Firefly port-over - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Firefly port-over

Blog Entries
    Thanks Napa, AH, Doug, et al.

The latest (AH) air + cfg files, and the radio fix now make the model a full 10/10 in FSX. Everything I can tell works fine - nice approach speed onto the boat at 90 kts, no flap weirdness - just fantastic. Thanks to all - this and Rob's Sea Vampire are the Christmas freeware treats of 2011.

Merry Christmas to all, especially Doug - here's to the lovely two-hole Fairey with a lovely Rolls Royce up front ...

DL

Blog Entries
    Been flying carrier approaches and landings last night - lots of fun!

Two questions:

1) Is there a way to attenuate the rather pronounced bounce on landing? Doug indicated the real aircraft did not have this, and I don't recall it doing so when flying with his original air/FDE settings.

2) Any hope of getting some night lighting in the cockpit? It's pitch black in there at night ...

A firm keeper - thanks again Doug and all.

DL

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Been flying carrier approaches and landings last night - lots of fun!

Two questions:

1) Is there a way to attenuate the rather pronounced bounce on landing? Doug indicated the real aircraft did not have this, and I don't recall it doing so when flying with his original air/FDE settings.

2) Any hope of getting some night lighting in the cockpit? It's pitch black in there at night ...

A firm keeper - thanks again Doug and all.

DL
    Don't know about the bounce but for the vc lighting Change the lights to:

[lights]
    //Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
    light.0 =4, -0.280000, 0.000000, 0.640000, fx_vclightwhite
    //light.1 =4 ,-1.70000, 4.800000, 1.000000,fx_vclightwhite

Then you will have the default FsX vc lights enabled.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Don't know about the bounce but for the vc lighting Change the lights to:

[lights]
    light.0 =4, -0.280000, 0.000000, 0.640000, fx_vclightwhite

Then you will have the default FsX vc lights enabled.
    Thanks Roger,

For some reason, the cockpit is still completely dark, and have verified I indeed have the appropriate default fx in question ... weird.

dl

EDIT-typo in the light strings above. Should read

[lights]
    light.0 =4, -0.280000, 0.000000, 0.640000, fx_vclightwhi

note - in FSX, the default effect name doesn't have the "te" in white - all good now.

Could someone please upload the newest FDE please the link is now dead! Thanks.
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

Newest FDE?

Well, the problem is I posted link to ('ver 1.0') FDE's at MEDIAFIRE (zip) Dec 22 in FS9 forum and later (Dec 25) posted updated FDE's ('ver 1.1) at MediaFire (zip) in FSX forum. The Dec 25 was MY 'newest' FDE (and the last one posted I do believe). Things happen too fast even for me doing only one thing (hehe). So I went and gathered all the info in both forums and am posting them all here. Only way to clarify, I guess. (Using lots of bandwidth, but don't worry, I will pitch in ($) in a few days to help out.)

Firefly, 'roger' Prop and glass fix, Dec 21, 2011 (SOH FSX forum), Link:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post660214

Firefly, My VIDEO SHOWING OFF FDEs, YouTube Link:http://youtu.be/wzgyqU00R8E. Dec 22, 2011, (SOH FSX forum), Link:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post660482
    Also provided (tailhook) that works good in this post.

Firefly, My (cb) 1st ver of FDEs, Dec 22, 2011 at SOH FSX forum Link to file: http://www.mediafire.com/?o8743fsk138mybb .
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post660646

Firefly, 'bazaar' fdes, Dec 24, 2011, SOH FS9 Forum (#78) Link:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post661374

Firefly , MY (cb) fdes, Dec 25, 2011, SOH FS9 Forum (# ) FDE zip at MediaFire: http://www.mediafire.com/?x5455cbev8mr5n7 .Link:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post661683

Firefly, My (cb) fdes, Dec 25, 2011, SOH FSX Forum (#49), at MediaFire (link: http://www.mediafire.com/?x5455cbev8mr5n7 ). Forum Link: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post661679

Chuck B
    Napamule

Prop and glass

hi i was wondering if anyone had the prop and glass texture fixes i cant seem to find them

Quote Originally Posted by weeebbz View Post
    hi i was wondering if anyone had the prop and glass texture fixes i cant seem to find them
    These should be the right ones...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    SYSTEM :
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    These should be the right ones...
    Are these in the library yet?

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Are these in the library yet?

Cees
    Cees, I've reattached the textures to the post above.
    SYSTEM :

Thank you very much Roger!

Cees

SOH-CM-2017

Air file

The new air file appears to be an exe. file and will not load.
    Does anyone have the real air file?

SOH-CM-2017

Air File

Belay the last pipe. It appears that all air files are installer files; my mistake.
    The aircraft is beautiful but it handles very poorly. Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by youngharry View Post
    Belay the last pipe. It appears that all air files are installer files; my mistake.
    The aircraft is beautiful but it handles very poorly. Shame.
    an 'air' file is not an installer or exe. To replace one with another simply rename the old to something like from 'plane.air' to 'plane.old' and copy the new file to the same folder as the original...

SOH-CM-2017

Air File

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    an 'air' file is not an installer or exe. To replace one with another simply rename the old to something like from 'plane.air' to 'plane.old' and copy the new file to the same folder as the original...
    Tried that and nothing seemed to change. The aircraft I am using is Doug Smith's Fairey Firefly and the present Air file is not good.
    I replaced it with the Air file from A. Scrub's Firefly ( his Plane flies really well ) but nothing changed.

Air File Change

If you change the air file and the (new) name is not the same (as the old) name (dah...it CAN'T be the same) then for the New air file to 'take' you must change the air file NAME in cfg (ie: sim=xxxx.air). You also have to reload your default flight (C-172 ? I hope) and then re-load your airplane for the change to 'take'. Also, usually the New air file will have it's own aircraft.cfg and are paired up ON PURPOSE so that 'things' match. IOW you shouldn't use the Old cfg with the New air file. Might not work. Or at least your airplane won't fly the same as it would if you use the NEW cfg with the NEW air file. Just one of those things. Not everything is inter-changeable.
    Chuck B
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2017

Air File

Quote Originally Posted by napamule View Post
    If you change the air file and the (new) name is not the same (as the old) name (dah...it CAN'T be the same) then for the New air file to 'take' you must change the air file NAME in cfg (ie: sim=xxxx.air). You also have to reload your default flight (C-172 ? I hope) and then re-load your airplane for the change to 'take'. Also, usually the New air file will have it's own aircraft.cfg and are paired up ON PURPOSE so that 'things' match. IOW you shouldn't use the Old cfg with the New air file. Might not work. Or at least your airplane won't fly the same as it would if you use the NEW cfg with the NEW air file. Just one of those things. Not everything is inter-changeable.
    Chuck B
    Thanks mate, all information is welcomed.
    I have already changed the sim name in the config but I noticed in all other aircraft configs that there does not seem to be .air added to the sim=xxx.
    However, I have tried both and the flight characteristics still do not match those of the donor aircraft. You are right about the need for a purpose built config. Doug Smith did post a new air file and a corresponding config but they do not seem to change flight characteristics either.
    I shall keep pushing buttons and changing things and something might happen. Will keep the forum posted. Remember, though, slight tapping is always permissible.

Tried that and nothing seemed to change. The aircraft I am using is Doug Smith's Fairey Firefly and the present Air file is not good.
    I replaced it with the Air file from A. Scrub's Firefly ( his Plane flies really well ) but nothing changed.
    OK...to elaborate...

You have an air file you don't like...say "plane.air".
    Rename it to "plane.old".
    You have an air file you want to use instead...say "plane2.air".
    Copy "plane2.air" to the aircraft folder where "plane.old" is.
    Rename "plane2.air" to "plane.air" [no quotes obviously]
    Reload the aircraft and it will now use this new "plane.air".
    There will therefore be no reason or need to alter its reference in "aircraft.cfg".
    Obviously results will vary as the "aircraft.cfg" details were always specific to the original "air" file included with the aircraft. Tweaks to "aircraft.cfg" will likely be necessary to get more satisfactory FDE...

Re-Name is Not Always Wise

Why? Because 'plane.air' might have been turbo prop (type 5) and 'plane2.air' might be jet (type 1). You need certain sections in the air file for a turbo prop and certain sections for jet engines. Turbo prop has a prop. Jet engines do not. That is just for starters.
    Chuck B
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

Why? Because 'plane.air' might have been turbo prop (type 5) and 'plane2.air' might be jet (type 1). You need certain sections in the air file for a turbo prop and certain sections for jet engines. Turbo prop has a prop. Jet engines do not. That is just for starters.
    Chuck B
    One assumes the slightest amount of logic....that you aren't trying to replace the air file from an a380 with one from a Sopwith Camel.
    Assuming the having of half a brain one would be trying to replace like with like....something closer to SE5 with Camel rather than bicycle with Kenworth...

We Don't Need No Stinking LOGIC

Logic? What? There is no logic in flight simulator. It's all SCIENCE and FACTS. No mombo-jumbo. The problem is that simmers will be switching air files without 'classifying' them first (ie: as far as engine, weight, etc. is concerned). I suspect some even try switching aircraft config file without LOOKING at what is involved or doing any edits. You have a bad flying ac so you switch air files. Done. (WRONG!).
    Chuck B
    Edit: Next thing you know you will be telling me that all of the DEFAULT air files HAVE to be 'perfect' and can be used with other aircraft. Wrong again. The default air files are not even 'perfect' for the default aircraft themselfs. You kidding me!!

Logic? What? There is no logic in flight simulator. It's all SCIENCE and FACTS. No mombo-jumbo. The problem is that simmers will be switching air files without 'classifying' them first (ie: as far as engine, weight, etc. is concerned). I suspect some even try switching aircraft config file without LOOKING at what is involved or doing any edits. You have a bad flying ac so you switch air files. Done. (WRONG!).
    Chuck B
    Edit: Next thing you know you will be telling me that all of the DEFAULT air files HAVE to be 'perfect' and can be used with other aircraft. Wrong again. The default air files are not even 'perfect' for the default aircraft themselfs. You kidding me!!
    Glad you know what I'll be telling you next...because I certainly don't.
    I doubt you'd listen anyway as you clearly have not so far.
    I simply told someone HOW to swap an air file by renaming it. I neither alluded to nor cared one iota whether what he wanted to use was better...worse...or anything in between.

I'm talking simple FILE MANAGEMENT and that an 'air' file is NOT an 'executable'.
    All else is your tangent, not mine...

SOH-CM-2017

Air File

Thanks Jafo, your information was spot on and I do not know what that other bloke is getting upset about.
    Your method worked and I am pleased with the operation of my Fairey Firefly.
    I owe you a beer but I think we will keep it to ourselves.

Logic? What? There is no logic in flight simulator. It's all SCIENCE and FACTS.
    You keep using the word logic. I don't think it means what you think it means.

Thanks Jafo, your information was spot on and I do not know what that other bloke is getting upset about.
    Your method worked and I am pleased with the operation of my Fairey Firefly.
    I owe you a beer but I think we will keep it to ourselves.
    Glad to help...