A Lockheed "Rounder" - Page 108
Page 108 of 112 FirstFirst ... 85898100101102103104105106107108109110111112 LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 2790

Thread: A Lockheed "Rounder"

Quote Originally Posted by Maty12 View Post
    It really doesn't bother me as it is, but I have no clue what it's supposed to look like in real life. Also, sorry for not noticing the missing deflectors on the PV-1, I think it slipped past most of us.
    Not a problem; I missed it too :-)

I think I will leave things as they are. The deflectors are obvious and do not create an obstacle for day or night flights.

Thanks for your inputs.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Lodestar Updates for FS9 and FSX

Lockheed Lodestar Model Replacement Updates and Aircraft.cfg Change

This update replaces 6 model folders and instructs you to change the aircraft.cfg.

The models changes are as follows:

1) Automatically shut off the modeled gear taxi lights when gear is retracted
    2) Lightens the tint/opacity on the wind deflectors

The aircraft.cfg changes remove the Light effects from the gear as the lights are modeled.

This change corrects the gear lights being on and "hanging" when gear was retracted with taxi lights on after takeoff.

Simple replacement instructions.

FSX and FS9 file changes are identical: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=20531&catid=8
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Milton, I was checking out a new paint I'm working on and discovered that my landing lights are missing. At least the textures aren't showing up for them. I installed the new models this morning, perhaps something with them?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2015-nov-23-001.jpg  
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

What sim? Are you running DX10 Preview?

The texture is DXT3; did you change the format?

The texture is landinglight.bmp

This is what I see in FSX Accel.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hmm... FSX SE here with the FSX version of the Lodestar.

The texture I have is landlite.dds and until now, it's been working for every paint I have. DX10? As far as I know, I'm not running it. Let me try renaming the texture to see if that does anything for it.

Back in a few minutes

Changing the name did the trick. Now to go back and change all the rest of them. The texture format I use is dds DXT 5

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2015-nov-23-003.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Hmm... FSX SE here with the FSX version of the Lodestar.

The texture I have is landlite.dds and until now, it's been working for every paint I have. DX10? As far as I know, I'm not running it. Let me try renaming the texture to see if that does anything for it.

Back in a few minutes
    Well, you can't rename it; I assume to that you meant that you would convert it to a different format?

EDIT: Here's mine attached
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Until now, all of mine have been "landlite" and worked with that name either as bmp or dds. I don't think I ever changed it from when it was installed. I changed to the updated model and they didn't. i changed the name on the one in my test textures folder to "landinglight" like you said it should be and now they're back. The full name is landinglight.dds now.

As for format, bmp or dds all work for me in FSX SE. FSX seems to prefer dds files so I use those. One of these days, I'm going to have to get a better handle on texture aliasing so I won't have to have all these duplicate textures for each paint scheme. I've got it working with the AlphaSim F-80 just great. Just have to figure out what I did, lol.

Until now, all of mine have been "landlite" and worked with that name either as bmp or dds. I don't think I ever changed it from when it was installed. I changed to the updated model and they didn't. i changed the name on the one in my test textures folder to "landinglight" like you said it should be and now they're back. The full name is landinglight.dds now.

As for format, bmp or dds all work for me in FSX SE. FSX seems to prefer dds files so I use those. One of these days, I'm going to have to get a better handle on texture aliasing so I won't have to have all these duplicate textures for each paint scheme. I've got it working with the AlphaSim F-80 just great. Just have to figure out what I did, lol.
    Ahhhh, you were running an old version huh? :-) I changed the light some time ago.

An FSX common texture folder is simple.

1) For your specific aircraft, Create a folder named "texture".
    2) Put all your common textures there
    3) In all your other texture folders, put in this texture.cfg attached along with the livery specific textures.
    4) Now all livery texture folders will find the common textures in the "texture" folder.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; November 22nd, 2015 at 20:48.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thanks Milton!

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Ahhhh, you were running an old version huh? :-) I changed the light some time ago.

An FSX common texture folder is simple.

1) For your specific aircraft, Create a folder named "texture".
    2) Put all your common textures there
    3) In all your other texture folders, put in this texture.cfg attached along with the livery specific textures.
    4) Now all livery texture folders will find the common textures in the "texture" folder.
    Thanks! I've got it all sorted out now. While I was at it, I did some "house cleaning" and made a separate folder for the C-60 cargo variants.

Thanks! I've got it all sorted out now. While I was at it, I did some "house cleaning" and made a separate folder for the C-60 cargo variants.
    Great! That should save you a bunch of disk space. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Another thing I did was to set it up to use either a sound pack for a P&W Twin Wasp R-1830 or a Wright Cyclone R-1820 set. The P&W set is Trev Morrison's and recorded from a DC-3 (freeware). The Cyclone set is out of the payware Uiver Team DC-2 and recorded from that aircraft. Nigel made a great sound set, but they were intended for the Harpoon's R-2800 engines which are much more powerful and a different sound. I've got two sound folders in the Lodestar folder, sound.wasp & sound.cyclone. If it uses the P&W engine model, the the sound= goes to the wasp set. If Wright Cyclone model, then it goes to the Cyclone set.

Milton,

I read your idea about using a "common" texture folder to save space. I have loads of repaints for the different lodestars installed.

As I am not a re-painter, how would I identify the "common" texture files? (Sorry, if this is a dumb question, but I always tell others that the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask )
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Another thing I did was to set it up to use either a sound pack for a P&W Twin Wasp R-1830 or a Wright Cyclone R-1820 set.
    Willy,

That sounds like a great idea, but where would I find the info what airplane uses which engines.?
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Quote Originally Posted by manfredc3 View Post
    Willy,

That sounds like a great idea, but where would I find the info what airplane uses which engines.?
    Look in the aircraft.cfg for each livery.

Model= identifies the model and engine type

L18PW = Pratt Whitney
    L18W = Wright
    C60A = Wright
    C57 = PW
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by manfredc3 View Post
    Milton,

I read your idea about using a "common" texture folder to save space. I have loads of repaints for the different lodestars installed.

As I am not a re-painter, how would I identify the "common" texture files? (Sorry, if this is a dumb question, but I always tell others that the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask )
    The following is for FSX Users Only:

Usually, painters supply only livery specific textures, but not always. Those not provided are common to all liveries.

Generally, only the exterior body panels are livery specific like fuselage, wings, tails, engines. All others are common.

Here is a list attached of livery specific texture names for the Lodestar.

Put all others in the common texture folder.

If a painter wants to do his own interior, that's fine. Those interior textures will go in the livery specific folder and that will override their presence in the common folder.

The livery specific folder is always searched first, then the common folder if not found there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails liveryspecific.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Another thing I did was to set it up to use either a sound pack for a P&W Twin Wasp R-1830 or a Wright Cyclone R-1820 set. The P&W set is Trev Morrison's and recorded from a DC-3 (freeware). The Cyclone set is out of the payware Uiver Team DC-2 and recorded from that aircraft. Nigel made a great sound set, but they were intended for the Harpoon's R-2800 engines which are much more powerful and a different sound. I've got two sound folders in the Lodestar folder, sound.wasp & sound.cyclone. If it uses the P&W engine model, the the sound= goes to the wasp set. If Wright Cyclone model, then it goes to the Cyclone set.
    With so much amazing creative input here on all of these wonderful textures, I think I have some suitable P&W Twin Wasps suitable for Milton's baby. It'll make a welcome refresher for most of your favourite Dc-3 models too:-)

Re Wright Cyclone R-1820's - has anyone tried the Grumman 7 sounds on this model?
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Sounding board

Great to see you back on-line Nigel, been missing the reek of ouzo associated with all of your works.

With regard to sounds employed to enhance further Milton and team's L-18s:

For the Wright engine models I currently use a very recent sound offering from 'Turbinesound Solutions'
    For the PW engine models I use the offering from Skyway Soundworks by Aaron Swindle.
    Both are for free on the net.

Will await Nigel's further offerings before holding another 'sound off'.

At the end of the day it is the ear of the listener that decides and in any case, how privileged we are now for variety and choice when you consider the straws we grasped at back 'in the day'.

Thanks again to all who continue to embroider and fashion FS2004 with entrancing and immersive enhancements.

Mal

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    With so much amazing creative input here on all of these wonderful textures, I think I have some suitable P&W Twin Wasps suitable for Milton's baby. It'll make a welcome refresher for most of your favourite Dc-3 models too:-)

Re Wright Cyclone R-1820's - has anyone tried the Grumman 7 sounds on this model?
    Nigel!!!

How wonderful to see you back again! I don't know about the others, but I surely missed you, your wit and your amazing work. It has been way too long!
    Tonight I'll celebrate your homecoming with a nice Irish Whiskey. (I have no ouzo in the house )

Best regards,
    Maarten

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    What sim? Are you running DX10 Preview?

The texture is DXT3; did you change the format?

The texture is landinglight.bmp

This is what I see in FSX Accel.
    Milton, which paint is that please?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vonernsk View Post
    Great to see you back on-line Nigel, been missing the reek of ouzo associated with all of your works.

With regard to sounds employed to enhance further Milton and team's L-18s:

For the Wright engine models I currently use a very recent sound offering from 'Turbinesound Solutions'
    For the PW engine models I use the offering from Skyway Soundworks by Aaron Swindle.
    Both are for free on the net.

Will await Nigel's further offerings before holding another 'sound off'.

At the end of the day it is the ear of the listener that decides and in any case, how privileged we are now for variety and choice when you consider the straws we grasped at back 'in the day'.

Thanks again to all who continue to embroider and fashion FS2004 with entrancing and immersive enhancements.

Mal
    LOL! Hi Mal, great to see you guys too :-)

Kind of you to shed some light on available sound solutions, never can have too many.

The Pratt & Whitney sounds I have in mind are more than a year's development work and patient testing by Milton, Blackbird 686, Pete Ham, Maarten and Andy G46.

Originally intended as Donationware, I have decided to christen Milton's beautiful model and include them in the offerings if he would like them :-})
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
    Nigel!!!

How wonderful to see you back again! I don't know about the others, but I surely missed you, your wit and your amazing work. It has been way too long!
    Tonight I'll celebrate your homecoming with a nice Irish Whiskey. (I have no ouzo in the house )

Best regards,
    Maarten
    LOL! Wonderful to see you too, my friend.

Mine'll have to be a frappe coffee as I have much midnight oil to burn.

But heartily drink to your good health I will fine Sir - take care, matey :-)

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha66 View Post
    Milton, which paint is that please?
    The paint in the screenshot is a work in progress I'm doing of N80A. The actual aircraft was a Learstar built from a Lodestar (close enough) and served US Steel as an executive aircraft. I've got it in a "prototype" state in FSX flying, but there's a couple of areas that I'm not happy with yet. I've got good shots of more executive Lodestars, Learstars and Howard 250s that stand a good chance of being painted.

On which common textures, one additional one that I do put in the livery folder is the parts_t texture. I do this because the prop blades are included on it as well as the engines. One thing I like to do is make the props unique to each paint. Different colors to match the aircraft on the tips and I've got a collection of prop logo bitmaps and will use different ones as the notion hits me.

Also getting back to the Twin Wasp/Cyclone thing, after spending a career in the Navy of working on piston engines, I tend to look at those closely. I've now got two different parts_t textures in my masters folder. One has a P&W Twin Wasp image and the other a Cyclone that I just did up yesterday. (I tend to let my OCD run wild where engines are concerned)

P&W Twin Wasp

Wright Cyclone 9

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P&W_R-1830 Twin Wasp.jpg   Wright Cyclone 9.jpg  

Icon22

Hi Friends,
    Another W.I.P. : the "Daylight"...
    I'm still working in order to align the lines between fuselage's sides and top and on the engine nacelles .......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mvg3d View Post
    Hi Friends,
    Another W.I.P. : the "Daylight"...
    I'm still working in order to align the lines between fuselage's sides and top and on the engine nacelles .......

WOW!!! Love it!

Εργο τέχνης φίλε - Κυδός!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "