Black Scenery Objects, Why?

Thread: Black Scenery Objects, Why?

Black Scenery Objects, Why?

I believe this issue was discussed before, but I can't find the thread. I am running FSX Acceleration and Win 7 Home Premium. I have added a few addon scenery sets in recent months, all were showing correctly. I haven't made any changes to the scenery setup in a few weeks but yesterday all the objects in my Aviodome scenery at Lelystad (Holland) turned jet black! I can't remember the details on this package but it is freeware which I got through the DC-2 website some months ago. I haven't changed anything in the Lelystad folder in addon scenery and the scenery.cfg file (the one in C:Program Data/Microsoft/FSX) looks the same. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling that scenery but that didn't help. Any idea what I should do next?

Thanks, Paul

Looks like the aliens are here! Just plain weird!

Best, Paul

Attachment 52320

I had this problem a while back. It was caused by multiple scenery object being in different locations at the same time and not having all the textures in the currently active objects texture directory. Sometimes when people release an airport, they will include the object bgl files with only the textures required for the airport they are releasing. If FSX decides that bgl has the highest priority, it will use it regardless of any other bgl with the same name lower in the scenery priority list and you will get black objects, as it has the structure but nothing to paint it with. What I did was go one by one unchecking the active scenery until the textures appeared then I knew which one was causing the problem. then figure out which bgl was in both the one I was seeing the black object and also in the one that when removed corrected the problem. Once you figure out which library is causing the problem move the scenery with all the textures to a higher level and it will always use that one regardless of others with the same name but missing textures.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Dave

I agree with Siggie, that's a priority problem in the scenery database. That happens when a scenery library (bgl) is loaded without the textures in the same folder structure.

Cheers,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    I agree with Siggie, that's a priority problem in the scenery database. That happens when a scenery library (bgl) is loaded without the textures in the same folder structure.

Cheers,
    Mark
    You are both right; I did understand what Dave said and found the problem data folder. I don't understand why it worked in the first place because the problem was there all along as I hadn't even breathed on the scenery library in recent weeks. However, at age 79 I am not going to worry too much about the logic and instead go with what works. Thanks again, Paul