First Development Screenshot (freeware)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Development Screenshot (freeware)

First Development Screenshot (freeware)

It's a good day for flight simmers...

With the release of "Flight", and their middle finger at us 3rd party developers, It's now that we might realize, that FSX is our platform for years to come. So it's time to get to work!

Just a teaser from today. Guess what it is, and why?

Clues to hit the forums eventually.

Details in due time.

It will be freeware

It will feature a versatile paintkit, unlike anything that we have seen yet. (Literally)

Will fill a unique niche.

Cheers,
    Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Charter Member 2011
    its a 4 bladed prop, used to propel planes into the air ... so what do i win?
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Looking at the propeller I think it will be a turbo-prop.

Huub

Worlds most dangerous toothpick?

Blog Entries
    there were three radials that used that prop; the P-61, the f7f, and the f4-u corsair. I believe there may have also been a four bladed spit, and one four bladed p-51.

Even though its still in use today ( more as a carry over ); it was found that four bladed propellers werent as efficient as three bladed propellers and so arent used much if at all on any turbos made from the 60s onward. At least, thats my guess..

It isnt a P-61 because the cone is wrong. I dont know enough about the f7f to say for sure, and i dont remember if a corsair even had a cone to speak of.

Perhaps its a BF-109??
    Pam

Charter Member 2011
    109s had a 3 bladed prop
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Love the idea of a F4-U Corsair :salute:
    You take it easy.. and have a nice day

Its definetly not a corsair or anything like that. I'd say a turboprop of somekind also......not sure what type though.

Even though its still in use today ( more as a carry over ); it was found that four bladed propellers werent as efficient as three bladed propellers and so arent used much if at all on any turbos made from the 60s onward. At least, thats my guess..
    Basically the more blades, the less efficient the prop is as there’s more turbulence from a preceding blade so a two bladed prop is more efficient than a three bladed and there have been a few attempts at single bladed props and rotors.
    However, there’s a limit to how much power you can put through any one blade without it having to be overly large and heavy to absorb it. Plus you have to keep the blade within a certain length to avoid the tip exceeding the speed of sound. Consequently many aircraft use four or more blades to enable them to meet criteria other than absolute blade efficiency, e.g. the Hercules and Hawkeye both of which started with four blades and now have six on the latest versions. Also a lot of commuter aircraft where a lower noise footprint is an advantage use them such as the Dash 8 and the ATR 42.

Beech 1900

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Star Ship by Beech?
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

What: Judging by the size and shape of the props, I would guess some kind of light sport aircraft. It looks a lot like the props and cone on the Icon A5 only with four props instead of 3. Perhaps an experimental design?

Why: Because we like you.
    --Brian

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

The closest thing I can come up with based on the prop-hub length and the square tips is a turboprop....possibly with Rolls-Royce Dart engines...but the angle is weird on the image, so more hints would be great.
    *not happy with my answer either, because the prop looks too thin, especially near the top portion, for my guess to likely be correct.

Suffer

I'm going to have to let you guys suffer a little longer. I will say Killbilly is closest so far.

Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Something like this?

Terrafugia ‘Flying Car’?

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

now thats cool!!!

I really wish someone would do one of these......Attachment 60276

The flying car is a good'n...but no.

And with the exception of landing, I love the Questair Venture, but at least for now, no.

Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Piper cruiser? (formerly czech sport aircraft)

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    ... I believe there may have also been a four bladed spit, and one four bladed p-51...
    Marks VI, VII, VIII, IX (of course), X, XI and XVI Spitfires all had 4-bladed props and P-51s with the Allison 1710 and later versions (so that's P-51B and onwards) all had 4-bladed props.

I have no idea what this prop is, but it's good to hear of more FSX freeware projects developing!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

I was hoping for a C170 , even with a four bladed prop .. But I guess I'm wrong

The design looks rather modern and it must be a constant speed prop, or at least something with variable pitch. I agree it could be a turbo-prop. However the prop spinner looks pretty tiny, makes me think there must be a second engine for some reason!
    Philippe
    Student Pilot

Don't loose faith in the 170

Correct on the two-engine bit.

Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Hmm...
    So..definitely twin engine.
    Will "fill a niche".
    Killbilly is closest with his light sport / experimental designation, but that's "close" so it could still be misleading.

What nationality (or at least region of the world) is the aircraft from?

I was thinking Grob Strato for some reason but that has a 5 blade prop

http://www.google.co.nz/#pq=grob+atm....,cf.osb&cad=b

Concept announced

Good-afternoon!

Okay, I will admit, I was a little deceptive in that first teaser! I did ask, "what" is it, and "why", I didn't state that it had to be a real-world aircraft....So, let's answer those questions right here and now.

Several years ago, a conceptual design was being developed, for the sole purpose of global flight. The idea was to have a general aviation aircraft, a twin, capable of extremely long-distance flight, and a high cruise speed. Many calculations to maximize fuel efficiency, aerodynamics, range, and speed, lead to what we started calling "GR-1", or model 1 of the "Global Racer".

The aircraft never came to fruition.

Now, development has once again started, with the same ideas in mind. However, the standard has been raised. The new goals may not be attainable, but only time will tell.

Very unconventional methods are being derived, which we hope will yield the following performance.

Prospective Specs:
    Length: 50'
    Span: 67'
    Height: 13.5'
    Empty Weight: 3500-4000lbs
    Gross Weight: 7700-8200lbs
    Range: 4,000 Miles at cruise settings
    Powerplant: (2)x OE600 Liquid cooled, Fuel Injected, Turbocharged TRACE V-8, 600hp max each.
    Propellor: (2)x Fully-feathering custom-built Mccauley system, ultra high altitude 4-blade
    Crew: 1
    Cabin: Sophisticated, pressurized
    Top Speed: 340 ktas
    Cruise: 280-300 ktas
    Gear-up stall: 35 ktas
    Gear-down stall: 50 ktas

Sealed boom, and fuselage components, will allow the aircraft the stay afloat in an emergency situation.

Another teaser screen, with bare-bones components in place.
    Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Looks interesting!! Nice to see concepts being brought in the FS world. :salute:

Cheers,
    Hank