The Heston Phoenix
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Heston Phoenix

The Heston Phoenix

Hello,

After building 22 Auster models for FS2004, Dave Molyneaux, Brian Horsey and myself have decided to do something completely different and are now building other classic British designs. First to emerge is the Heston Phoenix. Not a very well known aeroplane as only six were built, but something a little different than what we have built before.

The Heston Aircraft Company was formed in 1934, after purchasing Comper Aircraft (that of the Swift) and their first design was the Phoenix, a single engined, high wing monoplane with a wooden monocoque fuselage and a plywood clad wooden wing. It was the first British high wing aeroplane to be fitted with a hydraulically operated retractable undercarriage. Only six were built, the last surviving until 1952.

Although the design had five seats, it struggled into the air with more than three and lots of fuel, so please, please read the notes supplied by Dave on how to operate her efficiently!!! Over the last few weeks, I've found her a pleasant aeroplane to fly and look forward to many more excursions touring the UK and Europe. Such a shame that none survive today.

I hope you all enjoy flying her, as much as we did in creating her for you.

Happy Landings,

Martin

File is available from www.britsim.com

Thanks very much for the wonderful addition. One of the joys of simming is being treated to that which no longer exists in the real world anymore, all the more special by being rare when it did. Look forward to an evening cruise.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

wow yeah, thats an oddball, but a good looking one... always wondered about Heston Aircraft for FS.... especially the JC.6

Another interesting aircraft, the JC.6, Matt built to compete for the Air Ministry spec A2/45 as was the Auster A2/45.
    With all these long-forgotten types, the challenge is to find enough of the basic information to make a fair showing of them. This is where Martin comes in with his many contacts in the real light aircraft world here. Afterall, we don't do 'what-ifs' or 'maybes' only ones which actually took to the air (sometimes just).
    Like there's the ill-fated Napier-Heston Racer which only survived one flight.
    However, we've plenty of ideas for future builds - just takes time.
    Cheers
    Dave M(oly)

Thank you! :ernae:

Blog Entries
    Hello Martin,
    Thank you for the heads up on a wonderful classic. And many thanks to you, Dave Molyneaux, Brian Horsey for building such a unique aircraft.

Best regards,
    John

She ought to be a treat to fly. Thanks for the effort!
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

This is one cute flying machine Guys. Having said that, I hope y'all don't mind if I have a little fun with it. I lit her up all right and proper -- well not proper, but she does make a grand entrance now.

Aircraft.cfg Entries: Just hash out (//) any that offend ya too much

[lights]
    //Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing, 6=taxi, 7=recognition,
    8=wing
    light.0 = 3, -1.35, -20.30, 4.05, fx_shockwave_navred_nl,
    light.1 = 3, -1.35, 20.30, 4.05, fx_shockwave_navgre_nl,
    light.2 = 2, -1.35, -20.30, 4.05, fx_shockwave_strobe_l_nl,
    light.3 = 2, -1.35, 20.30, 4.05, fx_shockwave_strobe_l_nl_3,
    light.4 = 4, 1.70, 0.00, 1.45, fx_shockwave_vclight,
    light.5 = 4, 1.70, 0.00, 1.45, fx_shockwave_vclight,
    light.6 = 3, -20.44, 0.00, 0.50, fx_shockwave_navwhi_nl,
    light.7 = 5, 3.05, -13.15, 3.70, fx_shockwave_landing_light_tail_old,
    light.8=1, -3.15, 0.00, 3.70, fx_shockwave_beaconh_lowl
    light.9=1, -2.40, 0.00, -2.10, fx_shockwave_beaconh_lowl //Edit: I omitted the "." after light -- sorry

//----------- Exhaust Bits --------------
    light.10= 3, -3.26, 0.00, -2.55, fx_V12_IDLE_starb,
    light.11= 3, -3.26, 0.00, -2.55, fx_V12_MAX_starb,
    light.12= 3, -3.26, 0.00, -2.55, fx_V12_Exhaust,
    light.13= 3, -3.26, 0.00, -2.55, fx_V12_Exhaust,

Panel Entries: To make the fictious landing light go out upon gear retraction

[Vcockpit01]
    gauge18=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_gear, 1,1,1,1
    gauge19=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_taxi, 1,1,1,1

I also added a bit 'o shine to her, but that is just a personal preference.

For some reason I can't get the upload thingie working, but will see if I can add it later. Or anyone who wants it can PM me with your email address and I'll be happy to send it to you.
    Racartron
    it means something, but I just can't remember what

The guys are wasting no time over at Britsim. 4 new liveries are already posted. Guess that leaves only one more to go seeing only 6 were ever made.
    Racartron

Quote Originally Posted by racartron View Post
    The guys are wasting no time over at Britsim. 4 new liveries are already posted. Guess that leaves only one more to go seeing only 6 were ever made.
    You underestimate young Matt & his imagination!!
    Andy

SOH-CM-2020
    Thanks Martin & Team

This is a little beauty and after a quick fly around this morning I'm really impressed with the detail.

Well done guys.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG43 View Post
    You underestimate young Matt & his imagination!!
    Well, if I can create fictitious lighting then I guess it okay for Matt to do likewise with liveries. Actually my original comment was in hopes that many additional liveries would soon appear on the scene for this deserving beauty.
    Racartron

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    What a sweet little aircraft! Must admit I never heard of it until now...
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Sweet indeed.
    Flies nice and yet requires a bit of attention.
    No nasty habits on initial testing and there are some interesting touches (the manual, pilots notes, odd but appealing opening windows...)

All it needs is a copy of Sheepdog Monthly on the back seat and a couple of fly rods sticking out the cloakroom door and I'd be off to the cottage

Great Job Dave!

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Well i finally bought new joystick, what a pleasure to cruise above english countryside with a new plane and new joystic!

Quote Originally Posted by racartron View Post
    Well, if I can create fictitious lighting then I guess it okay for Matt to do likewise with liveries.
    you might think so, some across the pond may not........:d

Anyhoo, when are we going to get the Wright Flyer festooned with a few MW of Christmas Tree lighting? :costum:

(No relevance, I just always wanted an excuse to use these but that's probably another post)

SOH-CM-2020
    Nice pics Navtech

The yellow one is my favorite

Pete.

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone here (Specifically the OP) would object to me posting the opening images in the FSx forum, so I could make a thread about this awesome little aeroplane? It ports over to FSx really, really well, and handles very nicely. I think it would be good to introduce the Heston to "The Dark Side". I ask as I haven't had the time to create my own screenshots..

Craig. :-)
    Craig Tatley
    No DC-3 without the DC-2

http://www.dc2-fs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SADT View Post
    Hey,

I was wondering if anyone here (Specifically the OP) would object to me posting the opening images in the FSx forum, so I could make a thread about this awesome little aeroplane? It ports over to FSx really, really well, and handles very nicely. I think it would be good to introduce the Heston to "The Dark Side". I ask as I haven't had the time to create my own screenshots..

Craig. :-)
    Craig,

I have no problem at all with you using any of my screenshots. If you need anything else, please by all means PM me.

Cheers,

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by T6flyer View Post
    Craig,

I have no problem at all with you using any of my screenshots. If you need anything else, please by all means PM me.

Cheers,

Martin

Martin,

Thank you very much. Also, thanks for the great aircraft!! I enjoy every minute I fly with the Heston!

Regards,
    Craig.
    Craig Tatley
    No DC-3 without the DC-2

http://www.dc2-fs.com/

Just wondering where I could get the yellow skin for this aircraft?
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

I have tried for a few years to access that site and it keeps coming back with a "Page Cannot Be Displayed" message.... www.britsim.com

It surely is a very unique little airplane tho... from the screen shot I saw posted here... Nice work, chaps!

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    I have tried for a few years to access that site and it keeps coming back with a "Page Cannot Be Displayed" message.... www.britsim.com

It surely is a very unique little airplane tho... from the screen shot I saw posted here... Nice work, chaps!

BB686
    It's available in the flightsim.com library. heston_phoenix.zip
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!