Thud bare metal repaints

Thread: Thud bare metal repaints

Thud bare metal repaints

Just posted these here and at Flightsim.com.

61-0116 from the 23rd TFW at Takhli. Lost in July 1966, pilot KIA. From a drawing on Wings Palette. The pilot's name is fictional - I couldn't find a record of the actual name.

61-0100 from the 49th TFW, Spangdahlem 1964. Currently displayed at Fort Worth TX.

62-4234 from the 355th TFW, Takhli, summer 1965. Lost December 1968, pilot MIA.

Because the model has the turbine air cooling scoops introduced from 1965 as part of Safety Packet II, following a spate of engine fires in the early 1960's, there is a degree of 'artistic licence' in these paints! Which is why I wasn't going to publish them. Also the paint kit is 'challenging' to work with, the underwing national insignia particularly so, and I wanted to improve them as far as I could. Still I got pursuaded.....!

Hope you enjoy them!

DaveQ

PS - if anyone has any comments on accuracy let me know and I'll do the necessary.
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Thanks, I love the bare metal Thuds.

...well, I searched for them, guess it's too soon for them to be in the system.

Thank you very much. During my tour '69-'70 at Takhli all the thuds wore camo but carried a little nose art and names on the left intake. Unforgettable names some, Memphis Belle, Polish Glider, Bald Eagle, The Ripper and Thor's Hammer. Sadly I lost all my photos in hold baggage coming home.

Nice to have a 355 TFW paint.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Thanks Dave - these are awesome!! I think the 23rd is my favourite ... but they're all nice.

Cheers,

DL

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    Also the paint kit is 'challenging' to work with, the underwing national insignia particularly so, and I wanted to improve them as far as I could.
    Thank for releasing these Dave. I think this is the third example from the 49th at Spangdahlem now.
    A nice colorful scheme for sure. And yea, the paint kit was definitely a challenge for bare metal schemes.
    :ernae:

redriver6
    Quote Originally Posted by JAllen View Post
    Thank you very much. During my tour '69-'70 at Takhli all the thuds wore camo but carried a little nose art and names on the left intake. Unforgettable names some, Memphis Belle, Polish Glider, Bald Eagle, The Ripper and Thor's Hammer. Sadly I lost all my photos in hold baggage coming home.

Nice to have a 355 TFW paint.

Jim
    heres the Polish Glider..

Very nice work Dave.

Is that the Alphasim model?

Taff
    The grass is always greener on the other side...

But, it's just as hard to mow!

Quote Originally Posted by redriver6 View Post
    heres the Polish Glider..
    Nice painting! Got any info on the artist? Any other pictures?
    'Bald Eagle' was wing commander's aircraft, Col. Bottomly, and one night I was shot at while sitting on the 'turtle deck'.

Jim

I think the Polish Glider is available at AVSIM or flightsim.com

I don't recall who did it.

VCN-1

EDIT: I just did a search at both sites and it is not there. I thought sure it was at AVSIM but the files may have been destroyed when the site was hacked.

Quote Originally Posted by rgatkinson View Post
    Very nice work Dave.

Is that the Alphasim model?

Taff
    Yes it is Taff, and thanks for the compliment.

Frank - Sorry, I didn't know you'd done the 49th before. Still, a slightly different interpretation n'est pas?

Dave
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

redriver6
    Quote Originally Posted by JAllen View Post
    Nice painting! Got any info on the artist? Any other pictures?
    'Bald Eagle' was wing commander's aircraft, Col. Bottomly, and one night I was shot at while sitting on the 'turtle deck'.

Jim
    its from an old Squadron Signal 'In Action' book...the art was done by Lou Drendel.

the caption is "F-105D of the 44th TFS, 355th TFW, Takhli RTAB, 1970. The 'Polish Glider' flown by Major Donald Kutyna."

there are quite a few b&w pictures in the book.

How I wish RAZBAM engineers could get that beautiful Wild Weasel 105 flying. I'm not getting any younger. :salute: Can't forget the thunderous explosion of its all or none burner at 7am just as I'm falling into my bunk.

Jim

Icon5

Great repaints....thanks a squillion....

Re artwork.....here's something I painted around '70....
    Attachment 58095

Was a 'first go' at watercolour [poster colour] taken from a little pocket book called 'Fighter aircraft of the world'....

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post

Attachment 58095

Was a 'first go' at watercolour [poster colour] taken from a little pocket book called 'Fighter aircraft of the world'....
    Great "real painting"
    Congratulations
    Italo

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    Frank - Sorry, I didn't know you'd done the 49th before. Still, a slightly different interpretation n'est pas?
    The more the merrier. It's a nice colorful scheme.
    :ernae:

We all say it , " This is my all time favourite " , we can then say this again and again , a little scene i put together just after the Thuds release

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post

Attachment 58095

And thank you Jafo for sharing this with us. I wish I had your artistic talents but this is as far as mine stretches..!

DaveQ

When I did that painting that was THE ONLY image I'd ever seen of the Thud....I think some of its specs were still referred to as 'secret' ... it was small and b/w and I wasn't even sure what I was looking at/painting.... I just liked it's shape.
    Later, when I found it was an area-rule airframe it took me ages to get to like /accept the coke bottle shape....

105 and its not even that time off the day

One for you Jafo