Need some help please.

Thread: Need some help please.

Need some help please.

All of a sudden when I try to fly either "Free flight or "Quick Combat" (Missions are OK) I get the dreaded

"Failed to initialize the data bases. You might need to reinstall this product as some data files are missing or corrupted."

I have well under 100 planes and don't remember adding a new plane recently. Could someone help me solve this problem?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kwb737 View Post
    All of a sudden when I try to fly either "Free flight or "Quick Combat" (Missions are OK) I get the dreaded

"Failed to initialize the data bases. You might need to reinstall this product as some data files are missing or corrupted."

I have well under 100 planes and don't remember adding a new plane recently. Could someone help me solve this problem?
    Thanks.
    sendme your mail , and iŽll send u a utility to fix your problem!
    Hit hard, hit fast, hit where it hurts and keep hitting.

Thanks.
    I found the problem!! I had modified a "Ship" folder the other day and now that I've deleted it the problem has gone away! Whewwww!!!

Quote Originally Posted by misson View Post
    sendme your mail , and iŽll send u a utility to fix your problem!
    My PM has been sent. Thanks

SOH-CM-2017
    Blog Entries
    I found the problem!! I had modified a "Ship" folder the other day and now that I've deleted it the problem has gone away! Whewwww!!!
    In my experience, the ships folder is a major problem in the 'Unable to...' glitch. I still get it in a number of my installs but haven't been able to track it down.

Quote Originally Posted by oldwheat View Post
    In my experience, the ships folder is a major problem in the 'Unable to...' glitch. I still get it in a number of my installs but haven't been able to track it down.
    Newer versions of windows, (read Vista and WIN 7) will not copy and paste empty folders. CFS2 has to have 4 folders in each aircraft and each ship; model, panel, sound, texture. Inside each folder there must be a file. So, in ships there must be a document that says something, anything. The 2 main culprits are the panel and sound folders. I have a txt document in each, panel.txt and sound.txt. That fixes this problem and the problem of Windows NOT copying/pasting empty folders.
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog73 View Post
    Newer versions of windows, (read Vista and WIN 7) will not copy and paste empty folders. CFS2 has to have 4 folders in each aircraft and each ship; model, panel, sound, texture. Inside each folder there must be a file. So, in ships there must be a document that says something, anything. The 2 main culprits are the panel and sound folders. I have a txt document in each, panel.txt and sound.txt. That fixes this problem and the problem of Windows NOT copying/pasting empty folders.
    Thank you Devildog for the info! I wasn't aware of this. Good to know. Always learning.

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildog73 View Post
    Another problem I encountered over the years occurs when one wants to rename a ship or a ship folder.

We all know that ship names are assigned in the ship.cfg first line title=. We can name anything we want our aircrafts in the same spot of the aircraft.cfg file and nothing wrong happens, but if we do the same thing to a ship the name we just changed must match the ship folder name, the ship mdl filename - and consequently the name in model.cfg -, and the damage profile (dp) filename.

So, the ship name must be exactly the same in all of those four locations - folder, model filename, model.cfg, *.dp - otherwise CFS2 will start acting as weird as it can be. Obviously not counting what may happen if that ship name we just changed is called by the sim during a mission, therefore we must also track down possible missions where that ship folder name appears and update them accordingly. By manually editing them, of course, because Mission Builder is another portion of CFS2 that will blow up at your face if there's a discrepancy in the ship folder names.

When I first renamed a ship folder, it took me a couple of weeks figuring out why I went from a perfectly functional air combat simulator to a piece of junk full of bugs in no time!!

Cheers!
    KH
    :ernae:
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

Members who have read this thread: 0