(NEW) Project Tupolev Tu-154b2 - FSX-Native (freeware) - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: (NEW) Project Tupolev Tu-154b2 - FSX-Native (freeware)

Quote Originally Posted by ega View Post
    But I cannot get this livery to show up in FSX!
    It happens to me all the time. It's alway because I pay not enough attention to the aircraft.cfg file. The new entry for the Siberia livery should look like this (replace X by the sequence number, 4 if it's your 1st livery - title has to be different - choose model and panel you want, etc...)

Code:
    [fltsim.X]
    title=Tu154B2 Siberia-85556
    sim=154b_v3_08
    model=90
    panel=90_Blue
    sound=
    texture=Siberia-85556
    kb_checklists=
    kb_reference=
    atc_id=RA-85556
    atc_airline=Siberia
    atc_flight_number=85556
    editable=0
    ui_manufacturer=ANTK Tupolev
    ui_type=PTu-154B-2
    ui_variation=Siberia Blue 90's Panel
    visual_damage=1
    ui_createdby=Project Tupolev
    description=Project Tupolev Tu154-B2 X
    atc_heavy=0
    You can keep the bmp textures, but stay in DX9 mode. DDS is for DX10 mode.

Thanks Vonstroheim. From the aircraft.cfg entry you posted I could see my mistake!

Thanks
    Edmundo

Quote Originally Posted by vonstroheim View Post
    . . . . . .You can keep the bmp textures, but stay in DX9 mode. DDS is for DX10 mode.
    A bit off topic here, but this statement caught my eye and maybe I misunderstood what you're referring to. When you say DX10 mode are you referring to the DX10 "Preview Mode" for FSX? If so, that's not a correct statement, I don't use DX10 mode and dds files (which have become standard for FSX native aircraft textures) displays just fine. Also, If you refer to the DirectX version, everyone should be running DirectX10 at this point anyway, so I am a bit confused (which is normal for me by the way, lol).
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

I'm pretty sure he's saying not to try using the .bmp format textures in DX-10 preview mode.
    Regards,
    Robert

Stefano & StormILM,

Have both of you tried following the startup guide located in section 5.3 (I believe), in the included flight manual, rather than relying in the video.
    The included flight manual explains why you are doing the things you do, and of course the what, when, and where of all the switches.

Additionally, did you disable your joystick system with FSX and program it through the 154's own joystick configuration utility as advised in the manual.

Again, for everyone, I cannot stress enough the importance of reading the manual and needing to learn this airplane.
    I have been flying it just fine with no errors for a few days now.
    (I have not flown the blue panel much yet. Sticking to my favorite classic green configuration for now, but when I have loaded up the blue, I have not had problems.)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    When you say DX10 mode are you referring to the DX10 "Preview Mode" for FSX?
    Yes that's what I meant. DDS works in DX9 and 10, BMP usually works only in DX9, got to try it for this aircraft...

I'm working on a wide 16:9 panel, so far I got the blue version almost ready. maybe Kirill is building one too, or somebody else...

Attachment 51299

I realize I got some gauges mixed up (turn coordinator), but I got to run... see you later guys...

We have a couple of brand new repaints available now:

First, we have CCCP-8513, which, according to my book and some online photo references is actually a Tu-154B model (not B-2)....construction number 75A131. It's sister ship 85130 was manufactured on December 24, 1975, so this one was likely completed a couple days after Christmas 1975. It's sporting it's Soviet-era Aeroflot livery, and can now be found parked at a technical college:
    http://www.airliners.net/photo/Aerof...3c162bfb8a8446

http://avsimrus.com/f/fsx-aircraft-l...eta-41474.html
    If someone wants me to explain the model differences in the 154 series, let me know.

EDIT: Just downloaded the this Aeroflot livery. The texture's panel aliasing points to the 90's era blue panel, which would be gravely incorrect for the era that this livery is representing. This paintjob is much, much more appropriate on the 70's era green panel.

Our second livery is Belavia (Belarussian airline) EW-85706, which in the real world is a Tu-154M, construction number 91A881. Formerly CCCP-85706. It's sister ship 705 was manufactured on August, 8th, 1991, so this one probably came out in the middle of the month from Tupolev OKB.
    http://www.airliners.net/photo/Belav...74fa435ef1e07f

Belavia operated 24 154 series aircraft (B-1 through M) from Mink-2 Airport and Gomel airport.
    http://avsimrus.com/f/fsx-aircraft-l...eta-41454.html

Side note: Vonstroheim recommends in a previous post (as do I) RA-85556, from Siberia Airlines.
    For those interested in history, this aircraft was manufactured in 1982, and was destroyed in 2004 as a vessel used in a suicide bombing by Chechen terrorists (women known as the Black Widows) while enroute to Sochi.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibir_Airlines_Flight_1047

Startup Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RA85535#p/a/u/1/ln9E8bQr2hg

This video may help. It's actually a Tu-154B-2 simulator, and it looks like it's using the PT software logic. He leads the viewer through startup. (Ignore the part where he deals with the pressurization at about 5:17...that's not applicable to this version, but I guess he programmed it into his.)

If you do exactly what this person does (and he does it at a comfortable pace so it should be clear what he's fidgeting with), you'll be able to start the aircraft.

Very cool....

Just out of the cockpit now after a brief circuit in UHMM Magadan.
    It seems a little easier than the T-154M fs9 version.
    Maybe it needs different engine sounds, they do not roar anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by robertorizzo View Post
    Just out of the cockpit now after a brief circuit in UHMM Magadan.
    It seems a little easier than the T-154M fs9 version.
    Maybe it needs different engine sounds, they do not roar anymore.
    I haven't tried these, but they're out there:
    http://avsimrus.com/f/fs2004-sounds-...issbier-V2.zip

I agree that it is a bit easier than the M due to the lack of pressurization system.
    With that being said though, this new version does come with an INS on the '90's panel versions, and that's a new learning experience. (There are actually full directions in the back of the flight manual for the INS. I haven't messed with it yet.)

Right now, other than the lack of some VC click-spots (almost exclusively in the overhead panel), I can't get the digital transponder in the 90s panels to turn on, so I did some swapping to provide a 2D pop-up with the 70s style transponder.

Wide 16:9 panel

2D panels are old-fashioned but I hate to cycle thru cockpit views and see these ugly stretched gauges... Here is a tentative of wide panel for 16:9 and 16:10 monitors. Hope you'll like it...

Attachment 51429 Attachment 51430

Easy installation: Attachment 51431

Blog Entries
    Sean??
    A couple questions if i may..
    Does the joystick configuration panel rely on the registered version of fsuipc ( using PT's registration? ) and, do you know of any way around the issue of msvcp50.dll not being compatible with windows 7??The
    reason i ask is because it appears that the only way to register fsuipc any more is to buy it.. PT's generosity in setting up a registration to use for the aircraft in fs9 is commendable, but apparently mr Dowson has changed his business practices.
    On the problem with MSVCP50.dll, any suggestions would be appreciated..
    Thanks
    Pam

Pam,

1. The joystick config panel:
    You do not need a registered copy of FSUIPC for the utility to work.
    I have a copy myself, but it is not registered and my joystick utility works just fine.

I have not dug back into that section of the manual, but don't worry about needing to register anything. I didn't have to prior to anything working, and things seem fine.

2. The DLL.
    Did some very quick research, but unfortunately I am not very familiar with that problem. It seems as if the OS is supposed to have it or something, so I'm not sure why it would be missing.
    I'm still a hold-out with XP, so I don't know if things changed with 7 or not.
    Unfortunately, the most trusted sources that I can find do not recommend using those DLL download websites (which makes sense), but pretty much state that it's difficult to pin down the cause of that DLL being missing or corrupted.

Are you getting this DLL error just in relation to the Tu-154, or just FSUIPC, or what?
    (Again, this addon does not require a registered version of FSUIPC, and to be honest, I'm not sure if this FSX edition requires it at all.)

-Sean

EDIT: So....you're actually trying this out? Neat!

Hint: Besides the joystick utility coverage in the manual that is necessary to read, just focus on pages 24 to 33 for now, and do not worry about calculating the weight and balance for the stabilizer talk on the top of page 30. You can fly generally fine without worry too much about the finer aspects of the stabilizer trim if you don't want to bother with it.

Though I've been working with this plane for a while, I too have my limits, and for me that is the following:

No HBY/RSBN navigation. (Maybe one day, but for now it just seems pointless. Limited to Russian and some CIS countries, very old and outdated, and overly complex.)

So far for simming in general....no INS/FMC/FM-whatever flight management computers. However, I'm going to see how complex this new included INS is...so a bit of that may change.

Another Tu-154 specific: The manual focuses quite a bit on 1) old style HBY/RSBN nav...as I said, don't worry about it, and 2) They have a tendency to calculate things to the extreme.
    If you can fly safely don't bother trying to calculate by how many millimeters you should have to move your controls over a certain flight regime and all of that BS. Just enjoy the plane and what it gives you. Yes, it will take practice, and some things are necessary to learn, but definitely not everything since you're not flying a Tu-154 for a living in the real world.

Side note for Vonstroheim or other experienced Tu-154 users here:

Vonstroheim, have you been able to get the digital transponder to turn on with the 90's version? I had to do some panel config work in order to get the old style 70s transponder in so I had something to work with. I can't find the digital one as a 2D pop-up, and it's not responding to interaction from the VC.
    Also, thanks for the GPS recommendation (the PAD one). Using your hint and it works like a treat since I don't own RealityXP products.
    I'm wondering if the original 2004-era KLN simulation that PT provided with the M works here?

Blog Entries
    Thanks for getting back to me Sean..
    The dll problem is specific to vista/win7 as its compatible with the OS.. Was trying to do things by memory n but looks like i'll have to find the joystick setup in the manual first.. Followed along with the video and managed to get one engine started, but only one.. The engineering panels are different by just enough to require a bit of creativity..
    I'll give it another go tomorrow.. ran out of patience tonight..
    Pam

Oh: A PS I suppose.. yeahh, gonna keep trying it.. Have liked this plane since it was first released in fs9.. That, and i cant stand the idea of being beaten by a machine, regardless of the language.. So far, that video is the best reference i've seen. Itsjust a matter of leartning what the differences are and how the same functions are mapped on the fsx panel.. Maybe later on, I'll drop in a GPS and a compatible autopilot in a drop down window so that i can use it for more than vfr flights..

Pages 17-21 for the joystick utility.
    Unfortunately, it's a necessity, and also unfortunately, it's kind of weird. Took me a bit of time to learn, always takes a bit of time to program fresh, and luckily I remembered something about getting the reverse thrust to act correctly that saved me some troubleshooting time in the long run. (On my Saitek throttle, reverse is a "button" function for each lever rather than an axis. Programmed center throttle lever's detent to overall reverse, and adjusted all throttle centering parameters once notch back to -0.01.)

I have a config ready for a Saitek Pro Flight system (+Pedals) in the off chance that you can use it.
    (Yoke, Three-Lever throttle, and Saitek Rudder Pedals)

With the utility itself, mainly program the following:

Elevator
    Aileron
    Rudder
    Left Brake
    Right Brake
    Throttle 1
    Throttle 2
    Throttle 3
    Elevator Trim
    AP "Off/Disconnect" function
    Reverse Thrust
    Looking forward, left, right, and in-between on hat switch.

This stupid little utility is neat once you get it to work, but is probably the hardest thing to explain. That being said, if you (or anyone else) needs help sorting it out, let me know.

Also, in the long term when you get to basic VOR to VOR navigation, let me know, because it's really odd. (Nothing is easy with Russian logic apparently).
    The basic principle is the same, but the gauge interaction is just weird.
    Unfortunately, this involves learning a bit of the autopilot, regardless of whether you actually intend on having the AP fly the plane for you. (You can have it on, but not fly the plane...different nav and approach sub modes...yeah...just worry about the other stuff first.)

EDIT: While I very much enjoy helping people with this aircraft, I also don't want to extend this thread for 50-odd pages as it turns into "Tu-154 School". Don't know if I should set something else up...elsewhere or what. Obviously questions here are great right now because they can help everyone that views them, but I don't think that SOH as a whole would appreciate a huge 154 thread if more people get into learning the thing with assistance. Conundrum....

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTK View Post
    ...have you been able to get the digital transponder to turn on with the 90's version?
    No, sorry... I'm really not an expert in avionics, even western style... This TCAS/XPDR is quite dead in my Tupolev too...

I'm wondering if the original 2004-era KLN simulation that PT provided with the M works here?
    The kln90b.gau is a fs2002 gauge and doesn't work in FSX, only FS9... too bad...

I don't want to extend this thread for 50-odd pages as it turns into "Tu-154 School"
    Maybe we could go back to your old "russian airliners" thread for this kind of posts? Tu-154 avionics applies to most russian aircrafts...
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...sian-Airliners

Don't forget there is a english-speaking PT forum with a direct line to Kirill Konovalov!
    http://www.protu-154.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12372

And with google translate you can follow the Tu-154B-2 adventures in the russian avsim forum...
    http://www.avsim.su/forum/topic/1215...-2-fsx-10beta/

Vonstroheim,

Understood.
    Regarding 154 training, I set up something here as a subsection of a larger forum that I am on:
    http://www.aviationcafe.co.uk/Index/viewforum.php?f=59

Also, keeping in mind that 2004-era Tu-154B-2 liveries work with this FSX model, there are approximately 100 liveries available for this aircraft at this time:
    http://www.aviationcafe.co.uk/Index/...hp?f=61&t=1265

Where is this joystick configuration thing? I can't find it and the manual lacks the information. I suppose it's needed, because I just put the thing the air today (in the right way, for the first time) just to find out it banks all over like it's alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefano Zibell View Post
    Where is this joystick configuration thing?
    There is an invisible click spot on the left side of the windshield (2d main panel only). Click on it and you have some icons appearing. The first one (I think) is the joystick panel... I didn't use it yet... I should because otherwise I don't have any trim... too lazy...

Just a final reminder that I have set up an English-language "help center" of sorts for the Tu-154 (and others) here:
    http://www.aviationcafe.co.uk/Index/viewforum.php?f=59
    You have to register in order to participate, but if you're interested in tackling the Tu-154 and would like regular assistance, this is the place to go.

Mods, I think at this point this can drop from the stickies due to the slowdown in responses. Thanks!

We'll keep it glued for a day or two. That way those that don't check in here daily will catch your message. :salute:
    Regards,
    Robert

UPDATE AVAILABLE:

http://www.protu-154.net/forum/viewt...12373&start=15
    (halfway down the page)

BACK UP ANY REPAINT ENTRIES YOU HAVE IN YOUR AIRCRAFT.CFG PRIOR TO INSTALLING THIS.
    YOU WILL NEED TO PUT THEM BACK INTO THE NEW CFG!

Attention!

Update 1.0 Beta to 1.0 Beta 2 Available

List of Changes:

1. MSRP is fixed
    2. Panel initialisation system fixed. But there is a small chance to have the old problems. Use in this case "Reload Aircraft" function.
    3. Front wheel steering switch and "10-63" are clickable in VC now.
    4. Animated and Clickable RSBN channel selector
    5. TKS is clickable, lamps are working now. TKS is fully functional in VC
    6. TKS Start lattitude fixed, RV selector Start altitude-fixed
    7. 70's Bitmaps of overhead corrected- no more "holes" for TCAS and VBE.
    8. Exterior textures corrected(assymetrical wheels)
    8. UMRT in VC are in place now. 1-2-3.
    9. TCAS panel opening fixed
    10. Yoke and pedals animation in VC is not linked directly to control surfaces anymore.
    11. FSsound.dll is needed. This file needed for Crew Voices
    12. Added missing effects files
    13. VC light changed, now pedestal and front part of overhead are visible at night.
    14. PNK lightning changed, now gauge lights are linked to switch. But Engeneer's gauge have old light system now.

You can download patch here http://files.protu-154.net/PT-154B2_...v1_0_beta2.exe

Warning. If you download installer before 21:20 20.11.2011. just re-download and reinstall beta2. Installer updated

YOU NEED 1.0BETA! This is patch, not the completely new installer!

Additionally, a really nice Interflug repaint is now available on flightsim.com!
    tupolev_tu-154_interflug.zip

I have a listing of all (or nearly all) repaints available for the Tu-154B2 (remembering the 2004 versions work in X) here:
    http://www.aviationcafe.co.uk/Index/...hp?f=63&t=1304

Thanks for the HU Sean!!
    Anneke

Nice to have this update.

A question: does Vonstroheim wide panel files work with this update?

I think the panel.cfg (and also the aircraft.cfg) have been modified by this TU154 update.

I would appreciate if Vonstroheim could have a look at the new panel.cfg.

Thanks

Edmundo

I keep coming back to this thread because like Pam the idea of a machine beating me drives me nuts.

Going to have to set aside some time next R&R to learn this thing, see where it is at in another 2 weeks.
    You take it easy.. and have a nice day