Firefly port-over - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Firefly port-over

Rebuilding the cab files makes a great difference in loading times; I recommend it.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Can someone post the rebuilt cab's and also.....has anyone found the fix for the aircraft with fuel tanks??

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawka4m View Post
    Can someone post the rebuilt cab's and also.....has anyone found the fix for the aircraft with fuel tanks??
    The cab files are over 5 meg so too big to attach to a post. If you read the cab file instructions in the FsX Tweaks sub-forum, the first post tells you how to do it yourself and if I can do it then anyone can, lol! With regard to the tanks I'm not sure how they're supposed to look and I think that may be a model issue.
    SYSTEM :
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler

Firefly FDEs

Here is link to MediFire hosting for MY version of FDEs (zip file) for the Firefly. Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?o8743fsk138mybb .
    I like to dig into the 'provided' (spec) panel later, especially if porting over to FSX, and like to iron out the fde's first. Hope you can use.
    Chuck B
    Napamule

Blog Entries
    Hello all,

Great screenshot Roger! Also, what is meant by rebuilding the cab file? I mean that I know it contains the gauges, but I'm not sure what would be involved. Recompile with other gauges? Thanks.

Keith - will try your fix - sounds very simple - thanks.

Napa, what do you mean by standby panel? Is that the default radio stack in the Cesssnas, etc? Thanks for clarifying.

Good idea about the AH-1 air file. Was hoping to keep it real, but that may be a good way to go. Also, I find that combining a curved approach with a crabbed attitude helped me keep the left side of the runway and it's lights (or the batsman, in the case of the carrier approaches) in view at all times.

Thanks,

dl

Hi dl,
    With the cab files as existing, it take about 15 seconds to load the aircraft. Decompiling (unzipping with 7-zip) and then recompiling with the cab dir tool and replacing the old ones with these and loading the aircraft is instant. There is a stickied thread in FsX tweaks explaining how to.
    SYSTEM :

Standby Panel

DL,
    I have a 'H.J. Altman Jet' panel that I can use for all types of engines in FSX. It came with Harrier download (and can't be found anywhere else-I looked). Everything (gauges) work in FSX. Zip file name is 'harfsx23.zip' (12.8 mb) and found at FSCom file library. Thanks HJ Altman.

I also don't know about any 'recompile' of cab files. Myself, I usually just put the cab file in main panel folder and FSX grabs files from there. Did not try yet as I said (so I don't know ANYTHING about the 'problemo' with panel/gauges).

2 of flaps and 3 of pitch trim is all I need to land at 80 kts or so (with throttle add/take away all the way in). I fly from spot view (use space bar and mouse move to adjust for best view (under plane to see deck/cables). Nothing about me is 'spec' (hehe).
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    PS: the (stupid) MediaFire link works, but you get pop-up ads (sorry). Once you get downloaded you can rename zip to whatever. Sorry about the long (path) name. Messed up.

Hello,

Very nice machine that Firefly!
    Thank you Roger!
    And confirm that the board gauges in cabdir.exe is very positive about the loading time of the device (almost instantaneous!)
    Big thank you to Falcon 409!:salute:

Alain

-

Napamule
    Here is link to MediFire hosting for MY version of FDEs (zip file) for the Firefly. Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?o8743fsk138mybb .
    I like to dig into the 'provided' (spec) panel later, especially if porting over to FSX, and like to iron out the fde's first. Hope you can use.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    Thank's again for your expertize :salute:
    Work fine
    Just a small glitch:
    You let the lights for contact points active (you forget to put // beside all lights strings .. )
    [Lights] //--- FOR CNT PTS ONLY -------
    //Gear
    light.0=1, -17.742, 0.000, -3.590, fx_navred,
    light.1=1, 1.648, -6.257, -7.979, fx_navred,
    light.2=1, 1.648, 6.257, -7.979, fx_navred,
    light.3=1, 0.000, 0.000, 8.000, fx_navgre, //Center
    //light.4=1, -14.000, 0.000, 12.000,
    //
    And the good lights are inactive ..
    //[lights]
    ////Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
    //light.0 =4, -0.280000, 0.000000, 0.640000, fx_vclight_blanc
    ////light.1 =4 ,-1.70000, 4.800000, 1.000000,fx_vclight_blanc
    //
    So .. easy to correct by users ...

Hi,

I found a abscense the needle of the voltmeter!
    on-line:

[Vcockpit01]
    gauge10 = ST_Firefly! voltmeter, 814,307,89,89
    change:
    gauge10 = ST_Firefly! volt, 814,307,89,89:

Alain

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Hello all,

Great screenshot Roger! Also, what is meant by rebuilding the cab file? I mean that I know it contains the gauges, but I'm not sure what would be involved. Recompile with other gauges? Thanks.
    Make two new folders on your desktop the same name as the two CAB files in the gauges folder. Use something like 7Zip to extract the 2 cab files onto their own folders. Then navigate to the Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK folder (if you have it installed) and find cabdir in the Simobject creation kit. Just drag and drop the folders onto the cabdir.exe and it will create new CAB files on your desktop.

Replace the old FS9 cab files (still in the Firefly folder) with these 2 new FSX compiled CAB files.

Ooops

NavTec,
    Your found me out. That is how I check cnt pt placement for accuracy, etc. Since the light section is used for cnt pts only, I have to comment out the 'regular' lights section so they don't conflict. But I forgot to reverse the temp tweak. Good eye. You might find that the model has nav lights built in, and those will show 'through' no matter what you do to lights section. (Tells me the model is 'part' CFS3 or other sim? I guess).

I see some work being done for the panel. I will hang around for that part. Otherwise I am out of here. Cheers. And yes, IT'S A FANTASTIC LOOKING MODEL. Makes my mouth water. I envy those guys that can do models and repaints.
    Chuck B
    Napamule

Quote Originally Posted by OleBoy View Post
    Thanks for the eads up, Roger. I was following this like a hawk when I was running FS9. A HUGE venture for Doug to take on. He was doing well last I read in the thread not too awful long ago. This is excellent to see it finally come to life!

Thank,,,,,,,,You,,,,,,DOUG!!!! :ernae:
    You are very welcome my friend.

D

Quote Originally Posted by napamule View Post
    I went and used my standby panel and got rid of tone. Also can 'see' flaps and pitch trim (vital for traps) on 2D panel view. Tweaked the cfg file, used my A-1H air file and I got it going. So I made a video for now. Will see about FDEs 'tamale' because it's late already. Here is the video Link: http://youtu.be/wzgyqU00R8E. It shows 2 traps I only installed the MK.6 Canadian skin. Cheers.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    For now I guess I can share the 'tailhook' settings: cfg and air needs LOTS of tweaking. I'm not done with it but it's 90%.

[tailhook] //--- mod by c:b ('Napamule'), for Fairy Firefly, 11Dec22 ---
    tailhook_length= 0.6000
    tailhook_position=-24.000, 0.000, -0.600
    cable_force_adjust= 2.200

Can't wait to try it out, let me know if you need any tech data from my research.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by napamule View Post
    NavTec,. You might find that the model has nav lights built in, and those will show 'through' no matter what you do to lights section. (Tells me the model is 'part' CFS3 or other sim? I guess).
    Napamule
    No I modeled everything from scratch, and those lights are built in Gmax. It's the only way I could get the lights to follow the wings as they fold, so they had to be a part of the model.

Doug

Blog Entries
    OK - got the cabs rebuilt (thanks Roger and Darren!) - check.

New FDE - check (flies a fair bit better). Thanks Napa!

Radio tone - gone (yay!)

Cold start - no can do. I can't get mag 2 to stay on, and the coil and starter buttons don't work. Am I missing something? So too, the Master switch is always on. Again, something I missed somewhere?

thanks!

This could well be a port-over issue. I don't think we should expect too much from a ported aircraft in a sim where it doesn't really belong. I'm just happy to have a great looking Firefly
    SYSTEM :

Blog Entries
    Aye indeed, and fair enough, Roger.

I just wanted to ensure I wasn't overlooking anything. I'm struggling cold starting another new addon (proper FSX), so I always assume initially that stuff works, and that my issue is "operator" related.

Your prop fix is the bomb, by the way - just love it! And your first screen is the RN model's thumbnail in my system.

cheers,

dl

EDIT: radio tone has come back - I have no idea what I did to rid myself of it before, nor what to do about it. I want to keep the original panel, so another or generic panel is not an option. Anyone cure this?

Also, my VOR gauge doesn't work - I don't think it worked pre-Cab rebuild either ... thoughts?

I hope these are simple fixes for an otherwise superb model.

Tone Back-No Switch?

DL,
    Well the tone switch has to be there in order to turn tone off. When you have radios with 'Audio.1=0' then there is no 'switch' to turn it off (because it don't exist-get it?). Change it to 'Audio.1=1' and you will be able to switch it off at the radio panel. If you don't 'see' a physical switch then do key commands (Ctrl+x) (x=1, 2, 3, 4, 5, for VOR1, VOR2, MKR, DME, ADF). I go ahead and prevent these kind of things happening with '3rd' party panels by enabling ALL the RADIOS features (doesn't 'hurt' anything). The correct/optimal section is below:

[Radios] //All features enabled, so radios 'work' in/on/for '2nd party' panels.
    // Radio Type=availiable, standby frequency, has glide slope
    Audio.1=1
    Com.1= 1, 1
    Com.2= 1, 1
    Nav.1= 1, 1, 1
    Nav.2= 1, 1, 0
    Adf.1=1
    Transponder.1=1
    Marker.1=1
    //
    Cheers
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Thanks Dev one and DarrenL got the gauges to appear and will redo the cab files.:ernae:

Roger, that's a stunning shot. Thanks.

is there a fix for the textures on the fuel tanks version yet?

Can someone post the cab files as I've tried to do it twice with no luck.

Can someone post the cab files as I've tried to do it twice with no luck.
    Check pms re cab files.

Regarding the tank: I think the material in the model is transparent whereas at least in FsX it should be reflective as evidently it shold show as chrome.
    SYSTEM :

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Check the Fs2004 Firefly thread; Fnerg uploaded the missing textures of that model which fixes the transparency issue with the search light pod (At least it does in the Fs9 version).
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Firefly FDEs V2

Wel gang. I had a late session which yielded results. I think you will like how the Firefly MK.6 handles now. I made seperate FDEs for FS9 and FSX. The FSX seem 'sluggish'. Will look into that. The FS9 FDE are very good. No more running off the left edge of runway on take off. No need for negative pitch trim to fly level. Generally it is an improvement (99%?). You be the judge. I uploaded to Media Fire file hosting, and you may get a popup, or adverts, but that pays the rent, so hope it's ok. Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?x5455cbev8mr5n7 .
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    PS: I will also post at FS9 thread. Happy New Year.

Up Close Pics

Can't say this is not a bump, but it's more like some interesting pics of Firefly details-close ups.