A Lockheed "Rounder" - Page 86
Page 86 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3676787980818283848586878889909192939496 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 2790

Thread: A Lockheed "Rounder"

Quote Originally Posted by Maty12 View Post
    I completely understand. But why are there that many versions anyway? Does an exhaust stack really affect performance that much?
    Different engines of different sizes and manufacturers had different exhaust manifold and header arrangements.

It was also discovered that the longer exhausts to the rear added some HP.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Lodestar C57 and C60A Beta Issues

The lights setup and cargo doors setup have been an issue to get resolved. I have redone the lights section to eliminate the modeled lights issues, and have them all working now as I planned with the gear lights as taxi lights, the nose warning light used as approach recognition, and the wing ice light working. I need to re-export the models but the aircraft.cfg lights section is ready to go.

The cargo doors work but I currently have them all set to the primary door opening: un/load passengers, un/load baggage was the thinking. Not sure if there is a need to change that.

The fuel gauges setup does not match the fuel tank configuration and I am working to change those gauges so the fuel tanks can be used as planned.

There need to be some improvements in VC switch labels and that will be done.
    There are a few minor texture issues that will be addressed.

Please let me know what else you are seeing so we can get these changes in and get an updated version out.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

... {Snipped ... }

Also, been testing this bird out if FSX and she is working great. She does fly very nose high (Around 30, maybe 40 degrees during level flight), which is rather odd, but I assume so does the real C-60. Handles very well, especially love the easy take offs.
    Not sure if translation is failing us here Maty, but 30-40 degrees is a bit high for level flight. :-)

At cruise speeds, the nose attitude should be +1 degree.

Economy Cruise speed should be roughly 204MPH (178 knots) at 4000'
    Set Map to 30"
    Set RPMs to 1800
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Please let me know what else you are seeing so we can get these changes in and get an updated version out.
    Hi Milton,

I sent you an email. I spent about 1.5 hours in the C-60 and it sounds like you have most of the issues listed in your post above. Lemme know what you think.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    Hi Milton,

I sent you an email. I spent about 1.5 hours in the C-60 and it sounds like you have most of the issues listed in your post above. Lemme know what you think.

BB686
    Thank you Sir! Good stuff too.

You and WMD are in a minority ya know; out of 135 beta test downloads, so far, I have received 2 responses regarding helpful feedback. :-)

I am certain more will be coming ..... otherwise I will discontinue open beta testing.

EDIT: Just FYI, I have removed the Beta from the library. There are plenty copies out there to find and report issues, and there are quite a few. I have all but two corrected at this point. I will await further feedback to finalize the corrections. The next release will be Gold.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

just lovely..!! happy to see the repaints by Rachael were included..!! the only item I noticed to look at ..the fuel pump switches..
    don't "switch" .. as for exits.. thinking the C-60A should be able to open the entry door inflight..without the cargo hold doors also
    opening ..inflight... thanks Milton..and the team !!

rgds
    t creed

Quote Originally Posted by t.creed View Post
    just lovely..!! happy to see the repaints by Rachael were included..!! the only item I noticed to look at ..the fuel pump switches..
    don't "switch" .. as for exits.. thinking the C-60A should be able to open the entry door inflight..without the cargo hold doors also
    opening ..inflight... thanks Milton..and the team !!

rgds
    t creed
    Thanks TC; good points.

I corrected the fuel pump switches; aircraft.cfg issue.
    Maybe the cargo doors should be switched to ... cargo doors :-)

As for opening the entry door in flight ... not possible but if for paratroops, not sure what they did or if that door worked differently. Anyone with insight to this?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

my thoughts were the paratroopers.. wonder if it was as simple as..door removed for "jumps" since not going to altitudes ..??
    thanks sir..

rgds
    t creed

Quote Originally Posted by t.creed View Post
    my thoughts were the paratroopers.. wonder if it was as simple as..door removed for "jumps" since not going to altitudes ..??
    thanks sir..

rgds
    t creed
    Not sure but it makes sense except in Winter jumps behind the lines. :-) Brrrrrrrrrr.

Let me think about that, but hopefully someone has some insight as to how this worked.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

For the Lodestar cockpit beta release, there are needs for better labeling of switches. This is what I have come up with and have requested these changes be made.

For anyone else dressing out the VC textures, these are the missing labels.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Lodestar next release: If anyone has some nice C-57 or C60A textures they would like included in the release package, give me a heads up and I will consider them.

Some have been posted in this thread that I thought were awesome.

Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thanks TC; good points.

I corrected the fuel pump switches; aircraft.cfg issue.
    Maybe the cargo doors should be switched to ... cargo doors :-)

As for opening the entry door in flight ... not possible but if for paratroops, not sure what they did or if that door worked differently. Anyone with insight to this?
    I knew I'd seen it somewhere...
    Milton, it is in the C-60 0003635_erection and maintenance instructions (.pdf) on page 189.

(4) Doors.
    (a) The door for entering the airplane is quickly removable in flight and equipped with a lock which can be secured and opened from the outside. A lever releases the hinges. A removable cover plate replaces cabin door during parachute troop maneuvers.

Further along it says:
    (5) EMERGENCY EQUIPMENT.
    (a) Two emergency panels,
    (note: the window hatches) operated from the inside, are provided. The entrance door is quickly removable for egress in an emergency. A lever releases the hinges of the door in flight.(note: for use in emergency bailout) Also an easily removable cover plate for the door opening, removable from the inside, is supplied loose in each airplane. It is possible to remove and install the cover plate in flight when cabin door has been removed.

From this is appears the procedure is to remove the door prior to departure on a parachute flight and cover the opening with the cover plate. This is removed to jettison the screaming cargo and then replaced to keep the crew warm and inside until landing. I assume this would be some sort of rudimentary plug-type panel with dogs to secure it to the frame. I have not seen a picture of post-war civilian parachute Lockheeds but other types were modified with roll-up doors when flown as dedicated jump aircraft. This would, of course, all change if the aircraft was modified with a double entry/cargo door as most of those were a custom shape entry door. The only other alternative in this case is if the cargo-door mod had two "cargo" sections, the forward one surrounding and incorporating the std. oval entry door (similar to some variants of the C-47/DC-3)

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Hi,
    This is a very small detail. The PV-2 from way back has really nice prop discs, but this latest beta has,for my computer(?) invisible discs. I am with FS9 and even though I swapped out the discs from the earlier aircraft, they still don't work in the same way .

Otherwise it's a beautiful model

Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonadedrinker View Post
    Hi,
    This is a very small detail. The PV-2 from way back has really nice prop discs, but this latest beta has,for my computer(?) invisible discs. I am with FS9 and even though I swapped out the discs from the earlier aircraft, they still don't work in the same way .

Otherwise it's a beautiful model

Andy.
    Everyone has different preferences I guess. Attached are 4 that you can try. These have been made available by different artists.

Just rename each one to try it.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hi,
    Thank you Milton; I will give them a run later today and report back.
    Andy.

thanks Rob... !!

4) Doors.
    (a) The door for entering the airplane is quickly removable in flight and equipped with a lock which can be secured and opened from the outside. A lever releases the hinges. A removable cover plate replaces cabin door during parachute troop maneuvers.

rgds
    t creed

I installed a cockpit light and found as soon as it comes on it turns itself back off. That must be why it was // out to begin with. Anyone know what causes this?

[LIGHTS]
    // types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
    // 6=Taxi, 7=Recognition, 8=Wing, 9=Logo, 10=Cabin

light.0 =3, -34.32, 0.00, 3.31, fx_navwhi //tail white nav
    light.1 =3, -1.07, -32.64, 3.86, fx_navred //left wing
    light.2 =3, -1.07, 32.64, 3.86, fx_navgre //right wing
    light.3 =2, -6.15, 0.00, -1.01, fx_strobe //bellystrobe
    light.4 =1, -27.02, 0.00, 5.43, fx_beacon //tail beacon
    light.5 =1, -6.15, 0.00, -3.36, fx_beacon //belly beacon
    light.6 =4, 6.00, 0.00, 3.00, fx_vclight //vclight ----------
    light.7 =3, -34.32, 0.00, 3.09, fx_navwhi //tail white nav
    light.8 =10, -14.90, 1.34, 2.87, fx_cabinlites
    light.9 =10, -5.76, 0.00, 3.02, fx_cabinlites
    light.10 =10, -14.90, -1.34, 2.87, fx_cabinlites
    light.11 =5, 0.2, -18.00, 1.00, fx_landing_maule
    light.12 =5, 0.2, 18.00, 1.00, fx_landing_maule

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I installed a cockpit light and found as soon as it comes on it turns itself back off. That must be why it was // out to begin with. Anyone know what causes this?

[LIGHTS]
    // types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
    // 6=Taxi, 7=Recognition, 8=Wing, 9=Logo, 10=Cabin

light.0 =3, -34.32, 0.00, 3.31, fx_navwhi //tail white nav
    light.1 =3, -1.07, -32.64, 3.86, fx_navred //left wing
    light.2 =3, -1.07, 32.64, 3.86, fx_navgre //right wing
    light.3 =2, -6.15, 0.00, -1.01, fx_strobe //bellystrobe
    light.4 =1, -27.02, 0.00, 5.43, fx_beacon //tail beacon
    light.5 =1, -6.15, 0.00, -3.36, fx_beacon //belly beacon
    light.6 =4, 6.00, 0.00, 3.00, fx_vclight //vclight ----------
    light.7 =3, -34.32, 0.00, 3.09, fx_navwhi //tail white nav
    light.8 =10, -14.90, 1.34, 2.87, fx_cabinlites
    light.9 =10, -5.76, 0.00, 3.02, fx_cabinlites
    light.10 =10, -14.90, -1.34, 2.87, fx_cabinlites
    light.11 =5, 0.2, -18.00, 1.00, fx_landing_maule
    light.12 =5, 0.2, 18.00, 1.00, fx_landing_maule
    You can only run so many lights before you experience this.

Delete one of the cabinlights.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

You can only run so many lights before you experience this.

Delete one of the cabinlights.
    Okay, thanks Milton.

Not sure if translation is failing us here Maty, but 30-40 degrees is a bit high for level flight. :-)

At cruise speeds, the nose attitude should be +1 degree.

Economy Cruise speed should be roughly 204MPH (178 knots) at 4000'
    Set Map to 30"
    Set RPMs to 1800
    Milton, I have no clue what happened during that first flight, but the plane was definitely at nearly 40 degrees nose high. It's not happening anymore.

Hi Milton,
    as I'm still abroad and won't be able to fly till October, I'm still following the progress of the Lodestar. I don't know if the cargo doors open separately from the passenger door (which I would prefer) but have you thought of assigning shift + 2 or another assignment like the slash for example to the cargo doors to open separately from the passenger door?
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
    Hi Milton,
    as I'm still abroad and won't be able to fly till October, I'm still following the progress of the Lodestar. I don't know if the cargo doors open separately from the passenger door (which I would prefer) but have you thought of assigning shift + 2 or another assignment like the slash for example to the cargo doors to open separately from the passenger door?
    Hi Mark :-)

Great to see you jumping in here from abroad. Yes, actually I changed the doors earlier today as I was finalizing other issues, including the cockpit windows. I am hopefully making my final changes here shortly and will try to get all these models exported tonight before some final testing. I set all the lower cargo doors to use shift+e, 2 the cargo door (or rear canopy) assignment.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Milton, I did notice that pedestal seems rather odd. I bring your attention to the pictures below

The lever is supposedly in the "Full Rich" area (Circled in brown), which corresponds to about 75-100% mixture. Yet the levers are at 0%

The levers are now in the yellow circle, which is marked as "Auto Rich" (50-75% mixture), yet the levers are actually between 25 and 50%.

Now the area circled in blue, which reads "Auto Lean" (25-50% mixture). Meanwhile, the levers are actually between 50 and 75%.

And finally, the green circle. It corresponds to a setting never used: Full Lean (1-25%, which is basically the point between Idle-Cutoff (0%) and Auto Lean (25-50%). The levers clearly read between 75 and 100%.

What does this mean? I believe it means the mixture levers on the Harpoon/Lodestar/Ventura, much like in the B-17 and B-24, actually work opposite to regular ones.

I don't know how I missed it, especially since these markings are also present in the Harpoon. Sorry I took so long to notice, Milton.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015-08-30_00009_zpskoyjcukd.jpg   2015-08-31_00002_zpsvvcvstci.jpg   2015-08-31_00003_zpsppfuf8gv.jpg  

Milton, I did notice that pedestal seems rather odd. I bring your attention to the pictures below

The lever is supposedly in the "Full Rich" area (Circled in brown), which corresponds to about 75-100% mixture. Yet the levers are at 0%

The levers are now in the yellow circle, which is marked as "Auto Rich" (50-75% mixture), yet the levers are actually between 25 and 50%.

Now the area circled in blue, which reads "Auto Lean" (25-50% mixture). Meanwhile, the levers are actually between 50 and 75%.

And finally, the green circle. It corresponds to a setting never used: Full Lean (1-25%, which is basically the point between Idle-Cutoff (0%) and Auto Lean (25-50%). The levers clearly read between 75 and 100%.

What does this mean? I believe it means the mixture levers on the Harpoon/Lodestar/Ventura, much like in the B-17 and B-24, actually work opposite to regular ones.

I don't know how I missed it, especially since these markings are also present in the Harpoon. Sorry I took so long to notice, Milton.
    Wow! Interesting, you, me and 1000 others missed it I guess because no one actually reads those labels; they are just eye candy. :-)

Well, I can change it no problem, but I know the world will complain about them being backwards then. :-)

Then they will want the Harpoon changed when explained. :-)

Or, we can change the labels :-)

Dang! What to do.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hi,
    Above about 3000ft I drop the levers to show 30% and just go by the tooltip !

Which takes preference in the sim?... the tooltip or the position of the levers?

All of us are so used to moving the levers to that downward position I imagine it would be simpler to alter the labels !

Andy.