C-27J Spartan
Page 1 of 10 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: C-27J Spartan

C-27J Spartan

I just got the IRIS C-27J Spartan....great plane at a great price. I think my question has been asked in a previous thread, but I can't find it. Soooo here goes. I am a "jump in and fly" type of virtual pilot...."we don't need no stinkin' checklist". Well, this does not seem to work with the C-27J...it is the real thing. Is there a way to get this plane is the air without going through the whole Section 4 of the manual. I know it's real life, but I am only a pretend pilot. So I only want to pretend using the checklist.
    John
    ATC USN Ret

Blog Entries
    in front of the throttle levers on the center console is the gust lock lever. Move that forward to bring up the options menu and left click on autostart.. That should get you up and running.. to turn other features off, right click on them..
    Barring the autostart, Go to the overhead and start the APU. when the APUs readout displays stable voltages, move down to the engine start up switches and turn them to start. hit the start switches and it should kick over..
    Hope this helps..
    Pam

ps. this page may help a little bit.. http://www.flightsim.com/main/review/c27jspar.htm

Charter Member 2012
    The manual does explain it all.

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    in front of the throttle levers on the center console is the gust lock lever. Move that forward to bring up the options menu and left click on autostart.. That should get you up and running.. to turn other features off, right click on them..
    Barring the autostart, Go to the overhead and start the APU. when the APUs readout displays stable voltages, move down to the engine start up switches and turn them to start. hit the start switches and it should kick over..
    Hope this helps..
    Pam

ps. this page may help a little bit.. http://www.flightsim.com/main/review/c27jspar.htm
    Tried this and still no engine start. I think I'll reload and try again.
    John
    ATC USN Ret

Quote Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
    The manual does explain it all.
    Tried to start using the manual and still no engine start. After reload the whole package I'll try again.
    John
    ATC USN Ret

Icon5

Just picked up the C-27. I have wanted this for some time. Thanks again Iris for the great present. To all at Iris and here on Sim-outhouse have a great holiday.

Charter Member 2012
    If in doubt i cheat. I pres Y to slew and then use Q to jump me up a 1000ft then press Y again to get out of slew mode - then aircraft usually auto start better than using control+C

I just bought this one, too. I haven't loaded it yet, but I read the manual and was shocked to see it says to turn my realism settings to "easy." Is that really the case? I don't want to have to switch my realism settings every time I fly this plane and then switch back to fly anything else! Is there a workaround? Has anyone done a custom FDE for this that will work with realism settings at full? It's too nice a model to sit unused in my hangar because of a wierd requirement like that.
    --Brian

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Okay, well now, I have deleted and reloaded the C-27J. And no matter if I use the checklist or the autostart, I can't get the &%##@!~%* engines to start. What the %$#& is going on??? I like this airplane and do so want to "fly" it...but is it worth the trouble ??? Has anyone else had this problem ?
    John
    ATC USN Ret

Quote Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
    If in doubt i cheat. I pres Y to slew and then use Q to jump me up a 1000ft then press Y again to get out of slew mode - then aircraft usually auto start better than using control+C
    Wow, I didn't know I could do this. It works as you say and I can fly this thing. But for something that I paid real money (okay, on sale at a good discount) I don't think that we should have to "cheat" to fly it. I'll try to fly this plane in a realistic fashion for awhile. But if I can't get it to fly right, then it will be stored in the back of my hangar. I'm quite disappointed with IRIS on this one.
    John
    ATC USN Ret

I just figured it out! On the overhead control panel, after the APU is running, the switches on the bus bar on the fuel control panel must be turned on. As soon as I did that, the engines turned over and started. They would not even attempt to turn until at least one fuel line was opened. for each engine.

Don't know if this is covered in the manual, as I am also one of those who wants to jump in and go, at least for the first flight. I'll read later.

Don
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Blog Entries
    I climb in and open up the knee pad, click on autostart close the knee pad, then go to the overhead; start the APU and wait till it dispays 100 in the right window, then go to the starter knobs just below the APU and turn them to start..

I bought this today too and it is frustratign to get started. I finally gave in and printed the manual. Defintely not as easy as their F-22, but a nice looking model nonetheless. Now to run it through it's paces. Will be nice to fly it around the newly released NZ South Island and Antartica X.

So do you really have to set your sliders to easy?
    --Brian

Blog Entries
    no.. its not as difficult as it appears ( unless you do it from cold start )..

1. Push the gust lock forward to open the kneepad
    2. on the knee pad, left click on autostart
    3. return the gust lock to its normal position and close the knee pad.
    4. on the left center overhead locate the apu switch and right or left click on it till it clicks two places up to "start"
    5. wait for the two windows to the left of the apu start switch to display their full values.
    6. move directly down below the apu start switch to the engine start knobs
    7. click on each engine start knob till it rests in the start position..
    8. breathe and relax. it takes a few seconds for the turbines to wind up..
    The plane will lurch as the props spin up.. make sure to keep your parking brake on..

Pam

Humm !!!!
    Thanks for these infos !

One thing sure, I will not buy this 48 Us$ payware beauty until Iris Simulations
    include a patch and/or and update including a super "easy to use / user friendly"
    automatic start ready to roll option.

The vast majority of Flightsimmers are not "hardcore full reality" PC Flyers but
    mostly of the "weekend citizen PC flyer type" !

I was thinking buying this FSX C-27J Spartan for December 24th Christmas but my
    choice will now go for the Milviz T-38A Talon.

It could be interesting to have a word from Iris Simulations people about it !
    :mixedsmi:
    VaporZ

Quote Originally Posted by VaporZ View Post
    Humm !!!!
    Thanks for these infos !

One thing sure, I will not buy this 48 Us$ payware beauty until Iris Simulations
    include a patch and/or and update including a super "easy to use / user friendly"
    automatic start ready to roll option.

The vast majority of Flightsimmers are not "hardcore full reality" PC Flyers but
    mostly of the "weekend citizen PC flyer type" !

I was thinking buying this FSX C-27J Spartan for December 24th Christmas but my
    choice will now go for the Milviz T-38A Talon.

It could be interesting to have a word from Iris Simulations people about it !
    :mixedsmi:
    VaporZ
    Vaporz - Just so you are aware...IRIS is having a sale and you can get this payware beauty for $10 US! Based on that you might want to reconsider....just saying. Thanks to David B. (hope he is recovering well from his latest surgery...I know how that is the pits) and IRIS for making this plane available at a discount. Happy Holidays to all!
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

4. on the left center overhead locate the apu switch and right or left click on it till it clicks two places up to "start"
    5. wait for the two windows to the left of the apu start switch to display their full values.
    The plane will lurch as the props spin up.. make sure to keep your parking brake on..

Pam
    I don't mind a difficult, realistic start -- in fact, I like when any sort of realistic systems are included. I want to know about the plane's performance in the air. The manual states that the plane will be too responsive and unstable if the realism isn't set to "easy." That's what's keeping me from installing. I will go through the startup checklist, but I won't switch my settings every time I load a plane just to get a decent flight performance.
    --Brian

Pam
    Pam,

This is exactly the way I tried to start up. Everything worked great thru step 7.
    Step 8 was the problem. The props would not unlock from full feather, and the turbines would not wind up. Even the sound stayed on the APU, no turbine windup, UNTIL...
    I zoomed in to read the bus bar,(fuel control board) and saw all switches were off (closed) so no fuel was going to either engine. (My default setup is all fuel tanks feeding, engine running, ready to take-off.)
    As soon as I clicked on one of the switches on the fuel board, feeding fuel to engine, the prop unfeathered and started to spin, including windup sound. Definite lurch when ignition kicked in. Before starting #2, I turned on fuel, then hit start switch, and #2 started spin up as in your instructions.

For some reason, it seems the start switch is powered through the fuel feed board. (Perhaps to prevent dry spin??) However, this is not automated in auto start.

After reading through the manual, the fuel board setup is covered in the pre-start, immediately after starting the APU.
    Perhaps you still have a test model, and something was changed in the final release?
    Either way, this is what worked for me.

Did not get to complete the flight, as my controller was acting up and the sim locked up, and it was bedtime. Will try again after defragging,(had added a bunch of scenery and planes/textures just before trying the C-27J.)( not blaming the problems on the aircraft!!)
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Blog Entries
    I DO have the original development model of the alenia, but the VC doesnt exist ( i used a VC from a CJ ) and the flight model sits up, barks and does all kinds of tricks, right when you dont want it too..
    Somehow though, i'm not surprised that we both do the same exact thing, except that you have one more step than i do. According to the manual, and experience in the past, all you should have to do is hit "autostart" and the plane did everything the way it was supposed too.. Over time, something has changed that. Something is interfering with the autostart routines, and you and I and others are seeing the result of that through having similar yet widely varied experiences..
    FSX hasnt been updated since SP2/Accel, so something else is interfering.
    I admit, I loved building this flight model. The C-27 is the perfect twin engined bush plane. it can go anywhere and do anything. I've really badly wanted to extol upon its virtues, but, i work here, at SOH, and it wouldnt be fair to the other developers. Because of that, they can advertise. I cant! And i wont. But, I'll start looking into possibilities of what could be interfering and see if i find anything. To be honest, i havent got a clue where to start, but i'll find it.. Somehow..
    Pam

By the way. Do you possibly use FSUIPC?? I use the free unregistered version...

By the way. Do you possibly use FSUIPC?? I use the free unregistered version...
    Yes, I have FSUIPC, registered version. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to really learn how to use it. Still haven't been able to get my controls set up in it.

My OS is Win7 Home Premium, run in AMD environment. If that helps.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Blog Entries
    no worries.. Just did a test after renaming all the fsuipc files. To Mr Dowsons credit, it isnt FSUIPC.. Would have been nice if it was.. Easy and taken care of quickly, but,, oh well.. I run windows 7 ultimate, Intel Core 2 Quad cpu.. I dont think its machine based.. I'll be ripping out my appdata/microsoft/fsx files next. at least there i might get to where i can pinpoint the file thats calling the problem routine and that will help a lot.. And could you do me a favor.. After the engines start, let off the parking brake and hit ctl-F2 and see if your plane goes backwards. it should ( i made sure of that ). When i try it, i get a hydraulic failure warning on the annunciator.

I bought this plane last nite and was unable to get it to fire up....it would half ass run on engine one and spool up and down..... engine two would not fire up no matter what i did......I will try modeir`s method to see if it works.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Killbilly View Post
    I don't mind a difficult, realistic start -- in fact, I like when any sort of realistic systems are included. I want to know about the plane's performance in the air. The manual states that the plane will be too responsive and unstable if the realism isn't set to "easy." That's what's keeping me from installing. I will go through the startup checklist, but I won't switch my settings every time I load a plane just to get a decent flight performance.
    Hey kill.. i think youve been around flight sim long enough you dont need training wheels.. You know that a joystick isnt a hand pump.. That said, the pitch and roll rate a a tiny bit more responsive than a 737s. The trim is also a tiny bit more responsive as well ( which is something i want to work on anyway.. I like smooth exact control in my planes ). Basically, its a classic JFTC flight model. It has my name on it ( and you dont know how important that is to me ). Its very stable, yet responsive. you can duplicate the RL Alenia demo flight with no problems.. it DOES demand a bit of experience and confidence behind the yoke, but, theres no way you would ever need to put it on the easy setting unless you just bought your first copy of flight sim and this was your first plane ( which, you didnt and it isnt ). The plane does exactly what you want it to do. Outside of the P-61 we're developing here, its one of the easiest to fly and most comfortable planes i've ever flown or developed. Use smooth actions on the stick throttles and speed brakes and you will find this to be an extremely honest and enjoyable plane to fly.. Now, i DO have to qualify myself here. As you know, experience makes a great bit of difference, even in this hobby. I've got over 2000 hours in the P-61 alone, and ive been creating fsx flight models since its initial release. I lost count of how long ive been in the cockpit, and i've flown everything from single engine old timers to up flying vfr through fog and clouds in an A340-600 ( and not only survived, but landed it on the center line at the right airport ). What i'm saying I guess is that, my perception of whats easy and what isnt, is skewed by all that time in the cockpit, but even taking that into account, i dont think you'll have a problem at all on maximum settings ( which is where i keep mine ).. Pam PS.. If you find that for yourself, anything ive said above isnt true, you let me know. I'll work with you to make it exactly what you want.. Thats how confident i am of it..

Quote Originally Posted by modelr View Post
    I just figured it out! On the overhead control panel, after the APU is running, the switches on the bus bar on the fuel control panel must be turned on. As soon as I did that, the engines turned over and started. They would not even attempt to turn until at least one fuel line was opened. for each engine.

Don't know if this is covered in the manual, as I am also one of those who wants to jump in and go, at least for the first flight. I'll read later.

Don
    I'm flying....I'm flying!!! It does make sense, engines gotta have fuel. So I do all the steps Pam gave us (many thanx, Pam), switch on the fuel...engines start. It's easy now. So I took off from Dillingham and crashed into the sea a short time later (do to watching a movie while inflight).

Thanks Don & Pam :salute:
    John
    ATC USN Ret