Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Wow....

  1. #1
    Charter Member 2012
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Boynton Beach, Florida
    Age
    46
    Posts
    341

    Wow....

    Has anyone tried the landing challenges? The RV7 landing challenge (#5 I think..) with the ILS down to minimums was very realistic... the weather was dramatically better than FSX - very dense cloud with realistic visibility. I have REX in FSX and FS9 and it isn't even close to this... maybe we have an instrument training winner here! Really it's worth exploring the content in this early version of Flight before giving up on it :salute:

    Attachment 60318Attachment 60319

    Hand flying the RV on instruments was tough. Hard to trim out if you don't know good pitch and power settings for an approach! And the 'peanut gauges' are a bit small - it would be nice to click on an instrument and have a larger, more readable pop up. Second pic shows no ceiling and maybe 400 RVR on landing.

  2. #2
    Charter Member 2012
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    911
    I LOVE the landing challanges. Stearman #4 and #5 are HARD. Havent tried the Vans yet, but that thing is a handfull without crosswind or visibility problems. Sometimes finding the runway is more difficult then landing on it.
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller


  3. #3
    IF MS is going to allow 3rd party developers to build and sell their planes this will be great, as FLIGHT is already better than FSX in the flight dynamics, sounds and looks area.

    Turbulence also is much more realistic, being in the middle between too weak FSX and the way overdone x-plane.

  4. #4
    Ok, I surrender...after seeing this I think I will buy the Vans... Microsoft you've got my money once again. :-(

  5. #5
    Charter Member 2012
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by bstolle View Post
    IF MS is going to allow 3rd party developers to build and sell their planes this will be great, as FLIGHT is already better than FSX in the flight dynamics, sounds and looks area.

    Turbulence also is much more realistic, being in the middle between too weak FSX and the way overdone x-plane.
    Sadly there plans for 3rd party is currently unknown. The most recent bit of news is from an interview that said that MS plans to go at it alone for at least a year, then maybe open things up once demand out-paces there own dev team. Sad. I hope Flight is a big hit, and demand goes WAY past there team quickly as I really want to get the KCFS Seabee into Flight. It just fits in so well!!!

    Read the interview here.

    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/inter...-flight/091961
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller


  6. #6
    Very nice instrument training challenge too in the RV-6 with the Mobile Observatory mission. Fly an astronomer through and above the overcast at 15K feet at night so she can watch ' the biggest astronomical event of all time' . ( pity i didn't get to see it myself or maybe missed it )

    AFAIK the real RV-6 comes in 150, 160 and 180 HP versions, right ? I can't find anything about the engine type in the Flight RV-6A info (typical..) but it says Service Ceiling: 5806m (18.579 feet). So i guess we must have 180HP here. Real thing is Gross Weight SC 19.700 feet but if i hadn't been clever enough to dump most of the fuel before take-off i doubt if i could've reached the 15.000 feet at all... Good engine management got me there though..

    Very nice visual imagery of clouds whizzing by the canopy as i climbed thru the murk. Have to say much better than with FSX...

    Try it, good fun !

    cheers,
    jan ( also known as ButteryBow938.... pfffrrtt )

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Very nice instrument training challenge too in the RV-6 with the Mobile Observatory mission. Fly an astronomer through and above the overcast at 15K feet at night so she can watch ' the biggest astronomical event of all time' . ( pity i didn't get to see it myself or maybe missed it )
    You have to look straight up, and you can see a comet breaking apart.
    You can always re-do any mission, I think you just don't get experience points for it.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Dain Arns View Post
    You have to look straight up, and you can see a comet breaking apart.
    You can always re-do any mission, I think you just don't get experience points for it.
    Ok!

    I was still climbing thru the top of the deck, trying to keep the RV-6 straight, when i heard the astronomer cry out in ecstacy. Then i looked up into the blue but obviously too late... Dang ! :d

    Got more experience with the RV-6 now, even begin to like it while it certainly is not my fav type of aircraft, will certainly have another go. Thanks for the tip, Dain ! :salute:

    cheers,
    jan

  9. #9

    The comet

    This is a good mission.
    Attachment 60462

  10. #10
    Well done, Mikrco !

    Did you use Return to Checkpoint to snap it ?.... I realized later i could've done that but totally forgat about it. The immersion factor is quite high during some of these missions...

    cheers,
    jan

  11. #11
    Found the 'V' Key and where Flight stores the shapshots. This is from a first attempt at Maule Landing Challenge 2 ( Haiku airstrip ). Didn't make it... That's why no landing shots... Sjeeezzz, one begins to wonder if Flight really is ment to be played by kids... They'll need a hell of a lot of FS9/FSX experience...

    The weather, clouds, fog is totally amazing. Notice the scratches on the windshield's perspex. Pretty Lotus like, huh.... Maybe he's on the team...













    cheers,
    jan

  12. #12

    Alright Javis,
    Those are some stunning screenies!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Well done, Mikrco !

    Did you use Return to Checkpoint to snap it ?.... I realized later i could've done that but totally forgat about it. The immersion factor is quite high during some of these missions...

    cheers,
    jan
    No, actually got it on the first run-but admittedly reading the posts here got me ready to look up-I went to spot view after breaking out on top and used the right mouse button to go to pan and there it was. Just hit the V key an viola.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    Alright Javis,
    Those are some stunning screenies!
    Thanks, Mr.P ! And these don't even do half justice of what it looks like in the game of course. I have always taken for granted that we'd probabely never get to experience a realistic rendition of what it's like to fly through clouds, playing our various flightsims... I have to come back on that now... It is quite amazing !


    Cheers,
    Jan

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikrco View Post
    No, actually got it on the first run-but admittedly reading the posts here got me ready to look up-I went to spot view after breaking out on top and used the right mouse button to go to pan and there it was. Just hit the V key an viola.
    Well, my cap is off to you, Mikrco !

    I was having a hard time already to keep that RV-6 from stalling ! Let alone changing to spot view, look for the comet and hit 'V' key... I'll get it some time, i'm sure.

    cheers,
    jan

  16. #16
    Charter Member 2012
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Notice the scratches on the windshield's perspex. Pretty Lotus like, huh.... Maybe he's on the team...

    cheers,
    jan
    Nope. Wasent him.
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller


  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbage View Post
    Nope. Wasent him.
    I bet it was certainly inspired by his work.

    If you know that it wasn't him, you must know who it was, right ?... So, who was it ??.. ( didn't i see your name passing by on the credit list ??.... )

Members who have read this thread: 0

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •