Isn't FS the best?

Thread: Isn't FS the best?

Charter Member 2016

Isn't FS the best?

This is just to make a joyous note that after some long time of grimacing and being annoyed at the world of FS, since I did just buy a new rig a couple months ago that still doesn't seem to run FS9 like I want it to, that all of a random sudden, my FPS doubled, so I bumped up my settings to max and... the FPS stayed high. Might have something to do with the fact that I haven't been able to run FS the last couple days. Driving cross-country with the laptop in the back of the truck might have jostled some of the dirt loose. Anyway, I just have to let you know, FS9 is beautiful when it runs right!
    "Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." - 2 Nephi 31:20

Mormon.org

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    I love it. I am so greatful for FS2004. It has become a part of my life.

I remember when it came out, I found that it had tutorials on flying and navigation in it. I did the tutorials and was only hungry for more. Later, I was taking a couple of actual lessons out at the local Cessna flight school. Oddly, when I climbed in the 182, I felt right at home, knew where everything was, and was able to trim the plane and do all that the instructor told me to do without him really having to show me everything. He asked if I had FS, and I said yes. He then told he that was how he was where he was, FS... He had to have more and became an instructor. I think he is probably a Boeing driver now. That was several years ago.

FS is awesome.... Thank you Aces for this awesome sim world.

Thanks EMatheson for bringing this up. I hope your laptop 'gets better'. Its great when the FPS is smoooooth as glass. :d

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

I have to agree as well. In fact I agree so much that soon all I will design brand new planes and scenery for fs 2004 again. Now that we can have almost unlimited polys and from playing around with the scenery files I have found that this is about as good as it gets with out running a multi thousand buck machine. I build for fsx as well, and although the glitter was fun for a while it fades like the pretty lady that is just after your money. When I come back here and see what I can still do, and its still fun after all this time... I don't think I will ever leave fs9. I will still design fro fsx but I'm going to include real up to date models for fs9 as well.

I think we will see a lot more life and new stuff for this sim in the years to come!

Great thread!

Tom
    Cr1-Software, Home of high quality flight simulation Add ons.
    "Let The Good Times Fly"
    Cr1-Software
    www.cr1-software.com

I love FS9....plane and simple (pun intended). It gives me everything I could ask for in a flight sim.....ok, maybe not the box stock FS9...but my heavily tweaked and enhanced 99.99% freeware based FS9 gives me everything I could ask for in a flight sim. It runs perfectly smooth, is not prone to crashes (and those crashes I have experienced have been traced to buggy gauges, effects or plane installs and easily fixed). My tweaked and customized FS9 looks better than stock FSX and does not have that annoying head latency stuff (I like setting my VC zoom and staying there...I don't like being slung back and forth in my plane...sure it's possibly a realistic feature, but I hate it all the same). I have mountains of planes to fly....and the vast majority of them are freeware (I may have 2 dozen payware planes......and most of them only get occasional air time....my favorite fliers are all freeware birds).

Even on my old P4 3.0gig system, FS9 ran smoothly. On my 1-year old home built I7-950 3.06ghz system with modern RAM, modern MOBO, modern vid card....FS9 is as smooth as oiled silk. I can run it in the upper 200 FPS range...but still keep it locked at 25 FPS since my eyes can not tell the difference between 25 FPS and 250 FPS.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I agree. Whenever I return to it after a break I am still surprised at how good it is, and I am still finding new things to enjoy.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Me TOO!!!!!!!!
    There are 2 constants in the universe:
    Hydrogen and stupidity!

I'm in the process of upgrading my Athalon 64 3200 to a Phenom II X4 970 as well as all the other necessities for the sole purpose of running FS9. I have FSX and I might install it, but FS9 provides all the flight simming pleasure I could want. Also, a fair amount of money is saved because I don't need the latest and greatest equipment. For me, it's a win-win situation.

Bob
    CPU: Intel i7-5960X OC 4.5
    MOBO: Asus X99 Deluxe
    RAM: 16GB (4x4) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2800
    GPU: Asus STRIX GeForce GTX980
    PSU: SeaSonic X850
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB (FS9)
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB (FSX)
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
    HDD: WD 7200 Black 1TB
    CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo (white)
    CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

I have FSX Gold Edition, but stay with FS9. Somehow just like it better.
    JohnH_049

A gate on dreams and walk around the world. Very calming trips... (here, L29...)

Sierra Lima Foxtrot, able to take off...

A sort of... Stargate....

FS2004 is wonderful, I will not make the transition to FSX for some time! Anything from warbirds to the heavy metal at great framerates - who could ask for more!
    Attachment 60264
    Attachment 60265Attachment 60266

Members who have read this thread: 0