Am I turning into a grumpy old git?

Thread: Am I turning into a grumpy old git?

Am I turning into a grumpy old git?

I may be old fashioned, but I feel if I use my hard earned to purchase a flightsim addon, then I am entitled to support if I experience problems. I've had 3 occasions recently where support was needed; in one case, Razbam, the problem was speedily rectified; in the other two cases I received (a frankly quite rude) answer to my support request & an incredulous post in their "support" forum - the other company just never bothered responding at all.

Over the years I've had help from many people, often above & beyond what I would have expected; my thanks to the guys at Ron & Larry at Razbam, to Bazzar, to David & Karen (from the DSB days onwards), to the guys at Justflight, to Jesse (he was always helpful to me) for unceasing & consistent quality customer service. :salute: The rest of you, THAT is the level to aspire to, not fob us off & then expect us to come running back wallet in hand when you have your latest release.
    Andy

Charter Member 2011

A: Yes

Me too.
    I have two Captain Sim models that refused to activate, no matter what.
    I do not miss an opportunity to mention this.

At the risk of this turning into a slug fest... I must say that I am in total agreement with you chaps. I have several payware kits that I cannot get re-activated, one of which is my Capn' Sim C-130. Funny, I got their Starfighter to work just fine tho. Numerous requests to get support have either gone un-noticed or been ignored altogether.

<--- Is that really a Sea Fury in that picture?

BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    Yes. Some 'Sea Furies' are ex-Iraqi Furies, but that is the genuine article.

At the risk of this turning into a slug fest... I must say that I am in total agreement with you chaps. I have several payware kits that I cannot get re-activated, one of which is my Capn' Sim C-130. Funny, I got their Starfighter to work just fine tho. Numerous requests to get support have either gone un-noticed or been ignored altogether.
    That is the frustration, when you can reactivate/install some products but not others. It bugs me when the knee jerk response is "it must be your system"; if it was my system then NONE of them would work, rtf email before you give me half-baked responses. Oddly I have always found Captain Sim support to be fine in the past; but then the 2 companies I am really hacked off with were always good .... in the past.
    Andy

RE: Am I turning into a grumpy old git?

Apparently, but with good reason. When any developer demands as much money as payware is going for these days It is, IMHO, incumbent upon them to support not only their product, but the purchaser too! More power to Grumpi Old Gits!!!

LA

Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

in a word...... Yes

but i agree theres a few who need to get them lacking areas up to par, no good shooting par when the others are holing out for Albatross', Eagles and Birdies.....

Strange you have trouble with the C-130. I just reinstalled mine today, on my new 'puter, with zero problems. I haven't had them installed for a few years.

Was reinstalling to check out a false hit by my Norton 360 on the ACE_AC-130E.exe and deleting it from the harddrive I had in my old 'puter. The new one tested fine.

Also reinstalled my F-104, no problems. The downloads are from '05 and '06, and have been transfered to at least four different harddrives. One of those harddrives was screwed up when we had a sudden power outtage during a defrag, when a car hit a power pole in town!

The only payware I had real problems with was some older FSD's before they did a complete redo in their customer support department a couple years ago. No problems since, except some of the older texture packages absolutely refuse to even open, or if they do, can't find the aircraft, no matter what. Apparently, FSD just quit supporting those, although they are still onsite.

Just lucky, I guess.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Which is worse...turning into a grumpy old git or turning into lumpy old grits? I never was able to keep that one figured out right.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    Which is worse...turning into a grumpy old git or turning into lumpy old grits? I never was able to keep that one figured out right.

OBIO
    Somehow, the word "chessy" comes to mind. But then I do live in the Deep South.
    Racartron
    it means something, but I just can't remember what

Don't confuse grumpy old with experienced and insightful. I've had great help from Flight1 with installation and re-DLs, everyone at PAD, individual authors and designers like Damian R., but rude from FSD (unblievable, even silly flight dynamics and contact points). I'd say that's about the standard ratio of helpful to unhelpful.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

SOH-CM-2020
    I've been fairly fortunate with payware, but one aircraft did cause me grief several years ago and I didn't get it resolved to my satisfaction by the developer.

I had to redesign the panel ( replace gauges ) so I could still fly it. It could have been a Vista OS issue but it just wouldn't install properly ( it worked OK in my old XP computer ). I'm still flying it ( now in Win 7 ) but using 'my' panel.

While we're handing out congrats ..... a huge thank you must go to Holger Sandmann who spent a lot of time helping me get the various Fjord scenery's installed correctly and sort out numerous double coastline issues.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by aeromed202 View Post
    Don't confuse grumpy old with experienced and insightful. I've had great help from Flight1 with installation and re-DLs, everyone at PAD, individual authors and designers like Damian R., but rude from FSD (unblievable, even silly flight dynamics and contact points). I'd say that's about the standard ratio of helpful to unhelpful.
    My past experience with Flight1 was always good, but that attitude seems to have changed; they have certainly failed to 'step up to the plate' with my current issue and a little Googling has revealed that the 'support' guy in question is beginning to build himself a reputtion for rudeness - the net result is, I am extremely unlikely to ever buy anything using their wrapper system again. If this was something I'd bought from a shop I'd be asking to see the manager about now, but I have no idea who that would be & the impression I get is they don't care anyway.

Ah, Bob May of PAD, one of flightsim (and life's) gentlemen. :salute:
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG43 View Post
    Ah, Bob May of PAD, one of flightsim (and life's) gentlemen. :salute:
    Agreed, whole heartedly here. My hat is also off to Phil at (the former) Aphasim, Frank Safranek, Dave Brice as well as a host of freeware dev's and painters, Smoothie, Nigel Richards, Milton Shupe and Dave Garwood .

A SPECIAL MENTION FOR MY GOOD FRIEND, HENRY :ernae:, right here at SOH.

The list of good folks out there far outweighs the few who really don't seem to care much. Reckon that's pretty much what's kept me in the virtual cockpits all these years.

Agreed, whole heartedly here. My hat is also off to Phil at (the former) Aphasim, Frank Safranek, Dave Brice as well as a host of freeware dev's and painters, Smoothie, Nigel Richards, Milton Shupe and Dave Garwood .

A SPECIAL MENTION FOR MY GOOD FRIEND, HENRY :ernae:, right here at SOH.

The list of good folks out there far outweighs the few who really don't seem to care much. Reckon that's pretty much what's kept me in the virtual cockpits all these years.

Have to agree BB, with all of those names. I do have a support request in at Virtavia, which has gone unanswered for a while, but I think Phil may have bigger fish to fry at the moment; certainly in the past he has always been brilliant. And Dave Garwood, what can I say .... his unselfish approach enabled me to add the Hunter FR10 to my lineup, and to share that with others.

And as for Henry, it's great to have him back, at least somebody else will help me defend the honour of de Haviiland's Wooden Wonder!!
    Andy

Yes you are a grumpy old git...but don't worry I am like that too, if that is any consolation.
    Sid

I've been fortunate with payware in that I've managed to receive sufficient support for the few issues I've had, including the CS C-130s.

However, I had one semi-serious (to me) probelm that involved a new Razbam download...BUT I CREATED IT! Ron answered my distress e-mail within an hour and was very understanding of my delima, which, by the way, he didn't have to be, accepted my explanation of my BONEHEADED mis-que and fixed MY error within the next hour!

Fast, courteous, efficient support, and went the extra mile when he truly didn't have to. I am a returning customer of Razbam, and returned again this past weekend to finish off my FS9 collection of Razbam models.

Thanks again, Ron, for the great support and, of course, the great models. :salute: :salute:

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

If this was something I'd bought from a shop I'd be asking to see the manager about now, but I have no idea who that would be & the impression I get is they don't care anyway.
    Update - posting in their forum that they obviously didn't care got me my first response in over 2 days, in the form of 2 private messages & a request for more information from Da Boss. So this may be retrievable, but why was it allowed to get this far?
    Andy

Very odd jobs man and MiGaholic
    Nothing wrong with being a Grumpy old git I was born as one .

Steve

And as for Henry, it's great to have him back, at least somebody else will help me defend the honour of de Haviiland's Wooden Wonder!!
    And now... there are three of us. The Mossie is one of my favs in FS. I'm just flying freeware versions tho. Heres to Henry

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Have to agree BB, with all of those names. I do have a support request in at Virtavia, which has gone unanswered for a while, but I think Phil may have bigger fish to fry at the moment; certainly in the past he has always been brilliant. And Dave Garwood, what can I say .... his unselfish approach enabled me to add the Hunter FR10 to my lineup, and to share that with others.

And now... there are three of us. The Mossie is one of my favs in FS. I'm just flying freeware versions tho. Heres to Henry

Andy, Tom; if its defending the Mossie, count me in!

...oh and Andy, you're not a 'grumpy old git'. All you ask is a little courtesy!
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    ...oh and Andy, you're not a 'grumpy old git'. All you ask is a little courtesy!
    Thanks Nigel. BTW, finally got a result with Flight1, so can now fly the Bear Studios Mig 15; turns out my original order was so old it was done before their system was upgraded - now why didn't I think of that ..... oh wait, I did, and suggested that might be the problem a week ago. Never mind, problem solved, thanks to Mr Halpern.
    Andy