." - 2 Nephi 31:20

Mormon.org

Quote Originally Posted by Astoroth View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing the other day. The C1A Trader already has a large door in the side, If we could get a model version with the interior seats removed so the cargo area would be available, it would be fantastic. A few boxes in the hold would be great, but even just the seats removed would do....Pretty Please, Milton?
    Well, that is a reasonable request.

Now before I hand it over, I want two volunteers to paint it for EDIT: "Bush or any cargo scheme".

The Paint Kit is here: http://www.flightsimonline.com/Grumm...a-paintkit.zip

My apologies to "mgr" for bastardizing his paint scheme on this demo, but the textures will not be released.

Any takers for a paint scheme?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Now before I hand it over, I want two volunteers to paint it for Bush.

My apologies to "mgr" for bastardizing his paint scheme on this demo, but the textures will not be released.

OH Happy Day!! Thank you a million times Milton! This is gonna be great!

That is the older package. Keep it.

This new package does not replace it but gives you 3 new models including the FedEx cargo unit.

http://www.flightsimonline.com/downloads/ac680sv31.zip

Anyone may download this for personal use only.
    Please keep in mind that this is a 5 year old model. The VC gauges are not as clear as the new hi res stuff, but readable.
    Thanks again!

- H52
    A tad high and a tad hot is better than a tad low and a tad slow - H52

Now before I hand it over, I want two volunteers to paint it for EDIT: "Bush or any cargo scheme".

May I also request something 'Plain Jane' with just an N-Number, like it was just picked up from AMARC?

Milton - Thanks for such a timely reply; all of us really appreciate it!

Alan

ooooooh Trader Bush-ops! love it!

this will be nice..!!! i also had the older 680 model, so thanks for posting the "newer" version link..

and really like the FX scheme...would be and ideal feeder aircraft..along side the D-18 ofcourse..

rgds
    t creed

Although I fly Milton's Beech and Commanders in FSX regularly this is another of my favorite bush cargo haulers:

One pilot, 1700 lbs of cargo, full tanks, and she still can get in and out of a 400 ft strip. You just won't get there as fast as some of the others.

Al

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpropfan View Post
    One pilot, 1700 lbs of cargo, full tanks, and she still can get in and out of a 400 ft strip. You just won't get there as fast as some of the others.Al
    ...and when you're done for the day, there's a cold one waiting by the exit stairs. )
    Nice screen shot. Thanks Al.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpropfan View Post
    Although I fly Milton's Beech and Commanders in FSX regularly this is another of my favorite bush cargo haulers:

One pilot, 1700 lbs of cargo, full tanks, and she still can get in and out of a 400 ft strip. You just won't get there as fast as some of the others.

Al
    Beautiful! Love this one! Any more out there like this?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Astoroth View Post
    OH Happy Day!! Thank you a million times Milton! This is gonna be great!
    Yes it is, this is the one I really care about.
    Can the windows be gotten rid of too or is that not possible?
    USMC Retired SEMPER FI:USA-flag:

Quote Originally Posted by Reddog View Post
    Yes it is, this is the one I really care about.
    Can the windows be gotten rid of too or is that not possible?
    I really do not want to do anything that changes the mapping for major body textures. That becomes a project I do not have time for. I have removed all the wire antennas, and if needed, I will throw in some paintable cargo boxes.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Charter Member 2016
    I really do not want to do anything that changes the mapping for major body textures. That becomes a project I do not have time for. I have removed all the wire antennas, and if needed, I will throw in some paintable cargo boxes.
    Thank you very much for your generosity as it is! We certainly don't want to stress you out too much! But yes, if boxes like we find in the Howard or the Beech 18 can be added, that would be just great! I'm trying to relearn what I once knew about repainting for this...

Mormon.org

Quote Originally Posted by EMatheson View Post
    Thank you very much for your generosity as it is! We certainly don't want to stress you out too much! But yes, if boxes like we find in the Howard or the Beech 18 can be added, that would be just great! I'm trying to relearn what I once knew about repainting for this...
    Nothing to do with stress. Lots to do with workload and keeping things simple and consistent. The fuselage map group has a lot of complications that I do not wish to revisit. Way too many hours messing with that across 7 Grumman variants.

EDIT: Added some cargo boxes and net. Still looking for a texture artist for a release texture. Can be very plain ... a base texture.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here