(NEW) Project Tupolev Tu-154b2 - FSX-Native (freeware) - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: (NEW) Project Tupolev Tu-154b2 - FSX-Native (freeware)

This one could have been a real winner if only the developers would simply have included an auto start function. As I recall, I had this aircraft in FS9 and never could get the darn thing to start. As my frustration level grew so did my desire to delete it from my system, which I finally did.

I will not put myself through that again knowing that the outcome will be the same. Too bad, it seems like a fun plane to fly.

Please remember that there is a clear, easy to follow flight manual in English included in the download.
    I detailed where to locate it in my original post in this thread.
    That's how I learned the aircraft, and I don't speak a word of Russian.

To start, focus on two parts of the manual first:
    1) The joystick setup utility (can't recall the manual section number at this time).
    2) Section 5.3 I believe (around page 22 give or take one) that leads the user very clearly through the startup procedure and post start instrument setup procedures. Pictures, reference numbers, and clear English text are all used.

Perhaps another 154 pilot here will type out the startup sequence, but I can't think of a clearer way to do it other than what is found in the manual.
    As always though, I'll help with more specific questions for those in the process of learning this aircraft and who read the manual.
    I'm also happy to help with the administrative nature of trying to locate some of the 2D windows, since this FSX model did move some things around a bit due to running out of Shift+key assignments.

EDIT: Repaint Ideas for the Tu-154B2...

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Balka...1cb45bfcad4c54

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Siber...1cb45bfcad4c54

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Tarom...1cb45bfcad4c54

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Malev...1cb45bfcad4c54

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Aerof...1cb45bfcad4c54

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Pulko...1cb45bfcad4c54

http://www.airliners.net/photo/LOT--...1cb45bfcad4c54

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UTair...1cb45bfcad4c54

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Ural-...1cb45bfcad4c54

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Orbi-...1cb45bfcad4c54

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Kolav...1cb45bfcad4c54

Tu-154B2 By Project Tupolev

Almost everyone who has started this a/c and flown a circuit or done touch and goes in FS9 has loved it. I am not good at refering to a complicated and illustrated manual 'on screen' so I bit the bullet and had it printed out and bound professionally. Having done that, life became very similar to a real 154 pilot doing a cold start-up. The live conversation between the Capt or Co and Groundcrew provides real atmosphere. A lovely a/c to hand fly and great ambiance from the sound-set. A real gem.

Once I mastered start-up followed by circuits and touch and goes, I parked it in the hangar and have not flown it for a year or so. I simply do not have the time to go through the cold-start procs every time I want to fly it, plus if you save a flt with engs running, when you go back to that flt, engs are off. For the Project Tupolev Team, putting in a 'quick start' proc would probably be like the Pope inviting Richard Dawkins for tea, but I can assure them that it would shoot their a/c way up on the popularity chart. But it is obviously not what they care for. Having stated that - has anyone ever asked them . . . .

Lovely work, lovely a/c and flt model, beautifully translated manual, but no 'quick start'.

Blog Entries
    Welll, When i stickied this, I knew it was beta, but, i also know that Project tupelovs beta's are better than a lot of people finished products.
    I had hoped they would have provided an alternative to that start up procedure ( ctrl-E would be good and takes no code. in fact, they had to write code to defeat it ), as many of us ( most of the ones wanting an autostart ) are developers and frankly we're buried up to our eyeballs in our work. We dont have the time to learn a complex procedure for one plane.. Hell , most of us spend 90 percent of our time learning complex planes anyway. we have too, because they're what we're building.. When we fly, many or us just want to relax, and repeating what we did through the day by rifling through data and trying to follow along, is not relaxing..
    I have had this run in with the PT team in fs2004 and i cant say that i was treated very well ( more like insulted in the extreme ) and i was hoping they would have gotten a clue by now ( its been a very long time ) because we really need this aircraft in fsx, but it needs to be accessable to the world and not a small group of elitist's. and no, you guys are part of my family, I am not calling you elitists..
    For me personally, I guess I'll either have to wait for Igors Yak-40 or Vonstroheims version of the tu-154..
    Pam

I agree in full that creating a "ready-to-fly" panel state wold really boost this thing up for the masses.

Beyond insisting that they wanted to create a full, hard-core (in apparently the truest sense of the expression!) simulation, you also have to consider that the systems logic here is immense. Beyond all the systems that you have to fidget with just to get the engine running, the real fun begins after engine start....when you have to set up the instruments for flight. I think that's the other really big factor here is that the avionics have a ton of custom code built in due to their unique nature, and it sounds like it would be just as much of a pain for them to code something to set up all the systems automatically, as it is for many of you to learn the thing.
    With this plane, the set-up goes beyond just turning a couple switches to on. There are buttons involved to rotate and align gyros based on your geographic position and heading while parked, among other factors.

To be frank, as much as I agree that a quick-start would be wonderful, I really don't think it's even possible to code in without introducing a very high likelihood of systems/avionics error, which would prevent proper navigation from occurring, with a new user being none the wiser and claiming that the addon is severely messed up.

I was lucky in that I got into the Tu-154 series multiple years ago, and thus had time to really dig in and figure the plane out. If I was just getting into it today, I would be a little hesitant to tackle this myself.

@Pam, I'm very sorry to hear that you were treated poorly by the PT team or members of their forum. I do not post there myself due to the forums tendency to only cater to extremely technical questions. It seems like they are really set in their ways in making this a complex sim with no mercy whatsoever. It's great for some, but not for most, which really doesn't help the already prevalent bias against Russian designs in most simming forums.

Two side notes:
    1. Not to show off, but just to give an idea of how long it takes from cold and dark state, to "ready to taxi" state, I'm going to time my next use with it. Yes, this is when you really know what you're doing, but maybe it'll serve as a booster to a few that are on the fence about learning it.
    2. For those that are fiddling with it and want to add engine smoke....don't. This is the B2 model of the Tu-154, and the B2 uses Kuznetsov NK-8-2 engines, which actually don't produce the billowing smoke clouds, as strange as that may be.
    That being said, the backwards thing about this is that the later model (and much more common) Tu-154M uses a different engine type (Soloviev D-30KU-154), and that does produce those black smoke trails at elevated power settings.

This is right up there with PMDG level stuff, and is probably just as tough, if not more so....to learn due to the avionics logic differences, the language differences, and the no-mercy nature of this addon production.

I actually feel kind of bad for bringing this addon to this crowd's attention due to the apparent frustration and bad memories that it's caused, but if it makes one or two lurkers aware of another bit of high quality freeware, and they're willing to stick with it, then that's good.

For those that wish to take it on, excellent, best of luck, and I hope you enjoy it. For those that pass on this, that is very understandable!

Blog Entries
    Its possible Sean.. PMDG did with their NGX, and there were real world 737 drivers posting real world 737 videos to explain how to fly it and use all the systems. The NGX is another hard core aircraft, but its accessible and can be operated by people of almost any level of experience. I firmly believe that PT team could do this as well. The question is, is "will they"??
    Pam

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Its possible Sean.. PMDG did with their NGX, and there were real world 737 drivers posting real world 737 videos to explain how to fly it and use all the systems. The NGX is another hard core aircraft, but its accessible and can be operated by people of almost any level of experience. I firmly believe that PT team could do this as well. The question is, is "will they"??
    Pam
    That's the issue I was thinking of when I wrote that previous message. Yes, I can tell myself, and it's obvious anyway.....that this Tupolev is incredibly complex, but if other devs can......(granted, that's payware and this Tu is free, but...)

While I don't have the PMDG NGX (maybe in the future after a system update), I know it's pretty much the most complex and true-to-life thing in the FS world out there right now, so it may very well be (and I suppose likely is) just a strange attitude thing with the Project Tupolev developers. So yes, the question is "Will They?" and if I can add "Why Not?" to that.
    I'm all for a simpler mode of operation if it gets other people into it.

EDIT: Pam, if you look on page 2 (or where ever its at now), Vonstroheim did finalize his mods for the 154 just a couple days prior to the release of this one, and that is definitely simpler to use. I didn't even have much time to get into it, but it looks great, and autostart works on it. I would have to pass support for that version onto him though because I didn't use it enough, but that's the simple option right now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanTK View Post
    I

I actually feel kind of bad for bringing this addon to this crowd's attention due to the apparent frustration and bad memories that it's caused, but if it makes one or two lurkers aware of another bit of high quality freeware, and they're willing to stick with it, then that's good.
    Sean, dont feel bad. Like i said, FSX NEEDS this plane: This exact plane ( It also needs Igors Yak-40 ). Yeah, PT's attitude really sux for most of us because it really DOES make many of us look at Russian aircraft with a slightly more than cynical view. That and Samdims incredible aircraft ( with only 2D views ). Theres a whole bunch of us that want russian aircraft, and PT is part of the reason we want that aircraft. But time is at a premium and we just dont have it for running through start up procedures. I rarely fly the NGX for the very same reason. And yeah, PT has an attitude, and most of us just dont have the patience for it..
    Pam

Blog Entries

EDIT: Pam, if you look on page 2 (or where ever its at now), Vonstroheim did finalize his mods for the 154 just a couple days prior to the release of this one, and that is definitely simpler to use. I didn't even have much time to get into it, but it looks great, and autostart works on it. I would have to pass support for that version onto him though because I didn't use it enough, but that's the simple option right now.
    Awesome.. Thanks Sean
    Pam

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Awesome.. Thanks Sean
    Pam
    If you need me to lead you through how to assemble the three components in order to get the thing in game, let me know, because it even through me for a bit of a loop due to all the folder names for the mods in Russian.
    In fact, I may just post here later anyway on how to do that.
    (I kind of just want to repackage everything, but there's legal issues there.)
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...irliners/page6

For those wanting a Tu-154 without the headache, standby for a few hours until I can get some pictures up of what goes where for Vonstroheims mod of the VITAMIN' model, unless he beats me to it.

Simple Tu-154 (M model) courtesy of SOH member "Vonstroheim".

This should end the headaches with the Tu-154B2 by PT.

Ingredients:

Gauges --

http://files.protu-154.net/
    ^^Download the FS2004 Tu-154M. Point the installer at a folder that you create on your desktop just to get everything out in front. Don't load into a sim.

41246-Tu-154M-dlya-FSX.zip
    @Avsimrus
    ^^You will be taking gauges from this file.

panel.0.2.zip
    @ bottom of page 5 of SOH thread from Vonstroheim
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...irliners/page5

Visual model and sounds --
    23722-154-vit.zip
    @Avsimrus

Pausing here, if anyone needs help figuring out how to download from Avsimrus, let us know.

Beginning your installation/file transfer.

Unzip all three files onto your desktop. I recommend putting them side by side.

Open the vit.zip file folders until you get to the following path:
    ....\Desktop\23722-154-vit\154 vit\154 M Vitamin

Open the 41246-Tu-154M-dlya-FSX.zip file structure until you reach what looks like "En-154i" folder. (Sorry, I don't have Cyrillic characters...)

You should have dumped the official project tupolev 154 exe file into a desktop folder somewhere so you can access the files at this point.

Take the gauges out of the official PT 154 gauge folder in that files structure and place them in yoru 154 M Vitamin "Panel" folder.

Open up the panel folder of the "En-154i" folder from the 41246-Tu-154M-dlya-FSX.zip file,
    and copy and past everything from that folder to the Vitamin "Panel" folder,
    EXCEPT the Tu-154m_Main.bmp.

(Vonstroheim may need to confirm this. I don't use 2D panels so I didn't check to see if that was OK to have since it looks different than the official PT main panel bmp file.)

Copy the Groza, panel.cfg, and vc texture file from Vonstroheim's Panel.0.2.zip file into the Vitamin model's Panel folder.

Place that main aircraft folder "154 M Vitamin" in your typical FSX/Simobjects/Airplanes folder and enjoy your plane.

If something doesn't jive, let me know, because I suck at writing instructions like this, and the process is confusing as is.

Vonstroheim may need to confirm this. I don't use 2D panels so I didn't check to see if that was OK to have since it looks different than the official PT main panel bmp file.)
    Yes you get it right! But let's keep this thread dedicated to the FSX Tu-154B-2. You may switch to this "russian airliners" thread for more informations, tips and tweaks on this non-official FS9 Tu-154M portover. You may ask questions there...
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post640334

If you really need to fly the FSX Tu-154B-2 and don't want to read the manual to master the cold-and-dark startup sequence, just move out of the "gauges.shared" folder the file "es_154b2x_1_0.dll" (that's all the engine gauges, Sean, read on, don't get mad at me just yet!). Remove also out of the main gauges folder the "Tu154_cfg" folder, it's the cockpit sounds management. Don't forget to open FSX with a default aircraft with engines running, then switch to the Tupolev. You'll be able to take off, fly around, take some exterior screenshots, have a bit of fun...

Then you'll get hooked with this bird and you'll want to try it with the complete startup procedure, and you won't regret it, it's addictive! Спасибо Кирилл - merci Cyrille - thanks Kirill !

Attachment 51223

All PT Tu-154B-2 repaints for FS9 are compatible (DX9 only). This one is my favorite (41052-Siberia-85556.zip). Looks like it's photoreal. There is hundreds of them at avsimrus and elsewhere...

Don't forget to copy the corresponding texture.cfg file to the new repaint folder. For each repaint, keep only these 5 bitmaps, TU-154B_MainA_T.bmp, TU-154B_MainB_T.bmp, TU-154B_various_T.bmp, TU-154B_WingL_T.bmp, TU-154B_WingR_T.bmp, create your own thumbnail.jpg file, et voilà... Some might want to try a DDS conversion for DX10 support... and post it here!

Even without the engines gauges and complete avionics, the VC looks very nice... But don't get used to it, try the real thing!

Attachment 51227

Various resources:

If you don't have the payware Reality XP GNS430, try the freeware "FS9Garmin!GNS430" gauge.
    I found mine in a PAD aircraft, the FS9 DHC6-400 Amphibian.

Alternative freeware "FS9 style" soundset "Sounds of the NK-8-2U for PT Tu-154B-2" by F. Weissbier:
    19933-Ty-154B2-NK-8-2U-engine-sounds-by-Franziskaner-Weissbier-V2.zip (avsimrus)

Payware native FSX soundset "Tu-154M Soloviev D-30 soundpack" by Turbine Sounds Studio (not for the B-2, but not too expensive... I hope they'll send to Darren and me a complimentary copy for this free advertising...)
    http://secure.simmarket.com/tss-tupo...pack-fsx.phtml

And a VIDEO TUTORIAL on how start the engines! Captions are in russian but images are for everybody! BCY means APU... etc...
    http://www.avsimrus.com/f/simulators...ion=viewonline

For some reason I can't find the button to edit my original title post in this thread. Anyway....

Here is the full official announcment in the new section of the PT forums for those that want more details:

http://www.protu-154.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12373

Quote Originally Posted by vonstroheim View Post
    All PT Tu-154B-2 repaints for FS9 are compatible (DX9 only). This one is my favorite (41052-Siberia-85556.zip). Looks like it's photoreal. There is hundreds of them at avsimrus and elsewhere...

Don't forget to copy the corresponding texture.cfg file to the new repaint folder. For each repaint, keep only these 5 bitmaps, TU-154B_MainA_T.bmp, TU-154B_MainB_T.bmp, TU-154B_various_T.bmp, TU-154B_WingL_T.bmp, TU-154B_WingR_T.bmp, create your own thumbnail.jpg file, et voilà... Some might want to try a DDS conversion for DX10 support... and post it here!
    Excellent! I've been wondering about grabbing an old-style Siberia livery!

Returning the favor, this is a very nice livery too! Too bad that they merged under Rossiya and then they ditched the 154s for their commercial operations:
    8201_Tu-154B_Pulkovo_85579.zip
    @Avsimrus.com

Other than a cursory load-up and quick look around, I have yet to dive into the blue-panel version of the Tu-154, which features a GPS and what at first glance looks like a new digital FMS system (yuck! haha!).
    Biased towards the classic green so far!

For the newbies, one thing worth mentioning is that depending on what the outside air temperature is, you may need to switch on an extra switch on the engineer panel within the engine starting selection cabinet. I threw myself off yesterday trying to start up in Quebec with real weather. Had to remember to add that little extra boost due to the cold conditions!

Finally, for those that really get into this aircraft, this is required reading:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tupolev-Tu-154.../dp/1857802411

I have a copy, and it's an extremely thorough source of info on the entire 154 series. (Including the experimental 155, powered by hydrogen, and drawing board references and info on future models that were once considered.)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-155

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Geez now I'm gonna have track down a Cubana (Cuba) paint, thank you vonstroheim:salute:

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Great work all of you on this endeavour to make this aircraft flyable for idiots:costum::ernae:
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Eh it works. Now no english tool tips and off to figure out AP and lights.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

I wasn´t able to fly with the blue panel 90. The green is OK, but the former crashes FSX.

Anyone?

Thanks

Edmundo

Quote Originally Posted by ega View Post
    I wasn´t able to fly with the blue panel 90. The green is OK, but the former crashes FSX.

Anyone?

Thanks

Edmundo
    While I haven't experienced that, I think it's related to the addon calling for the RealityXP unit just for the blue panel.
    Try either commenting it out of the cfg, or replacing it with the PAD recommendation that Vonstroheim previously mentioned in this thread.

@CG,

The Nav Lights, Rotating Beacon, and Cockpit Panel lights are on the upper center portion of the center console.
    The taxi and landing lights are on your main panel view in 2D mode. Top two extend/retract landing light filaments, bottom two switches switch between taxi or landing lights.

I never thought I would see the day when a freeware aircraft was put down because it's systems were to complex and in the appropriate language? I wonder if the Russian flight sim community say the same thing about English freeware? kinda doubt it. Now off I go before I get beat on...

СПАСИБО! I have waited a VERY long time for this!

Спасибо, хорошо

Привет, Сколько лет, сколько зим!
    Большое спасибо за информацию.
    Я благодарен Вам за помощь.

До свидания, До завтра. На здоровье
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Pentium D 925 3.0Ghz dual core800 MHz FSB, (HP)MB Livermore-GL6, 2GB RAM PC2 4200 DDR 2 533 Mhz, ATI Radeon HD OC 4890 1GB GDDR5, Turbo-Cool 510 ps, Vista SP2 Home 32 bit, MS Sidewinder FF2, REX 2.0

Followed the video exactly. Didn't work. Whatever is at 30 doesn't go to 60 (talking 'bout the ones above the engine RPM gauges), and I can only fly with the APU on and no gauges. A step by step in good old king's english would be nice...

Being a beta, it's got some bugs. I can get the engines and instruments online but oddly enough if I release the parking breaks, all 3 engines cut off. I'm sure PT has their hands full with this one. It would be nice to see a full tutorial video at some point.

[QUOTE=SeanTK;642698]While I haven't experienced that, I think it's related to the addon calling for the RealityXP unit just for the blue panel.
    Try either commenting it out of the cfg, or replacing it with the PAD recommendation that Vonstroheim previously mentioned in this thread.

Thanks Sean,

I do have the RXP gauge but no, it does crashes FSX all time, even after comenting the RXP gauge!
    Will research the problem! This is fantatstic package.

Edmundo

Hi Vonstroheim,

Thanks for your very useful information!

I tried to install the 41052-Siberia-85556 TU154 you recommended.

I did copy the the corresponding texture.cfg and kept the 5 bitmaps you mentioned. But I cannot get this livery to show up in FSX!

In addition, as I have alreday posted before, the panel 90 blue crashes FSX all the time (but panel 70 blue or green are OK!).

Do you have any suggestions?
    Thanks

EDIT: Got the panel blue 90 working (fixed the problem with RXP gauge). But the Siberia-85556 does not show up! Can it dhow anyway? This livery is composed of bmp files and the original have dds files - do I need to convert the bmps´s to dds?). Thks
    Edmundo