Retiring.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retiring.

Retiring.

Hi all,

I am retiring as a FS2004\FSX painter. I have problems finding the nessesary inspiration these days. I find it weird sometimes that as soon as I publish something I almost immediately get asked to provide the master PSDs so that others can use my work for their repaints. I have even been accused of being 'unwilling to share' in these matters... lol. This seems more important than the repaints themselves. I guess there are a lot of lazy painters out there that do not want to fiddle with rivets and stencil data. Please take note, this is not about the hi-res MiG-21 kit I made, that was offered for download from day one as I was fed up.
    I do not find this hobby rewarding anymore so don't expect repaints from me. I'd rather fly :-)

Best
    Dag

wow Dag....sorry to hear this. Being someone who is also a painter, while not as good as you as, I totally understand what you are talking about. I can only hope at some point you will get inspired once again so I can grace my planes with your paints. Until then I hoipe you can enjoy some of the ones I will be doing and releasing soon.

Sorry to hear that Dag, I have been a big fan of your extreemly good paintings. I hope you can find the nessesary inspiration sometime later :salute:
    Ernie

Best to you Dag, and thank you for what you have done for the community.

I can relate. Painting for me is relaxing and full of inspiration. Well, it was last year at this time. This year, I can't seem to get enthusiastic about getting my brushes wet. I do however enjoy seeing other painters filling this void and showing their skills. I know that when I do get the painters bug, it seems most, if not all of my time gets devoted to painting, rather than flying.

Dag, I don't know you, you don't know me (I'm guessing!) and I don't believe I have ever seen one of your skins. But I certainly sympathize with your decision. Our society has become one of ever more "takers" and fewer "producers". People feel entitled to other folks' hard work, and if they don't get it, they immediately flame you. So s***w 'em, pal. It's YOUR time; spend it doing what YOU want to do and to hell with the ingrates! :salute:

- H52
    A tad high and a tad hot is better than a tad low and a tad slow - H52

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye52 View Post
    Dag, I don't know you, you don't know me (I'm guessing!) and I don't believe I have ever seen one of your skins. But I certainly sympathize with your decision. Our society has become one of ever more "takers" and fewer "producers". People feel entitled to other folks' hard work, and if they don't get it, they immediately flame you. So s***w 'em, pal. It's YOUR time; spend it doing what YOU want to do and to hell with the ingrates! :salute:

- H52
    :-) Thanks, nice words from one I don't know :-)

That's too bad, Dag..
    But I understand, though it is too bad you let the idiots get to you.
    Enjoy your flying, and who knows, inspiration may return?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Banned
    Good for you, Dag. Good decision.
    I never could understand how people who rely on others can feel good about themselves.

Paint for yourself and then just show your talent and feel good about yourself and
    your talent. I never download paint scheme skins. If I want a special skin, I'll figure out how to paint it myself.
    I'd like to do missions and other stuff but I can't afford the programs to open all those different files.
    Too many people have no desire to feel self importance about themselves reminds me of all the sports fans who
    need the athletes to accomplish feats so they themselves can find thrills and importance over the
    accomplishments of others.

Your post was edited to remove offensive material. Contact me via PM if you need clarification as to what the problem was - N2056

Sorry to see you stop painting these days. I can understand how you feel about it, hopefully you will find the inspiration you once lost.

Tim

Dag...

....sorry to see you go! You're one of the few that I know of who is a RoNAF F-5 nut like me! Your repaints have been WONDERFUL, and the perspective you offered the hobby will be greatly missed!

Regards,

Kent

I know how you feel DagR. I've always had people asking me to paint this or paint that. And honestly sometimes I just want to paint one of something for myself and leave it at that. Being involved with the commercial side of it, it can sometimes be extremely frustrating to pour myself into something only to have the final product be slammed because of percieved shortcomings on other parts. And honestly right now I just don't want to work on the current project. Love the subject but am just burnt out chasing other's schedules.

Anyway, enjoy the flying time. Sometimes a couple months of only that are necessary to keep the hobby enjoyable. Then maybe something new will come along that catches your interest.
    :ernae:

DagR

I fully understand your decision. As a painter, tweaker, modder, improver of planes, I know what it's like to spend 90% of your sim time working on planes and only 10% flying them. I haven't had more than a few people ask for my paint kits....mainly because I keep my kits simple and clean and don't do into a great deal of detail (I hate doing rivets, so I don't do them all that often).

I have never understood why so many people get upset if this or that plane doesn't come with a paint kit. It's not hard to develop your own layered paint kit...time consuming yes...but not hard at all. I find the creation of the paint kit to be the most enjoyable aspect of painting planes. Heck, I have created paint kits for planes that I will most likely never use simply because my desire to paint that plane (or even fly that plane) is no longer there.

Enjoy your flying time! You have more than earned it!

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by timghetta View Post
    Sorry to see you stop painting these days. I can understand how you feel about it, hopefully you will find the inspiration you once lost.

Tim
    I might need to do my own personal Echo one of these days Tim :-)
    Thanks for the kind words everyone, yes, I am gonna enjoy it and it was great getting it out of the system.

Dag,

I've never even attempted a repaint because I don't have such talents. But I appreciate your contributions! Thank you for your efforts in creating such beautiful paints!

Navy Chief

This hobby is cyclic. Just sit back and something will eventually bring you back. If I had more time and the right inspiration, I'd be back in the repaint business in a heartbeat. All it takes is the right airplane and the right idea. Hang in there. Relax. Fly. Enjoy. It'll come back to you when you least expect it.

Thanks for all of the repaints Dag. I've enjoyed many of them and I'm sure there many out there who enjoy them as well that you've never heard from as well.

All I can say now is, "Enjoy the flying!!!"

FS is a hobby, so above all else, it should be fun. When you get bored of just flying around, please don't hesitate to pick up your virtual paintbrush.

Happy retirement! :ernae:

Sorry to hear you are retiring, while I may not use everything that is made available I enjoy see the talent of others. I understand your hitting the wall for inspiration, I used to enjoy scale modelling and then one day the desire to build or paint was gone. It took seven years to get that desire back, I hope it does not take as long in your case. Sometimes talent has hibernate for a while until the desire comes back. Enjoy your rest and many happy flights:salute:
    AO1 USN Retired
    USS SARATOGA CV-60/ VP-65/HAL-5/VP-0919/VFA-305/NAWS-0176/HCS-5

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance
    We Are The Arms Of The Fleet

Hi Dag,

I´ve enjoyed your repaints from the early Lago/C9 days and we had about one year ago a very helpful and constructive communication about a special GAF repaint of the G-91T3.
    Fully understanding and respecting your decision, I hope we will see your talent sometimes in the future:salute:

Best wishes,
    Peter

I know how you feel!. Good luck with what ever you choose to do.

Kindest Michael

Quote Originally Posted by michael davies View Post
    I know how you feel!. Good luck with what ever you choose to do.

Kindest Michael
    Thanks Michael :-)

Take care Dag. Take a (long) break and perhaps inspiration will come back one day.

Cheers,
    Huub

Sorry to hear this Dag, I have always enjoyed your work and your attention to detail! Thanks for all your hard work!
    A break is always good. I had to take a break for awhile due to family health issues myself and have been slowly getting back into FS.
    Best, Michael

Sorry to hear Dag, you've always been on the cutting edge with your work and ever the perfectionist when it came to all the small details that made your work so sought after. It's understandable that you would need to take the time to step back and access the state of things right now. It never hurts to back away and observe from a distance. I hope you enjoy your time away from the hobby, you are a talented artist and your work will be missed.:salute::salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)