I like it - although it could have been a lot better

Thread: I like it - although it could have been a lot better

I like it - although it could have been a lot better

I've seen a lot of criticism on Flight... and, although I was disappointed, I have to confess that - if you take it for what it is - Flight is not a bad product at all.

It is not for the hardcore simmer - we knew that. There is no AI, ATC, you cannot customize it, it is not backward compatible, etc.etc. etc. - we knew that.
    But it is a nice game - and if all you want to do is a short flight on a Stearman around Hawaii it is actually quite fun.

My main criticism is the lack of content at launch. I do not like (but I understand) the free-to-play strategy, but they should have had more planes ready and different sceneries.

There are some nice and well implemented ideas (i.e. the interactive "checklist" thing, the hangar, etc.), the presentation is quite good and the engine is better than FSX.

So, for me, Flight is here to stay. Well, is here to stay ONLY in the computer I have as multimedia hub in my living room - sitting next to a 360. I am sure I will have fun with it - and I'll probably make some use of the spare Microsoft points I have.

I wished it was FSXI. It is not. It is a different thing - which may be not that good for us simmers - but definitely an interesting effort...and possibly the first general aviation "flight" game that many of my friends may like.

Then, my simulation/development "station" (which is in my "hobby" room) will continue to have FSX and - possibly - Prepar3d.
    Is Flight the "end" of simming? I do'nt know...may be. But hopefully Flight will help our "non-simmers" friends have fun with a flight "simulator" and understand a little that we were not completely crazy spending all that time simming for so many years. :-)

One of the things that got me into flight simming was tinkering, adding my own AI, playing around with scenery and so on. Very amateur in my abilities, but none the less enjoyable. I don't see any of this being possible from what I've read. This looks like a bit of fun, but it will be a parellel game to FSX, not a replacement.

I still can't digest the idea of a flight sim without freeware !!!!!

The thing is, if it's going to bore the hard core flight simmers, surely the none hard core will bore even quicker. Time will tell if MS got the business plan right.

As for freeware... I can't digest that too. And in addition to that, it seems that only "selected" partners will be allowed to cooperate with Microsoft - and Microsoft is taking a large part of the revenues for the add-on.

For one - I think that the Hawaii package is a little overpriced, especially considering that without it the game is quite short on content.

As you said, it is a nice game which will be parallell to and will not replace FSX.
    Let's see. If in a year it will have some nice and varied sceneries, dozens of planes and fun missions, it may be a success. Still, it will be confined in my living room.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Cattaneo View Post
    if you take it for what it is - Flight is not a bad product at all.

It is not for the hardcore simmer - we knew that. There is no AI, ATC, you cannot customize it, it is not backward compatible, etc.etc. etc. - we knew that.
    :mixedsmi::mixedsmi::mixedsmi:

Members who have read this thread: 0