Old Army Compass.

Thread: Old Army Compass.

Old Army Compass.

I've had this old field compass for ages that belonged to my old man in WW2. Australian issue from 1941. Still works good to, even better with a squirt of RP7.

demorier....But does it have the ability to point the way to a mine full of opals?
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

I assume one end points to Antartica and the other toward civilization!

Very nice Dormorier! It looks almost brand new. I wonder what tales it could tell and where it was used?

I see that its bezel is marked in both degrees and milradians. That makes it useful for artillery and mortar spotting as well as navigation.

Here is the current US Military lensatic compass. This one dates to 1979, but this particular model goes back to just after WW II and is still the issue compass. They have an allowable error of 3 degrees but generally do better than that. When used with a good topographic map and protractor, you can determine your location or get to the desired location quite well.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Amongst other things, I know my old man was on some artillery duties for a time, most of his OS service was through various south-west Pacific Islands like PNG and Borneo..later on he was stationed in various parts of northern Australia and conducted practical jungle training exercises for troops before being deployed OS.

I don't have much use for the compass, I think I might clean it up and donate it to one of our local RSL Clubs. Most clubs have some sort of display of military bits and pieces.

Nice compass. I am in possession of a W. & L. E. Gurley made U.S. Army artillery spotter compass from WW II. Mine is still in very good condition and works perfectly. These old compasses were designed to survive severe duty.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Really well made instruments are wonderful....

I also own an old Lensatic, and at one time had an M2 issued to me (Artillery, broken down in Mils vs. degrees).

Both were crafted really well, and both are decades old.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."