A Lockheed "Rounder" - Page 61
Page 61 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1151535455565758596061626364656667686971111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 2790

Thread: A Lockheed "Rounder"

Ah WOW! Nigel, they look terrific! What a beauties!

Cheers,
    Maarten

"I know that somewhere out in this vast ocean, there's a tall sailing vessel with a drunken lot of sailors aboard her..." "Drink up me hearties, yo ho!"

Looks fantastic Nigel.... But does she fly as good as she looks? Given the superb quality of your work... I'm sure the 'Chief' will set the standards for that. You're a tough act to follow matey! Who needs payware when you have quality like this?

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post

"I know that somewhere out in this vast ocean, there's a tall sailing vessel with a drunken lot of sailors aboard her..." "Drink up me hearties, yo ho!"

Looks fantastic Nigel.... But does she fly as good as she looks? Given the superb quality of your work... I'm sure the 'Chief' will set the standards for that. You're a tough act to follow matey! Who needs payware when you have quality like this?

BB686
    I assure you Mate that there is aplenty drinking water available for all who desire it, however, the "good stuff" is running low. You might ask "srgalahad" who is somewhere out in the South Pacific running between islands.

As for the Harpoon flight models, Fliger747 has been tweaking them since 2012 and we feel they are "just right", individual controllers and sensitivities aside.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

I've been greatly enjoying following the progress on this project! And I love the paint work (and paint choices) Nigel!

Here are some related modern-day photos I thought would be worth posting to this thread, of two of the Harpoons that fly today and Nigel has recreated through his paint work.

"The Pacific"

"The Aleutians"

The quality of models today is so good I didn't originally realize those were the real planes! Wondering who did the very real looking FM2!

Cheers. T

Tom, the FM-2 in the photographs was restored by "Wild Warbirds" in Uvalde, TX, owned/run by Conrad Huffstutler (who I believe is a year or two younger than I am), and who is also seen piloting the aircraft. It was restored to absolute original condition, including the correct original wartime engine type with water injection, original Curtiss-Electric prop, original working WWII radios and all other wartime equipment including the gunsight which also works, all original primers/paints, and the only WWII warbird restored with a working original shotgun/Coffman starter (using original WWII-era shells). Recently the aircraft was purchased by the Fagen Fighters WWII Museum, and is now based and flying out of Granite Falls, MN. http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbirds...s-wildcat.html

Shotgun starter in action on this aircraft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65qrzgbTTcQ

(Sorry for the thread drift!)

How's it going with the Lodestar? Inquiring minds and all that...

(trying to paint a Howard 500 in TWA paint at the moment to use as an multiplayer AI for a Lodestar)
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    How's it going with the Lodestar? Inquiring minds and all that...

(trying to paint a Howard 500 in TWA paint at the moment to use as an multiplayer AI for a Lodestar)
    Hi Willy,

This one (and the L-57 and L-60A and teh Vega Ventura) have been sitting in the paint shop backlog for many months collecting dust. Only so many FS9 painters around willing to do real artwork, interiors, gauge bmps, and paint kits.

If I can make the time, I will setup an AI version and upload it for you.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thanks Milton, I can somewhat do some painting and I've done a few fair ones recently, but don't consider myself to be anywhere near Nigel and the other real artists.

Willy, et al,

Attached is a stripped out Lodestar L-18; just the essentials of the exterior model, no interior other than walls, floor, and bulkheads.
    No panel, no sounds, and minimal textures I could get to without rebuilding parts.
    I did not optimize or rebuild exterior parts so it is still a high poly AI aircraft.
    But, except for the main textures that must be painted, all others are reduced in size for fast loads.

Once you paint the main textures (that were mapped for high res), then reduce them to 512 as bmps and then maybe convert to 8-bit or DXT3.
    This should then reduce total texture folder size to around 5 MB.

I left the air file as a standard aircraft type so you can test it. Afterwards you can switch that over to type 2.

If you want the 2048x2048 texture templates, let me know.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thanks Milton! Now to see what I can do with it!

Hi Milton,

I've never created a bare all metal template before, so I shall have a try. I can't promise anything though, since for repaints I always relied on the bare metal textures of other people (in particular Nigel can't be beaten so far), and I don't have "layer"programs such as photo shop or paint shop pro.
    I can't put up any deadline for myself right now, due to health.

Cheers,
    Maarten

Quote Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
    Hi Milton,

I've never created a bare all metal template before, so I shall have a try. I can't promise anything though, since for repaints I always relied on the bare metal textures of other people (in particular Nigel can't be beaten so far), and I don't have "layer"programs such as photo shop or paint shop pro.

Cheers,
    Maarten
    Hi Maarten,

Creating the alpha needed for bare metal textures is quite complex when you can't work with layered files. Have you ever considered to use gimp? It is free and once you have learned how to manage layered files is much easier to create repaints. I fully agree that it takes quite some time before you can fully use all the possibilities which this program offers, but it is really worth the effort.

You can find some useful tutorials here: http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/foru...splay.php?f=35

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Hi Willy,

This one (and the L-57 and L-60A and teh Vega Ventura) have been sitting in the paint shop backlog for many months collecting dust. Only so many FS9 painters around willing to do real artwork, interiors, gauge bmps, and paint kits.

If I can make the time, I will setup an AI version and upload it for you.
    Gents, just for clarification, I am not looking for someone to fill in for Nigel on this one. Nigel will get to this one once the Harpoons and Bounty work is done ... so it is next in line.

I meant that we have a lot in the queue right now and Nigel is backed up, and finding someone with his talents that is still interested in doing FS9 or freeware is impossible.

I appreciate your willingness and your patience; we will get there. :-)

I did put the AI up for you guys to paint and use as you like. The exterior is high quality and 2048 templates are available.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I've been looking at the texture mapping and thinking that this is a good opportunity for me to really pull out all the stops and see what I can do. And I'm currently looking at what I consider to be some of the best bare metal in FS9 ever done and think I've got it figured out how it was pulled off.

I'm treating this as an on the job learning experience. And if I can improve my limited skills, then so much the better.

I've been looking at the texture mapping and thinking that this is a good opportunity for me to really pull out all the stops and see what I can do. And I'm currently looking at what I consider to be some of the best bare metal in FS9 ever done and think I've got it figured out how it was pulled off.

I'm treating this as an on the job learning experience. And if I can improve my limited skills, then so much the better.
    That sounds great Willy. With the classic aircraft you like to fly, that bare metal work will help a lot.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thanks Milton! I feel I've got a good handle on how to do decent bare metal, but not great bare metal. I've been using a highly redone base texture set on my C-46s, but the metal still isn't there. Starting from scratch with the Lodestar is going to be good.

Thanks Milton! I feel I've got a good handle on how to do decent bare metal, but not great bare metal. I've been using a highly redone base texture set on my C-46s, but the metal still isn't there. Starting from scratch with the Lodestar is going to be good.
    Do you want the 2048 paint templates to give you more work room?

EDIT: Attached 2048x2048 templates for exterior
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Hi Maarten,

Creating the alpha needed for bare metal textures is quite complex when you can't work with layered files. Have you ever considered to use gimp? It is free and once you have learned how to manage layered files is much easier to create repaints. I fully agree that it takes quite some time before you can fully use all the possibilities which this program offers, but it is really worth the effort.

You can find some useful tutorials here: http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/foru...splay.php?f=35

Cheers,
    Huub
    Hi Huub,

Dank je wel for the hint. I'll have a look at this.

Cheers,
    Maarten

Hi Willy,

Please keep us in touch on your progress.

Cheers,
    Maarten

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Willy; always greatly inspiring to see the the creative mode kicking in - go for it, Sir

Keep us updated and share the learning experience. If you need any kind of input, please don't hesitate :-)

You might consider a progress thread - I'm sure this would be most helpful to others wishing to start their own texturing.
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
    Hi Milton,

Cheers,
    Maarten
    Hey Maarten - hope you're feeling better soon, my friend :-)

Huub beat me to it with his excellent HU - you really must go for a layer program for any kind of serious texture work - Photoshop's the pro's choice with its awesome capabilities and accuracy. I recently downloaded Gimp, mostly out of curiosity and was most pleasantly surprised by its similarity to Photoshop in basic functions - and it's free!

Don't be afraid of tackling the bare metal approach; once the fundamentals are understood, it's really not quite as difficult as you might think.

Invest as much time as you can on panel/rivet/shadowing first - hold of any attempts at metal until these are completed, otherwise the metal will have no body or substance.
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by t.creed View Post
    any further updates??

rgds
    t.creed
    Thanks for your interest. The project has been on hold as we get the Bounty out the door. We'll be right back soon. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I've got a start on a Lodestar base plain just bare metal paint. I got panel lines laid down when I ran into computer issues and ended up getting a new machine last week. I'm still loading my stuff onto the new one, but the Lodestar folder is in the middle of the desktop so I can't miss it. I've had a request for a TWA one so that will be the first one out when I get back to it.